The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2021, 09:47 PM   #1
Bailey71

Price of ammo in your area

I’ve been looking for 30-30 anything no matter what grain. A lady I work with said her husband can get anything you need. I said cool how about some 30-30. Her man got in touch with me. He found me some Hornady American Whitetail 150 or 170 gn. Nearly $3.00 a round for little O 30-30. So roughly $60.00 for a box of 20. I was pissed. I couldn’t believe it. I said naw man not doin it. He said I don’t blame you. Same for .243 and .270. I didn’t even ask about 45/70 7mm or 300 mag. I know it would be worse!

Last edited by Bailey71; February 5, 2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old February 5, 2021, 09:49 PM   #2
Bailey71

Plus if Biden has his way we can expect 50% tax on top. Our gov here is trying to make Texas a 2A sanctuary state. I don’t know if that will do anything for the pricing though

Last edited by Bailey71; February 5, 2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old February 7, 2021, 08:50 AM   #3
Logs

9mm around here is $1 per round in shops, but you can still find it for $35 per box on local trader sites. I bought two boxes of 9mm from Rural King last week for $11.99 per box since limit was two so new stuff is still being made.

I have seen .22 here from $40 to $60 per brick, but Walmart will still carry Blazer for $26 and Federal in blue box 800 rds for $45 when you can find it.

I just bought a new upper in 6.8 SPC and this stuff is going for over $2 a round. It will be a while before I shoot it.

Good news is that you can still find .40 SW ammo for $25 - $30 a box for ball ammo. I have been shooting my G22 more these days.
Old February 7, 2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Carl the Floor Walker

We do not have any ammo for sale in our area. Yea, you might find a rare box of ammo for sale, but just pure luck. At least with the major calibers. Some odd ball rifle calibers. I have noticed it is getting harder each week. I see more firearms available at the Local Lgs's but no ammo to go with it. They use to sell a box of ammo with each purchase that they had behind the counter. Not sure they do that any longer.

Stopped by the local club yesterday. Saturdays were usually busy. But only three people shooting. Members say they see more Air rifles now and Black powder shooting. I use to go to the indoor ranges twice a week and the outdoor range once a week. Those days are over as far as Powder burner firearms. Thankfully I have been a Air gun Enthusiast for years and have some nice Rifles to take to the range. I also have Air Pistols that I shoot and train with in the backyard to keep up skills.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 7, 2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old February 7, 2021, 09:14 AM   #5
littlebikerider

Ammo? What ammo???
Old February 7, 2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Schlitz 45

Me & the Mrs went out early yesterday on a ammo scavenger hunt & we were 0 for 4. Last stop was a good LGS that did have a shelf of SIG 124gr V-Crown 50 round boxes for just under $45 a box. This is my preferred carry ammo & have plenty at home but anymore if it’s there I’m buying it, so one out of five for the day and at least we didn’t come home empty handed.
Old February 7, 2021, 10:01 AM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
Ammo? What ammo???
EXACTLY..............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 7, 2021, 10:21 AM   #8
buddyd157

i can get reloaded ammo, 9MM or .45 ACP, (the only 2 i need) for $20 (9MM) or $22 (.45 ACP) and each has a $2.00 off your next purchase when i return the spent casings, for another box of ammo.

new factory fresh ammo, prices vary by store. the smaller the store, the higher the pricing.

but here too, new factory ammo, being higher priced, i am all set, as i was buying new ammo last February/March when the prices were like $159.99 for 1,000 rds of 9MM...and no one had any idea back then as to what was about to happen..

i suggest you try fish/tackle/bait shops (like i did) that also sells guns, for possible reloaded ammo sales.
Old February 7, 2021, 11:30 AM   #9
drive_sideways

10mm is the easiest and cheapest to find it seems for handgun ammo, getting boxes of 50 for like $40. 350 legend is also easy to find, I can get a box of 20 FMJ’s for $10-$12 depends where I go, and the hunting ammo is generally around $21-$24 a box of 20, the shops always have it in to. Plenty of shotgun ammo, especially waterfowl and turkey ammo. Everything else is pretty hard to find, 30-30 has gotten not only hard to find but expensive, you will pay more for that then you will .30-06 or .270 up here.... 45/70 ammo is also easy to find, as is 7.62x39. 5.56/223, 9mm, .40, .357, and .45 is very hit or miss. This is up here northern Vermont. 9mm is easier to find then .40, I haven’t bought .40 in months. Good thing I already had stocked up!
Old February 7, 2021, 11:36 AM   #10
thallub

i'm well stocked with ammunition and don't have a good handle on the price of ammo in this area. Did see 20 round boxes of Winchester .223/5.56mm at Academy for $10.99. Limit 3 per customer.
Old February 7, 2021, 12:24 PM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

I thought I was well stocked since I was systematically investing in stocking away ammo for years. To say I am well stocked really does not mean much in today's world or future. What I thought was well stocked turns out to be not true. There were many that wrote about what is happening in today's world now and saying who would take over the US 20-30 years ago. I wish I had started stock piling from that point in time. The thing is, I knew it was the truth 20 years ago and for sure you can see it now, but procrastination just got the best of me.
Since there is no ammo to speak of for sale, only random spurts of a find here or there, I have actually been investing in more Military Ammo Can's to protect what I do have. Also spare parts for all my firearms in case I have to do my own repairs.
I was laughed at years ago, when I invested in two of the same firearms. One for a spare and invested in many magazines for them. Now they are not laughing.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 7, 2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old February 7, 2021, 12:36 PM   #12
mk70ss

Ammo is non existent on store shelves here in middle Tennessee. I have been buying bulk packs on GB though. Got 250 rounds of Federal FMJ 9mm for $200 even, shipped and no sales tax. Also found on GB, 1000 rounds of Aguila 40 gr JHP .22’s for $110 shipped, no tax. I know, high prices, but at least I am getting ammo.
Old February 7, 2021, 03:36 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

My local gun shop deals with a licensed reloader to supply some of his inventory. 9mm goes for $34/box. His quality is outstanding. I reload, myself. But I didn't have a stock of 10mm yet when I bought my 1911. So, I bought a couple of boxes before the shortage hit. I think his ammo is as good, if not, better than most of the Big Boy manufacturers.

Nothing on any shelf anywhere, otherwise. Maybe a box of .22 shotshell. That's about it. Pretty sad that we've come to generating threads asking about ammo pricing and there isn't even any around to provide much of an answer for you...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 7, 2021, 05:52 PM   #14
Twinsig

While we're here,, my 2 below but unrelated to the OP.
Corporate stores here in Bama have the lowest prices but are bought out by the reseller vultures as soon as they open.
1, LGS has some stock at scalper prices.
Magtec 9 $40/50 count
Magtec 10 $50/50 count
Win 223 $170/200 count
My favorite spot has similar prices but also carries supplies, including a "call-list" for primers, limit one (1000) per, $60 and I'm happy to pay it for now.
Old February 7, 2021, 06:10 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

If I had a 30-30, I would have bought it. Yeah its pricey, but that's another hunting season or 2. couple to sight in with each year, couple to hunt with. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I budget some money each payday for ammo. If prices are high, I just don't get to buy as much. Not buying, when there is no guarantee of more later, or that it will ever be cheaper is folly. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Old February 7, 2021, 06:20 PM   #16
Carl the Floor Walker

It is interesting to see how things have changed from last March to present. I had, as I mentioned been stocking up on 9mm for years as well as 22.cal. I laughed when I heard many posters say 22.cal would not go the way of the 9mm and other rounds, which really started to tighten up at that time. I knew 22. cal was on the hit list to go at that point. And knew those saying it would not happen to 22.cal.were kidding themselves.

So it was then, that I just started ordering the heck out of 22. to add to my large inventory. I started having boxes delivered almost daily.
Sometimes you do not need a crystal ball to seen the future. And the next four years will see less and less ammo and more restricting and laws each and every month.

These boxes were coming in starting in March of last year and then went down to nothing.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 8, 2021 at 03:53 AM.
Old February 7, 2021, 06:24 PM   #17
ballardw

Have to see ammo on a shelf to say anything about price.
Old February 8, 2021, 12:18 AM   #18
Savagehawg

Running a little high here also, pick up some 9mm the other day 30 bucks for 50 rounds a little high when a year ago same 50 rounds was 18 to 20
Old February 8, 2021, 12:25 AM   #19
bamaranger

prices

IF you find any in my area at the big chains, ammo still seems to be selling near it's pre-shortage price. But finding any ammo at the big retailers right now is near impossible. There is a local retailer that has two stores in Huntsville, AL. He reportedly has piles of ammo, all at extremely elevated prices approaching 3X normal. Folks are still buying.
Old February 8, 2021, 01:59 AM   #20
Philellis2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
IF you find any in my area at the big chains, ammo still seems to be selling near it's pre-shortage price. But finding any ammo at the big retailers right now is near impossible. There is a local retailer that has two stores in Huntsville, AL. He reportedly has piles of ammo, all at extremely elevated prices approaching 3X normal. Folks are still buying.
I am assuming you live in Birmingham or south. I am in Florence. Since I am retired, I have been hitting the "morning lines" at some of the big box stores. I have plenty of time, so I drink my coffee and wait. In the Academy store, they almost ALWAYS have some 30-30 and it doesn't seem to fly away. Since I don't hunt, I seldom look so I don't know the price. However, Academy prices are not much over 20% over what they were last year.

If I see any 30-30 either tomorrow or Tuesday, I will use my "daily allotment" to buy what I can. If I get some, I will message you. If you what it at their price, fine enough. If not, no big deal....somebody will need it.

Sorry you hunters are having this problem. It sucks I know. Maybe I can help.if I can.

Roll Tide

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old February 8, 2021, 01:34 PM   #21
AzShooter

Each week while waiting to get into our local indoor range I talk to the guys in line about ammo prices. I've been fortunate enough to stock up over the years so it's sad to hear their stories of what they are paying for ammo.

One guy shoots .44 magnums and last week said he would stop because rounds are not over $2.50 each. I just found a box in my garage that I paid $38 for 50 a few years ago. I'm going to offer it to him.

I don't know how many rounds of 303 British I have. Probably 500. That goes to my son. I gave him my old Enfield so he can use it.
Old February 19, 2021, 10:44 PM   #22
gaseousclay

My local Scheels actually had a boatload of Winchester 5.56 M855 ammo today. 150 pk for $115. I had to do a double take because they had a lot of it
Old February 19, 2021, 10:45 PM   #23
HWS

You guys have ammo?
Old February 19, 2021, 11:13 PM   #24
jonnyc

I'm currently only buying odd-ball calibers that I don't shoot too much or deals that fall into my lap. And unfortunately there haven't been many of the latter.
I refuse to pay these fantasy prices.
Old February 19, 2021, 11:37 PM   #25
Schlitz 45

I bought a brick Of 22’s at Sportsman’s Warehouse for $35-took me all week buying 2 boxes a day until they ran out. They’re on my way home but a lot of of BS for a few hundred rounds to add to the stockpile. Not seeing much this last week but the scavenger hunt will continue.