The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 18, 2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Machine Gun shoots

So I hear about the machine gun shoots like at Knob Creek, etc. I would like to participate because it looks like pure fun.

I would like to join in these machine gun shoots. But, my understanding is that an NFA owner can not transport the guns across state borders, without notifying the ATF. So how do you guys go to these machine gun shoots with your machine guns? Is it mostly local NFA enthusiasts? Or do people really apply with the ATF to take their guns to the shoot, if they live out of state. How long does it take for ATF to approve the transport request?

I've never been to a machine gun shoot. How do they typically work? Can someone describe their experience at a machine gun shoot.

My other motivation for going is that I want to find an E4 upgrade kit for my pending M60. Do they have vendors who sell these kinds of things?
Old March 18, 2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Sharkbite

To go between states you file a form 5320.20. and tell them where you are taking the NFA items

You can fill it out up to 1year in advance. Most guys that travel with "toys" fill out a new form on the 1st and just continue to do it every year after.

List ALL the states you might travel to and your good for the year
Old March 18, 2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I want to find an E4 upgrade kit for my pending M60. Do they have vendors who sell these kinds of things?
At the Creek there are vendors that are selling small artillery pieces. Yes, there are vendors that would sell an E4 kit for an M60. You may not find one there but if you ask around I am sure you will find someone who has or can get you such a thing.

Old March 19, 2014, 04:54 AM   #4
Beretta686

When it comes to MG shoots I've found that there's the big public ones, but there's also many private ones that are invitation only. If you hang around the NFA crowd long enough, you'll start hearing about them.

But as the NFA game changes from an affordable hobby for eccentrics to something where the starting price of entry is north of $5k and cheap surplus ammo becomes totally extinct, MG shoots will become the purview of the wealthy. It used to be at MG shoots you'd meet regular folks who just happened to own an MG that they got way back in the day. But as those people die off or cash in on their opportunity to make a 1000%+ profit, they're not going to be going to shoots or hosting them anymore.

So the MG shoots that do happen, are going to be more like a country club get together, than the delightfully tacky "Beer, Beef & Bullets" Machine Gun shoot I used to go to out in the Texas Hill Country every year.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old April 11, 2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Machineguntony

Now that my machine guns are in, I am itching, just itching to attend a machine gun shoot. Anyone know of a machine gun shoot in the Texas area? Preferably within the central area of north, as I wouldn't mind driving.

I have not had this much enjoyment with my firearms, like ever.

It's good to live in the country of Texas, where free people live! You guys in New York and the People's Republic of California should come here.
Old April 13, 2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Mike703

Check out

www.subguns.com Message Board Shooting Events...there's a match scheduled for Texas