The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2018, 11:11 PM   #26
primerman

WOW! After reading some of the responses you got I may never reload again.

Don't give in right away, if you have the Lee loading manual (I guess maybe the Second Edition) just open it up and start reading from page one. If you're like me it will take a few rereads but you will get through it. Lee's manual might not be the best but it's not the worst and it has a lot of good information to get you started.

You will have to make your own mistakes along the way with flaring the case mouth, bullet seating, and the occasional crimp or no crimp. I might mention that sometime in the future you invest in a bullet puller? Lots more but you can't learn it all in a couple of emails.

Start reading your manual/s and after a while it will start making sense. Once you start loading ammo you will want to buy more equipment like scales, calipers, powder throws, micrometers, etc.

But until then;
Good Luck
Old October 4, 2018, 11:15 AM   #27
Onward Allusion

^^^^
...Totally agree!
Old October 5, 2018, 09:19 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

And to echo myself, let's just help him use the Classic Lee Loader for now:
  1. Stick to powders listed by Lee for the scoop that comes with it. Use no others without appropriate scoops.

2. Stick to the bullets listed by Lee for the loader, especially the bullet weights listed for the scoop and powder combinations, as heavier bullets than listed will raise pressure.

3. Stick to brass cases (they litter every range for you to pick up) that have a single centered flash hole in the bottom and whose case walls go down nearly to the bottom of the case before they thicken appreciably.
Do these things and the Lee Loader will work and be safe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle