The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 8, 2007, 03:09 PM   #1
james6102

Need Help With old Ranger .22

I would appreciate any help in identifying the manufacturer and original model number on an old .22 we have.

The stock was replaced years ago with a generic stock so I have disassembled the rifle to take pictures of it without the stock so that it would not influence any assistance. In addition the knob on the rifle bolt was also replaced however I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to remove that because it is VERY secure.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...s6102/mech.jpg

The barrel length is 26 inches. and tapers in diameter from 1.9cm (.748 of an inch) at the base to 1.575cm (.62 of an inch) at the muzzle.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...102/barrel.jpg

The only markings on the barrel is Ranger .22 CAL.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...102/ranger.jpg

The only other marking that I could find anywhere else is what appears to be an arrow inside a circle. and that is located on the Bolt's handle.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...6102/arrow.jpg

Now I know that Sears marketed .22 rifles under the Ranger brand, and I suspect that this may be one of them.

The difficulty lay in identifying who manufactured this particular weapon for them.
Most of the .22 rifles that I can find images and specs on have 24 inch or shorter barrels. And I still have not found a picture of one of these old .22's that have a front sight exactly like the one this rifle has.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...Frontsight.jpg

This rifle is excellent, From 200 yards it keeps it's grouping to within the size of a quarter.
(That was before my eyesight began to age along with me)
Which brings me to my current dilemma and the cause of my search for information.

I wish to mount a scope on this weapon.

However I do not want to have to drill another hole in the barrel in order to mount the scope.
The rear sight is mounted by a screw, and I am hoping that there is a scope base that I could attach to the barrel using that hole only.

(Yikes! I didn't realize how detailed these photographs would be. YES.. that is rust on the barrel. I had better get out the cleaning kit. )

(I guess most things are a little rusty after 50 years. I know I am, and I'm not that old yet. )
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../rearsight.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Browning 22 Auto Barrel Mount?
I think that it is made by Burris Optics http://www.burrisoptics.com/bases.html

It appears to be the sort of base that I might be able to use(size depending). as it would extend the scope back over the breech but still allow me to load the rifle (One shell at a time). However I would like to know how secure a barrel mounted base like this is. I don't want the scope to become misaligned because the base came loose or wobbles because it is attached by only one screw.

I hope that someone here can help me with the information I am seeking, as well as any other suggestions on mounting a scope on this rifle without drilling into the barrel.

Thank you for your patience with my ramblings.
Old February 8, 2007, 03:47 PM   #2
deadin

IIRC,
Ranger was a Sears & Roebuck "trade" name and any of a number of companies made rifles for Sears under that name. I have a Stevens 416 that was also sold by Sears as a "Ranger" (Your rifle is not the same.) I would imagine that you need to look at Mossberg, Savage, or any other manufacturer from the 1930-40's to see if you can find one that is similar. The bolt handle is somewhat unique, so I would concentrate on that.

The most interesting thing is the marking on the bolt handle. That is a Canadian Military property mark, so the rifle may have been a trainer at one time.

Dean
Old February 8, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Scorch

Your rifle is a Winchester Model 67 or 67A.
Old February 8, 2007, 09:20 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is not a Winchester 67, there is too great a distance between the rear of the receiver and the port. Also, the bridge split is too low; the Model 67 has its split directly on the top.

In fact, it appears to be a Cooey, made in Canada before Winchester took them over. Many were used by the Canadian military as training rifles and so have the Arrow C property mark.

Do a Google search on "Cooey rifles" and quite a few turn up, with pictures.

Jim
Old February 8, 2007, 10:50 PM   #5
Dave Haven

The Winchester 67 also has a one-piece bolt body and a different sear/extractor than the rifle in the photos.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6
james6102

I think that Jim is Correct

Scorch's Suggestion that it was a Winchester Model 67 or 67A, had me looking at the Winchester line. The model 67 and 67A did not look quite the same as the rifle I have. The 67 series has a safety lock which this rifle does not have. I found a reference that stated the 67 series was derived from the earlier 60 series that did not have the lock mechanism. And the rifle does bare a striking resemblance to that series. However the front sight on the Winchester line was not exactly the same as the one on the rifle that I have.

Jim's suggestion that it may be a Cooey sent me looking along that line.

Oh, By the way, I thank everyone for their contributions to my request for help.

Now where was I, oh ya, in searching for Cooey rifle information, I found this picture at
http://members.axion.net/~pdbaetz/cooey.htm

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...02/Cooey-1.jpg

although it is not the clearest, the front sight is the same as the rifle I have.

Now the task is to identify which model I have.
Cooey made three single shot .22's, the Model 39, the Model 75 and although it doesn't appear on this picture the model 750.

So I'm wondering what the difference between the three models is?

And still trying to figure out the best way to mount a scope on this gun without drilling it?

James
Old October 22, 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Lone-Wolf

Scope Solution

I have a rifle similar to this - mine is a m34 - Did you ever figure out how to mount a scope?
Old October 22, 2008, 01:30 PM   #8
SDC

The "arrow in a C" mark on the bolt handle appears to be a Canadian military property mark, which makes it more likely to be a Cooey as well.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:35 PM   #9
james6102

I have not found an easy way to mount a scope

Unfortunately I have not found an easy way to mount a scope on this rifle. The solution that I have been working on is a custom designed stock that positions the barrel of the rifle partially within the confines of the stock. allowing the scope to affixed to the stock without damaging the barrel of the rifle. I am trying to design the stock so that the breech is located near the butt of the stock, thereby shortening the overall length of the weapon without shortening the barrel itself. (this involves designing a remote trigger mechanism that also has a safety lock.) ..It's a work in progress..
Old October 22, 2008, 07:50 PM   #10
PetahW

Just my $0.02, but since the rifle has zero collector value (restocked, etc), I would install a Weaver side mount base to the left side of the action.

I've successfully used it on several older .22 boltguns, that were sans scope mounting grooves.

The base will accept either 1" or smaller(older) Weaver bracketed rings, which will hold a scope in a low central overbore position.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=119028

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...671&t=11082005

Old October 23, 2008, 01:35 AM   #11
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I think the key word here is Ranger.
As previously presentd, Sears used Ranger on several firearms. Looking at the photos it appears to be a single shot .22. The only single shot .22, that I could find with the Ranger logo is the Sears Ranger model 101.8 which shows as the Stevens model 83

See Diagram below

HJN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEARS RANGER .jpg (109.0 KB, 1268 views)
Old October 30, 2008, 11:56 AM   #12
mokomon

ranger .22 rifle

I have basically the same rifle but with what I think is the original stock . Mine says...Ranger Senior on it . If you would like some pictures , I could send some . I am interested in how old mine is as well .
Old January 20, 2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Mr_Raw

I know I'm late to the party, but what you have there is a pre 1961 Cooey 75, manufactured in Cobourg Ontario.

Cooey made many single shot models, most notoriously the 39, 75, and 82
the 750 was made by Winchester after after it bought Cooey in 1961.

Essentially the only difference between the 39 and 75 is barrel length and stock length.

The 82 has a full length stock and rear peep sight it was designed for use by the Canadian, Australian, and British armed forces as a training rifle to free up more service rifles for the war effort.

As for mounting a scope, you could use the rear sight nut and attach a weaver style rail to it.
Old January 29, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
i tutor dr phil

looks like one i had

HEY JAMES6102

i owned a .22cal single shot ranger. i think someone may have replaced the stock because mine had a barrel band and no stock forward of the band...but i could never tell if it wasn't the original stock. i never researched pictures or anything til lately and i dont have the rifle anymore. it was stored at my fathers farm and when he died my brothers took the guns as part of the estate and i don't know what happened to them.(never saw them listed in the final accounting of the property, they musta kept'em)

it could of belonged to a gun lover that cut and reshaped the stock forward of the barrel band position to look original.

anyway, my gun shot at least as good as you describe your gun shooting.

the reason, i think, is the chambering. my gun had no markings except "Ranger" that i remember. no caliber except maybe ".22cal" written on it. anyway i made this account to tell you , very late in the game (lol MR.RAW), that i think my gun was chambered in only ".22long"

the reason i think this is because when i used to always finger push the ".22 long rifle " bullet into the chamber it stops just short of properly seating against the chamber ever time. the last little push would feel like engaging the lead into the rifling.

AND HERE IS MY POINT... one of the major factors in the accuracy of a bullet is the distance it must travel before engaging the rifling.

of course the chamber pressures were higher because of this but it never affected my gun from what performance i saw its whole life with me.
(i would never recommend this with center fire bullets, they might explode the breech)

i was amazed at the accuracy of my dumb, love-able, little 22 with the front barrel band replaced with a ziptie and a flathead screw for a rear sight.

i kick myself for not fighting harder to stop them from taking my guns from me. i do understand why my brothers and sisters did it. it's because they "grew up" in the "lean years" of the family... the hard years...when the family had very little and struggled. i was the youngest and grew up in the "good years" when the family business did very well and they had all moved out. so i understand their jealously and resentment and their need to take things because they feel they missed-out and they can't accept that their life was not as good as someone else.

what a weird sensation it was to watch them descend on the estate.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:52 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .22 Long Rifle has been around since 1887, so I think it is safe to say that any bolt action .22 not specifically marked for .22 Short, was made for .22 LR.

The normal way of mounting a scope on rifles like that is to use a side mount, but to be honest, that rifle is in such poor shape that I wouldn't spend any money on it. It has earned retirement, and I think it deserves it. There are many later and better .22 rifles looking for a good home that are already grooved for a scope and have the right stocks.

Jim
Old February 9, 2014, 10:59 AM   #16
courtmac4

Ranger 22

I have the exact rifle. My Mother ordered it from Sears around 1963. I just says RANGER .22 cal. S-L-LR. (The S-L-LR is written under The RANGER .22 cal.) I would love to buy a bolt for this rifle. Lost mine, ... Thanks.
Old February 9, 2014, 04:38 PM   #17
gyvel

It's a Cooey. The same basic single shot rifle was made as the Model 82 trainer with a full length stock to resemble a Lee-Enfield.

Yes, the "broad arrow inside C" is a Canadian military mark. More than likely, the original bolt was replaced with one from a Canadian military Model 82.

No, it has no resemblance to a Winchester 67 since a 67 barrel and receiver are made in one piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooey Model 82.jpg (24.5 KB, 179 views)
Old February 9, 2014, 05:51 PM   #18
Dc777

I'm not saying it is a high standard, but keep in mind they were one of the many companies that produced guns for sears.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old April 1, 2020, 06:02 AM   #19
ThePoliteCanuck

The Ranger .22 is actually a Cooey Model 75, manufactured in Canada and was sold by Eaton's Canada.

I have one, a very safe .22. Make sure to keep the bolt lubricated occasionally, a small oil hole by the firing pin. It will last another 70 years