The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 11, 2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

New Colt Python?

I was on the Colt Forum & read that Colt is coming out with a new Python. Has anyone heard about this? If so what are your felings in this?
All comments are welcomed.

Doc
Old June 12, 2019, 06:42 AM   #2
PzGren

I remember also when there were rumours a few years ago, that an Italian manufacturer of replica S/A revolvers was going to manufacture the Python again and am still walting for that. I think it was Pietta.

The Python action had a lot of handfitting but the main feature was the midnight blue that came from experienced gun smiths that polished the pistols on walrus leather buffing wheels. While a lot of the handfitting can be eliminated with modern CNC machinery, the polishing will still be labor intensive and costly.

Korth in Lollar had tried to bring the old line of traditional Ratzeburg Korths back in late 2008 and it was not commercially successful until they completely redesigned the gun and dropped the hand finishing and going to a matte finish. Korth in Ratzeburg had handpolished the guns with sanding blocks and the resulting cost was not competitive. If Colt comes up with a traditionally made Python, the cost will be staggering and most likely at the same level of the traditional Korth revolvers.
Old June 12, 2019, 10:15 AM   #3
reddog81

I’d be surprised if they jump from their current offerings right to a Python. They’ve been taking baby steps with the new models. I would think the Python would be the culmination of their offerings. They know a Python would sell, but it’s in their best interest to sell a bunch of other stuff first. I just wish they’d step up the pace of the new offerings.

I would bet a new Python would be introduced as a stainless steel model rather than a blued model at least at first.
Old June 12, 2019, 01:28 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The New Cobra and New King Cobra are in size, a beefed up Detective Special.
If they put a vent rib and adjustable sights on that frame, they ought to call it a New Diamondback.
Old June 13, 2019, 05:26 PM   #5
KyJim

Quote:
The New Cobra and New King Cobra are in size, a beefed up Detective Special.
If they put a vent rib and adjustable sights on that frame, they ought to call it a New Diamondback.
This may be their next step, but they are not going to call it the New Diamondback; it's just going to be a plain ole Diamondback for marketing purposes.