The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2002, 09:24 AM   #1
USP45

Help me build an M4gery (post-ban)

So i've saved up my pesos and its now time to finnally become a member of the black-gun club. I want to get a Bushy M4 look-alike and was wondering if you folks could help me out with a few things. I expect to spend less than $1000 complete.

What kind of barrel? Do i go with a muzzle brake: Wilson, Mini-y or AK type? Or do i just get a 16" bbl?

Aimpoint Comp-M or something else?

Any other accessories i should consider?

I don't want to spend $1800 building a pre-ban M4 just yet, as i have lots to learn about the AR. I was told that Bushmaster has a good record so i'd like to give them the money, but should i consider anyone else? Should i consider mixing and matching parts from other AR manufactures?

Last edited by USP45; February 25, 2002 at 10:12 AM.
Old February 25, 2002, 10:27 PM   #2
USMC03

Bushmaster post ban M4

USP,

I have 6 ARs, both post ban and pre bans. I recently purchased a Bushmaster post ban M4 and I've very satisfied. A couple of my shooting buddies have shot it and after the post ban Bushmaster M4 all of them have ordered the same rifle. Everyone that I have talked to or seen post on the internet that has shot a Bushmaster M4 or owns one has nothing but good things to say about the rifle. Here's a pic of the rifle that I'm refering to:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/w...wa2x14m4my.asp

Instead of spening unneeded money I would suggest just getting the M4. Before getting an Aimpoint I would suggest mastering the iron sights first. I have Aimpoints, Trijicon ACOGs, and a few others sights and more often than not I like the iron sights. Just my .02

Semper Fi
Jeff
Old February 25, 2002, 11:48 PM   #3
Vinnie

For the most part, you will only find the Bushy M4 type carbine in the standard configuration of 14.5 m4 (lightweight) barrel with a Mini Y comp "permanently" attatched. The mini Y is a good comp, but very loud. After you get the rifle you could always send it away to Kurt's Kustom Firearms and have him remove your Mini Y and replace it with one of his A3 brakes.

The down falls are :
1) He's very busy so you will be without an upper for at least 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer.
2) You don't get the Mini Y back. As he put it to me, :They end up as chips in a pan."

BUT once you get the upper back, I think you'll be happy. His brakes and Fake Flash Supressors are BATF approved and look like the real thing.

As far as optics, I think Aimpoints are the standard now. I was looking at Reflex II's and EoTechs. Personally, I'm not sure what I'm going to order yet. I leaning towards the Aimpoint, but if a good deal comes up withthe other two, I may go in their direction.

So Price breakdown: Bushy M4A3 (flattop version) around $900.00; CQB Solutions Sling (in my opinion best bang for the buck) 25.00; Optics 300.00; RAS forend w/ vertical grip 350.00;
to be authentic and in case your optics fails you'll need a flip up rear sight another 100.00; I don't know if you need a tact light but there's another 300.00+; Mags (at least [email protected] a pop) 105.00; 1000 rounds of Q3131 or Q3131a 150.00-200.00.

My God, it adds up, doesn't it? I won't even bother with the tactical vest or mag pouches. The grand total is giving me a headache already.
Old February 26, 2002, 08:37 AM   #4
USP45

$900.00
$25.00
$300.00
$350.00
$100.00
$300.00+
$105.00
$150.00

= $2230.00 !!!

Yikes, what was i thinking?!

Thanks for the list guys. I think, after further research, and your thoughts, i'm going to go for the Bushy M4 but without the mini-y. I'm going to decide on either the Wilson break or Kurt's afterwards. And for now, i'm going to pick up a flatop flip up sight. I've really gotta keep this around $1000 if i can (excluding ammo.)

Thanks again.

~USP