The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2019, 12:09 PM   #26
TunnelRat

Eh, idk if they were this bad.

I don't get any joy out of someone having issues. I think the design itself is kind of cool.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 17, 2019, 01:34 PM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
Eh, idk if they were this bad.

I don't get any joy out of someone having issues. I think the design itself is kind of cool.
Same here. The gas-delayed blowback is cool and it's nice to see there is still interest in the system.

Quote:
AH MAH GERDZZZZ! THEY MAKE CURTAIN RODS! THEY CAN'T MADE DA GUNZEZ!
But Glock's reputation (which they had to earn) and handling of early Gen 4 problems is a far cry from Umarex's reputation of putting out one problem child after another (SP22, P22, PK380, "new" PPK .22LR, CCP). And they muddy the water by putting the "Walther" name on their products.

They do this to confuse consumers and profit off the Walther name (who actually still makes very high-quality firearms at their factory in Ulm).

Ultimately, it's the consumer that suffers here, and there is no pleasure to be found in that. I definitely understand the OP's frustration.
Old June 17, 2019, 02:39 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

Walther claims it will stand behind it. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old June 18, 2019, 06:55 AM   #29
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
Walther claims it will stand behind it. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
What do you plan to do then? Shoot it and see? Or sell it? Return it?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old July 13, 2019, 06:17 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

Walther came back yesterday.

They received it Wednesday 3 July and it's back on 12 July. Not a bad turn around time.

It would have been here sooner had Walther's staff not been quite so difficult to communicate with. It was not a particularly good customer service experience.

According to the paperwork they replaced the striker spring and the spring guide. No indication as to what might have caused the failure. OK, I guess I didn't really expect that level of speculation.

I'm going to try to get it to the range this weekend, but not sure if I can.

But, I still LOVE how this thing sits in my hand. Absolutely adore it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 13, 2019, 03:21 PM   #31
sigarms228

Thanks for the update. I hope your new CCP functions to your expectations now.
Old September 1, 2019, 07:35 AM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, FINALLY was able to get back out to the range with the repaired CCP. Took a couple hundred rounds of WWB 115 gr FMJ and a box of Ranger 147 gr JHP.

I put about 100 rounds through it with only one bobble, a failure to fully chamber a round. That might have been me as I was concentrating on not death gripping the gun and I might have had it just a bit too loose.

The trigger is very funky and I was having problems getting used to it but I was tightening my groups up by the end. Recoil is pretty light, even with 147s, but it really needs a heat shield above the trigger as it gets very hot there due to the delayed blowback piston.

It's a fairly long trigger reset, but that's OK because I'm really used to revolvers in that sense.

The one thing I don't much like about it is the shield behind the magazine release. It makes it rather difficult to release quickly.

Safety could use a bit more of a positive detent, but that's not a big deal.

All in all, I really like this gun. I was really upset when it crapped out so quickly on me during my first range trip, and I fully intend to put it through a couple more range sessions before I start carrying it, but I'm really hoping that it pans out. It's pretty much everything I want in a primary carry gun.

Old September 1, 2019, 08:34 AM   #33
Cary

Mike good to hear you got your pistol back and it functions as it should. I purchased a Walther Creed a couple of years ago as my first foray into pistols and really like it. I latter wanted a smaller pistol to carry and went with the PPS M2..Both guns and have performed without a problem. Keep us updated on how this gun works out for you.
Old September 1, 2019, 01:02 PM   #34
Skadoosh

Interesting failure.

My own Walther CCP M2 has been flawless after 2,500+ rounds of mixed ammo...including +P. It currently rides in a Vedder LightTuck w/claw. As of three weeks ago, it is now equipped with DXT Big Dot sights, which makes it pretty much my perfect carry pistol. My only complaint is that it gets pretty warm after the fourth mag, but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to piston pistols.
Old September 1, 2019, 02:12 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

Good, I'm glad to hear that. I'm really hoping that the issue with my CCP was just a one off thing that won't be repeated.

Old September 3, 2019, 09:18 AM   #36
Carl the Floor Walker

Mike, I would not pay attention to the internet garbage concerning Walther and Umarex. These kind of comments posted on the internet simply are not true and not worth the discussion.
What I find interesting is how people will Parrot talk their knowledge of Umarex which consist of what they heard from another internet poster. In fact, they say the say exact verbiage.
They know nothing about the history of Umarex, distributorships, Corporate ownership's and on and on. I use to get into the discussion years ago, but gave that up.

Congrats, you have some really nice guns and it seems you are going to have some more in the future. Thanks for Posting.
Old September 3, 2019, 10:59 AM   #37
Fishbed77

Quote:
Mike, I would not pay attention to the internet garbage concerning Walther and Umarex. These kind of comments posted on the internet simply are not true and not worth the discussion.
Internet garbage? Please elaborate.

The quality differences between Ulm-manufactured Walthers and the Umarex-manufactured pistols branded as Walthers has been well-documented, and many, including myself, have first-hand experience with them.

Perhaps a visit to Waltherforums.com would benefit you. There are many experts there who can provide further education.