The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 2, 2021, 05:03 PM   #51
stagpanther

Nice, sounds like you're a happy camper.
Old April 2, 2021, 09:08 PM   #52
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
For the guy who wants to avoid all this fix-it nonsense and just get along with his as-issued Mossberg Patriot, here's one owner's experimentation with action screw torque and how it affects accuracy.

Best results occurred around 35 inch-pounds, the upper limit of what I was quoted from the factory. I'm betting Mossberg didn't get those figures from an Ouija Board. Go much beyond that you'll break something- as I can attest.

https://youtu.be/d5WNfffNq3s
Thank you! was able to get 1moa out of mine but it took a lot of work. Going to play with the torque in 5lb increments from 25-35 and see if it helps.
Old April 4, 2021, 09:43 PM   #53
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Thank you! was able to get 1moa out of mine but it took a lot of work. Going to play with the torque in 5lb increments from 25-35 and see if it helps.
I crept my action screws up to 35 in/lbs and will give it a few shots to settle. Please let us know your findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You're welcome, though it's courtesy of Timney. BTW--just out of curiosity since you have a LA patriot--which measurements conform to the trigger in your rifle?
Measured today and mine conforms to the 610-S. I think that S stands for 'short' alright, but it refers to the length of the trigger body as opposed to the action.
Old April 7, 2021, 12:44 AM   #54
stagpanther

Quote:
I think that S stands for 'short' alright, but it refers to the length of the trigger body as opposed to the action.
One would think--but they list the longer trigger under "LBA long action" which is what I ordered. Sort of "reverse logic" like savage's short and long shank barrel nuts.
Old April 9, 2021, 05:14 PM   #55
ThomasT

This was an enjoyable thread. Thanks. And I have learnd to stay away from Mossberg rifles. The only "Budget" gun I own is a Ruger American in 243 and so far its been a decent rifle for the $275 I paid for it NIB.

But I much prefer just getting an older Remington 700 if I can find one. Never had a single issue with any Remington I have ever owned and all have been shooters. I have an old model 700 from the mid 1960s in 30-06 and it consistently grouped anything I had on hand into an inch and half or less. But rarely under an inch.

Now it wears no scope but has a Williams Guide Sight on the rear scope holes. Its sort of my replacement for not having some old military gun like a 98 Mauser or a SMLE. I love how it feels to wrap my hand around it and not be hitting a scope. And at 100 yards with the open sites I can hit soup can sized targets. I haven't shot it father than that with the open sights.
Old April 13, 2021, 09:17 AM   #56
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You're welcome, though it's courtesy of Timney. BTW--just out of curiosity since you have a LA patriot--which measurements conform to the trigger in your rifle?
Did you get a Timney in your Patriot and if so, how do you like it?
Old April 13, 2021, 10:04 AM   #57
stagpanther

Quote:
Did you get a Timney in your Patriot and if so, how do you like it?
I sent the original trigger back--which did not fit. I've e-mailed Timney a couple of times about getting a replacement sent out to me after the original was returned, so far I've had no response from them, so I haven't had a chance to try one out in the Patriot yet. I still have a tootsie pop they sent me.
Old April 13, 2021, 10:26 AM   #58
Sarge

Thanks if you get one in that 375 please give us an update
Old April 13, 2021, 11:04 AM   #59
stagpanther

Quote:
Thanks if you get one in that 375 please give us an update
Will do.
Old April 16, 2021, 05:56 PM   #60
stagpanther

Sarge, my Timney replacement trigger came in today and I just installed it. Functionally it's the right size and works properly, however, the trigger pull adjustment screw sticks out roughly twice as far as the stock LBA trigger's and will not clear the inlet in my stock, so I had to machine out additional space in the stock's inlet to get the necessary clearance. Easy to do and now works fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4693.jpg (234.2 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4692.jpg (188.1 KB, 343 views)
Old April 16, 2021, 06:37 PM   #61
Sarge

Thank you for the update. I'm sure the trigger improvement will make that little bit of stock surgery a worthwhile endeavor.
Old April 16, 2021, 06:39 PM   #62
stagpanther

Quote:
Thank you for the update. I'm sure the trigger improvement will make that little bit of stock surgery a worthwhile endeavor.
Any trigger that works beats one that doesn't.