The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 14, 2006, 06:18 PM   #1
yoippari

nagant m1895 bramit device

I know that the pistol itself isn't hard to find but I can't find the "bramit device" anywhere. It's not like I can actually buy it yet as I'm not 21 but, are the originals still in circulation or is there a modern made "bramit device" that will work?

btw, I'm not 100% sure of the terminology here. Is a bramit device the same thing as a suppressor or is it an adaptor that allows you to attach a suppressor?
Old September 14, 2006, 07:36 PM   #2
VUPDblue

The 'Bramit Device' was a special silencer designed for the Nagant revolver. This revolver was one of the few in history that were capable of effectively hosting a silencer as the cylinder actually moved forward during firing, sealing the gap between chamber and barrel and preventing gasses from escaping. I am sure there have to be some examples of this device out there somewhere, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They are not importable, so they would have had to be registered loooong ago (no offense to my elders ), the only one I know of is in a museum in Langley, VA.
Old September 14, 2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Also, even if you could find one they would be prohibitavely, outladishly, profanely, and almost porongraphically expensive (I do love those adjectives). I would guess five to six figures. I also believe that they require substantial modification to the barrel and sights.
Old September 18, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4
AmesJainchill

Couldn't you suppress a Nagant if you wanted to, pay for custom work?

[I can certainly see the historical appeal of the Bramit device, I'm just wondering.]
Old September 18, 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
yoippari

I'm afraid it will have to be custom. Any idea where I can find info and pictures of one of these things to pass along to the potential manufacturer when I do get this done?
Old September 29, 2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Cosmoline

I believe there is one on display at the CIA museum. Maybe you can ask them to loan it to you
Old October 10, 2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Cosmoline

Here's the only diagram I know of:

Old October 11, 2006, 01:29 AM   #8
max popenker

Cosmoline, on that pics it is not a Bramit device.
In fact, "Bramit" (Bratya Mitiny - Mitin brothers) was a more ol less conventional multi-baffle silencer; the one that is on your pic is an early attempt to make a "sealed" silenced gun; the cylinder on the muzzle rotated on the same axis as the main cyliner; it was used to capture sabots that launched .22 caliber bullets; upon discharge, sabots jammed in the front cylinder, not permitting the fast escape of the powder gases into atmosphere.
the same idea (although sabots were jammed in the mouth of the case) was applied later to the US "Tunnel guns" and Russian "internally silenced ammo"
Old May 10, 2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Natmiel

Silencer

This is the only picture of the M1895 Nagant with the Bramit Device equipped I've ever found. From what I've read, due to the shape of the 7.62mm Nagant ammunition used in the revolver, the Bramit Device was only good for a few shots. There were nine straight rubber "wipes" or baffles inside the jacket of the silencer and they would degrade quickly.

At least, that's what my research has turned up. Hope that helps.

P.S. Sorry that I'm bumping this excessively old thread, but I thought it'd help. I found the thread while researching the Nagant. Through Google.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:34 AM   #10
PTK

That's not a Bramit device... the photo caption from the website that photograph came from even says

"Photo: One of post-war silenced Nagants with a Minireflex Moderator."
Old May 11, 2008, 10:49 AM   #11
SDC

Here's a photo of an original silenced Nagant, from a book called "Guns in the CIS - A Directory of Shooting Weapons", by Blagovestov:

Old May 12, 2008, 07:03 AM   #12
Natmiel

Oh, sorry, my mistake. Then

This is the only photo of a Nagant with a Bramit device I've found. Hope that helps too?

Either way, you can suppress them.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:51 PM   #13
freakshow10mm

Old February 4, 2009, 06:29 PM   #14
SDC

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but I came across mention of this device/revolver in a book I recently bought ("Oruzhie Spetsnaza", by Ardashev and Fedoseev), and thought I'd add what I found; apparently, the brothers Mitny made more than a few suppressed firearm designs, to the point where later partisans would often call ANY silencer a "BraMit device". Anyway, their initial design was of the type described and pictured above, basically a modified 7.62 Nagant that fired saboted .22 calibre projectles; the revolver would seal the barrel/cylinder gap at the rear, and the muzzle was closed off with a pivoting drum that would catch the sabot, but allow the .22 calibre projectile to travel through the device. After the shot, the front drum could be rotated to eject the sabot out the back, and it would be ready for another shot. HTH.

Old February 6, 2009, 09:45 AM   #15
RJay

This devise was alreay discussed in the threads above.
Old February 6, 2009, 09:56 AM   #16
SDC

I appreciate that, but one of the posters claimed that this device is NOT a "Bramit device", and the caption accompanying the above photo clearly states that it is; "Scheme of building of the "silent revolver" of the brothers Mitin".
Old August 12, 2021, 07:26 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

To revive a ghost thread, my book on WW2 sniping will have an image of the Bramit on both a M91/30 and the Nagant revolver.