The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2010, 12:52 PM   #101
oneounceload

Is that kinda like the old saying:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”........
Old May 7, 2010, 11:13 AM   #102
556A2

Quote:
CLEAN YOUR CHAMBER WHEN YOU BRING NEW TOY HOME. THERE IS GOO IN THERE
Worth Repeating

Just a quick pass of a brush & a solvent-soaked patch will not remove the factory preservative.

You need to scrub the chamber good several times, and use several patches. Last NIB 870 I bought I spent about 5 minutes doing this, and I used about 5-7 patches before they came out completely clean.

Normal cleaning & shooting will not remove this.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:36 AM   #103
rc601962

My gun finally works now. It went back to the gunsmith for the second time. He replaced the ejector, tuned the extractor, and polished the chamber a second time. It extracts perfectly now.

I hope he billed Remington a fortune for all the warranty work. They should have built the gun correctly the first time.

P.S. I asked the gunsmith (actual gunsmith, not internet wise guy) about the "goo in the chamber". He laughed. He told me Remington has been cutting corners and sees the new 870s back all the time. The chambers are rough and too short.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:15 PM   #104
Deerhunter

I am not sure why everyone has problems with the 870. I got 870 Express Mag back in 1998. The only problems I have ever had with it is when a flock of geese come in and I pull the trigger and it goes click. Wish we could put more than 3 shells in. I was waiting to shoot a round of skeet once at Ft. Bragg. There were a couple guys that asked me to jump in with them. They were all shooting their $2500+ over/unders. I hit my first and second single. THen as I was loading uup 2 shells they asked if I wanted the doubles or singles again. I took the doubles with no issues. Not sure how may rounds I have put throught it hunting but no issues. I love that gun.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:48 PM   #105
MAX100

Quote:
I am not sure why everyone has problems with the 870. I got 870 Express Mag back in 1998.
The newer Express shotguns are the ones that have problems, some not all. The ones 10 years or older are good guns.

GC
Old May 29, 2010, 07:34 PM   #106
JNewell

Quote:
I am not sure why everyone has problems with the 870.
Not everyone does. If you frequent fora for any kind of interest, you'll find that a small number of problems can echo forever.
Old June 1, 2010, 02:30 AM   #107
bu88a

I too have a new 870 express magnum combo I bought in early 09'.

Quote:
But, I don't recall ever reading of the problem arising in a well broken-in gun using Remington ammunition.
It would lock up on me after rounds trap shooting with federal budget loads and remington sport loads both purchased on special at Wal-mart. (admittedly this shotgun is still fairly new I would say it has about 500 rounds throught the long barrel trap shooting it might iron out over time)

I did get a new trigger group on warranty after discovering a cracked piece (I believe it was a transfer bar that disengaged the action lock). After installing the new trigger group the problem seemed to be solved. Every once in a while a round gets a little stubborn. What it feels like is the brass head is cocking to the side and binding up on the left side of the chamber. when I pull back on the fore end it is not frozen locked but feels springy like the hammer is trying to push the bolt assembly back forward. A little elbow grease gets the shells out every time. I have put buck shot through my 18" imp. police barrel no prob. Slugs through my 21" riffled barrel no prob. The cheap wal-mart target ammo sometimes gives me grief. If I shoot my reloads in Remington Premiere STS hulls, it seems to cycle much better! Perhaps there is a little skimping at the Rem factory but the ammo being produced today is equally if not more suspect than the firearm IMHO. That being said just yesterday put 50 rounds of the cheap stuff down at the trap pad without a hitch. I don't know what to think any more other than if I have to defend myself, home or family with my 870 express... I am going to yank on that action with all I've got just to be safe.

Last edited by bu88a; June 1, 2010 at 02:49 AM.