The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 7, 2019, 02:41 PM   #101
straightshooterjake

I am generally a fan of Greg Ellifritz and his activeresponsetraining.net site, and the above article is no exception.

However, the last photograph in the article shows an interesting paradox. The photo shows a SWAT team which I think is from another country. It is a large and well equipped team with many members, matching uniforms, full gear, and lead by a shield bearer. It is pretty convincingly a real law enforcement team. However, it appears that all the members of the team have their weapon mounted flashlights attached with duct tape. In the US, if I saw weapon mounted lights attached with duct tape, I would pretty much assume that I was not looking at real government agents.
Old June 7, 2019, 03:56 PM   #102
Skans

I watched the video. I would have called 911 and reported a break-in. The "Agents" were all wearing bullet proof vests. They appear to have been armed. I'm not good enough to make 3 head-shots at people who are wearing clothing that say "Agents" and be certain that I am not firing on law enforcement officers.
Old June 8, 2019, 12:32 PM   #103
BWM

They could had watch the place to see if he was there!!!!
Old June 9, 2019, 08:56 AM   #104
P5 Guy

Path of least resistance, the person you seek is not here and has not been for decades come on in and look for yourselves, just to NOT make a mess.
Old June 9, 2019, 11:59 AM   #105
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy
Path of least resistance, the person you seek is not here and has not been for decades come on in and look for yourselves, just to NOT make a mess.
First, you must be a very trusting person to be able to assume that the thugs banging on the door are what they claim to be. Second -- do you really think they won't toss the place looking for a skip they somehow (for erroneous reasons) believe is hiding in your house?

Sir, without any intention to be derogatory, I think you are very naive. Bounty hunters (which is what bail enforcement agents are) are -- as a class -- scum of the earth. You have to take that into account is assessing a potential course of action.
Old June 9, 2019, 12:44 PM   #106
Glenn E. Meyer

That's a good point. In the case, here, you had law enforcement presence also. That probably means they are legit if wrong. A shootout with them would have unintended consequences. Greg's article makes the point of ID with the local law.
Old June 10, 2019, 05:34 AM   #107
Spats McGee
Staff

I didn't go back and re-watch the video, but as I recall, the bondsmen didn't claim to be police. One of my major problems with their behavior is that even if they are exactly who they claim to be, licensed/certified/etc. bond recovery agents, they have no right to enter the home. And again, I'm under no obligation to believe that random strangers on my doorstep are who they say they are.

I've seen mentions of the police being on scene, though I didn't see them myself. I'm troubled by this, because the lack of intervention on the part of the police tells me that the police believe the entry to be lawful. Incorrect, IMNSHO.