The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2019, 07:22 PM   #51
Doyle

Quote:
Me, I could manage to clutter a entire basement or garage given enough time.
Old June 18, 2019, 08:50 PM   #52
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Ten years ago, my reloading area was a 30x80" bench in an apartment.

Today, I have an 1,120 square foot basement full of "schtuff", with about 60% of it guns/reloading and another 10-15% camping/hunting.

I need to do some sortin' and donatin'...
Old June 18, 2019, 10:58 PM   #53
Marco Califo

Quote:
In my experience, allowed enough time, cluttering does not abide by bounds any more than cats do.
Old June 19, 2019, 07:19 AM   #54
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I think a lot of people have started out with the Lee Loader. When I was first working at mustering the courage to try making my own ammo, I seriously considered the Lee Loader, along with the Lee hand Press and their entry level 'C' press.

I decided against the Lee Loader for a couple of reasons. First, I didn't like the notion of loading with a hammer. Second, there was no path to other calibers -- I was looking at .45 ACP, and to jump from that to 9mm would mean another Lee Loader kit.

Overall, unless you need high volume I think the Lee hand press is an ideal tool for reloading in an apartment. It does the job, it uses conventional dies so you can change calibers just as easily as with any bench-mounted press, and (as others have already commented) the whole thing can be packed away in a tool box where it's safe from the prying eyes of the landlord or maintenance personnel.
The downfall of the Lee Loader is it is only for one cartridge. I used mine for one year and decided to buy a press when I made the decision to load .38/.357 also. But, if you only intend to load one cartridge it isn't a bad option. I too didn't like using a hammer, but it worked.
Old June 19, 2019, 07:17 PM   #55
gwpercle

The only downside is the banging ... I own my house but that pesky lady who shares a bed with me said the pounding had to stop .
That led to the Lee Hand Press . In an apartment I'm sure the pounding would disturb someone..either next door or below you.
But if you can solve the noise problem...they work like gangbusters.. one in 30-06 and another in 45 acp got me started reloading ammo in 1967 .
I did it outside .. the lady of that house , my Mom , didn't tolerate pounding on things inside her house either .

Gary
Old June 19, 2019, 08:56 PM   #56
Geezerbiker

A Lee hand press would be cheaper, but you could use a Harbor Freight arbor press with a Lee loader. They're not that expensive and would work without having to be bolted down for a light job like sizing cases...

I made do with a Lee loader for a few years while I only had one center fire rifle that took very expensive ammo. By the time I had 2 center fire rifles, I had picked up a used RCBS press and started gathering dies for it.

Tony
Old June 19, 2019, 10:32 PM   #57
Marco Califo

I love LEE hand presses. I have two. They get more use than my Lyman turret and Redding single stage combined. You can use one to deprive or size pistol cases in front of the TV.
Old June 19, 2019, 11:34 PM   #58
pwc

I share my reloading area with the water heater.

Get a security system and tell mgmt they are not allowed entrance without someone being there; police will respond. Change the key lock.

Keep press and guns in a locked foot locker / chest, and as said earlier, keep quiet about your hobby.
Old June 20, 2019, 12:44 AM   #59
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc
Get a security system and tell mgmt they are not allowed entrance without someone being there; police will respond. Change the key lock.
Read the lease ...
Old June 20, 2019, 01:44 AM   #60
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
I love LEE hand presses. I have two. They get more use than my Lyman turret and Redding single stage combined. You can use one to deprive or size pistol cases in front of the TV.
I use a hand press with a ram prime to prime cases while watching TV. One of these days I'll put a TV and a comfortable chair in my gun room but until then I use shoe box side tubs to carry brass and tools to the living room...

Tony
Old June 20, 2019, 09:48 PM   #61
SHR970

[quote}Read the lease ... [/quote]

Read up on Tenant / Landlord rights in YOUR state. A Texas boiler plate (several rental agencies are based out of Texas) in California is not worth the paper it is written on due to state laws for more than several of their favorite clauses. Same may apply in your jurisdiction.

I stand by my comment and it will likely apply in most if not all states......if they are opening your boxes and rifling through your property they have some splainin to do.
Old June 21, 2019, 11:11 AM   #62
zxcvbob

Assert your rights as a tenant, but DO NOT change the locks.
Old June 21, 2019, 11:27 AM   #63
Metal god

As for my idea of building in the closet . Just ask if you can build a small office like space in the closet .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 22, 2019, 09:55 PM   #64
Medic101

Sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread, but I decided to build a bench tailored to the foot print I have available. My mom had a leftover piece of countertop from a kitchen renovation that I can use, and i'm going to use 2x4s for legs and stringers. Since I don't have any vertical limit other than the ceiling, I want to make some cabinets to store the supplies when not in use and secure them with hasp locks
Old June 22, 2019, 10:05 PM   #65
Medic101

Additionally to those who wondered the calibers I want to load are 7.5 Swiss, 30-06, .308, .223 & .38spl for what I own now, but I hope to add 8mm mauser and 6.5 Swede eventually
But I started to look into the prospect for the Swiss ammo since I can rarely find it and when I do it's expensive. And for the Swiss enthusiasts I don't even need to start on the extinction of GP11.
Old June 23, 2019, 09:48 AM   #66
kmw1954

One of the guys on another forum I visit uses on of these, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72...2-H9/204597567 He has a benchtop built in and his press is recessed into the top so the doors can be shut and locked. Must work well because he is shooting weekly and reloads everything he shoots.

Nice thing is, everything gets closed up and locked. no need for anyone to know what is inside.
Old June 23, 2019, 02:25 PM   #67
zxcvbob

Quote:
He has a benchtop built in and his press is recessed into the top so the doors can be shut and locked. Must work well because he is shooting weekly and reloads everything he shoots.

Nice thing is, everything gets closed up and locked. no need for anyone to know what is inside.
An old sewing machine cabinet might be good for that. They are pretty sturdy, and the top folds down to make just a table when the machine is not in use. I don't know if the skirt would hide the reloading press or if you'd need to throw a table cloth over it.
Old June 23, 2019, 05:29 PM   #68
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have an old sewing machine cabinet (with an old sewing machine in it). They aren't as sturdy as you seem to think they are, and they aren't at all heavy. It might work for a small single stage press if you only load small caliber stuff. I'm sure it wouldn't be very good for resizing bottleneck rifle brass.
Old June 23, 2019, 05:35 PM   #69
zxcvbob

Quote:
I have an old sewing machine cabinet (with an old sewing machine in it). They aren't as sturdy as you seem to think they are, and they aren't at all heavy. It might work for a small single stage press if you only load small caliber stuff. I'm sure it wouldn't be very good for resizing bottleneck rifle brass.
Thanks, I might have been thinking of the treadle machines.