The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 3, 2021, 11:16 PM   #1
Ignition Override

The "AKM love" here, has found refuge---

--on AKforums and AKfiles?

Or it never existed on TFL?
Old May 4, 2021, 04:23 AM   #2
HistoryJunky

We have members here that love AKs IIRC. I am one of them. I think if you look at the past few pages of threads it tells a story.

Not nearly as many AK threads.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 4, 2021, 05:10 AM   #3
kymasabe

I'm a big fan of AK's. Had quite a few at one time, most were average junk or Saiga's I converted, but I do regret selling my ArmoryUSA gun, had a Krebs rear peep sight, was a great gun. Simple, rugged, reliable, what's not to love.
Old May 4, 2021, 08:02 AM   #4
highpower3006

I am another guy that likes AK's and for most of my AK talk or info, I tend to go to the AK files or AK.net. I does seem that the majority of the discussions on this form are AR related. Not that there is anything wrong with AR's, I have a few of them too, but by and large I find them to be boring, although last year I did put together a nifty AR in 6.5 Grendel for hunting pigs in Texas.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:55 AM   #5
Ignition Override

Well-put gents.
Thanks to the huge volume on the...”colorful”...AKfiles, I immed. absorbed advice to buy only Imported AKMs, several years ago (then age 59).

I had nothing against my M&P AR, but the AKM character grew on me much quicker- and my targets are only 25-50 yards (despite the club having 50-600 yard ranges).
The underlying point - the crude iron sights on the AKM are adequate.

An “event horizon” exists around AKfiles or AKforums where the late astrophysicist Stephen Hawking would have predicted no possible escape for any topics?

In early 2019 Added a nice “Non-AK” Czechpoint (7.62x39) for variety.

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 6, 2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old May 5, 2021, 08:37 AM   #6
HistoryJunky

I could point anyone interested towards a great AK owner Facebook group if that is allowed on TFL and anyone is interested.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 17, 2021, 06:30 AM   #7
stagpanther

I was out putting a few cartridges through my "one AR that does it all" yesterday and a young guy shows up with a brand-spankin new Zastava (US factory manufacture--not Century) to shoot for the first time. His model was customized (at least I don't see it on the Zastava website) and featured a railed piston cover and hand grip as well as a model 74 style muzzle brake and side-fold stock. He had no optics on it yet. After he test fired half a magazine he generously offered to let me fire it. I have a PSAK Zhukov which is quite nice and has never failed me--but this Zastava strikes me as being in a much superior class, it just feels tighter and more precisely machined all around. Having just shot my AR--the thing that really struck me the most was the kick and muzzle lift was almost identical to my AR--this was due in large part to the model-74 style muzzle brake. My PSAK--while I can definitely shoot it well, has a "clunkier" kick and muzzle lift upon firing. The distinctive bolt carrier group looks like it's machined out of stainless steel or is maybe NIB plated--I can't tell which and the kid didn't know, but it sure cycles nicely. The only drawbacks I experienced--and really no fault of the rifle--is that due to my astigmatism I couldn't get a good site picture with the irons. The windage was off (something that seems to be standard on all new AKs) and the kid forgot the front site post adjustment tool--but the site looks highly refined and easily adjusted.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 17, 2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old May 17, 2021, 03:53 PM   #8
SR420

I owned several Chicom MAK 90 and AK rifles, and I modernized a type 56s many years ago. That was a great AK, but I grew bored with them and sold off 100% of my AKs maybe 6 years ago.

Old May 18, 2021, 02:27 PM   #9
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I was out putting a few cartridges through my "one AR that does it all" yesterday and a young guy shows up with a brand-spankin new Zastava (US factory manufacture--not Century) to shoot for the first time.
Stagpanther, saw a beautiful pic of your "AR that does it all" here:
AR that does it all

I like your rifle, what caliber do you run? (I am assuming it is 5.56). Do you have a couple of uppers for it?

I purchased an AR to also "do it all" a few months ago, and since I am cheap, I got it in 7.62x39. I now have my sights on a second AR in 22lr for my kids and wife, because the only thing my "do it all" AR cannot do is to stay in my hands so I can use it: they all want to borrow it!!

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 18, 2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old May 18, 2021, 05:57 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther, saw a beautiful pic of your "AR that does it all" here:
AR that does it all

I like your rifle, what caliber do you run? (I am assuming it is 5.56). Do you have a couple of uppers for it?

I purchased an AR to also "do it all" a few months ago, and since I am cheap, I got it in 7.62x39. I now have my sights on a second AR in 22lr for my kids and wife, because the only thing my "do it all" AR cannot do is to stay in my hands so I can use it: they all want to borrow it!!
This isn't my thread so I don't want to wander from the subject--but thanks, yeah, it's an old 5.56 and looks worse than the picture looks--it's beat up good--but it still puts the bullets where they need to go--I don't even know how many thousands of bullets have been down the barrel.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:19 PM   #11
Nodak1858

Fan of the Ak here. I've build a number of both AKs, and ARs, bought my first AKM in 94. Still have it, and honestly I would take then over an AR. I have zero against ARs, love making and shooting them, but I still gravitate towards the AK. Besides vodka they are the best thing Russia makes.
Old May 19, 2021, 07:33 PM   #12
smee78

I also like an AK, they are good solid rifles and are fun shooters.
Old May 19, 2021, 08:58 PM   #13
HWS

The vast majority of threads on AK Files are marketplace, people buying and selling. There are many discussing aspects of the AK though. I love that place and I don't even have an AK.