The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2001, 05:56 PM   #1
Frenchy

Today was the first time I've had, to put my new Winchester 59 through it's paces. To say I was pleased with the results would be a gross understatement.
I ran 50 rounds through it on singles and some doubles, and was able to powder 44 out of 50. That, for me, is a monumental accomplishment.
The gun mounts beautifully, and puts me on the sight line every time. I can't believe how fast I can get this beauty on target. At about 6 pounds, It's a joy to handle. Because of it's lightness, I was concerned about not being able to follow through on the bird, but it was not a problem.
I used the 26 inch barrel with the modified choke tube and Win. AA 7 1/2's. I didn't have time to try my other 59 with the full choke 28 incher.
The only problem I can report with the gun is the failure of the bolt to lock open after the last shot, on 3 or 4 occasions. I'm hoping that a good cleaning and oiling of the action will take care of that.
The recoil was not uncomfortable even with the plastic butt plate, although after 50 rounds I do feel a little tightness in the shoulder. A vest with pad should remedy that.
All in all, a good day at the range with a shotgun that should prove it's worth in the field.
Old April 26, 2001, 06:39 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad it's working out for you, OJ. Have you patterned it yet?

You may want to have your smith take it apart, clean/lube the innards, and check it out.
Old April 26, 2001, 08:57 AM   #3
Frenchy

I haven't had a chance to pattern it as of yet. Hope to this weekend. As for the gunsmith, that's next on the agenda!