The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 20, 2021, 10:50 AM   #1
Brownstone322

Colt Lower Markings (New Production)

I post here only sporadically, so I aways think whatever topic I post will have been well covered (and recently so). But here I am anyway.

Have you seen that when Colt resumed commercial production of its AR line that it started marking everything as "CARBINE"? I can (grudgingly) accept one simple marking for rifles that actually are carbines, and I can appreciate that common markings simplify production, but now they've reintroduced the classic AR-15 rifle (formerly AR15A4, now CR6700A4), and its lower is marked ... you guessed it ... "CARBINE."

I've owned two Colt rifles — an AR6720 (marked "AR-15A4 LIGHTWEIGHT LE CARBINE") and now an LE6920 (marked "M4 CARBINE") — and I realize that Colt has employed different markings over the decades. But marking "CARBINE" on a 20-inch rifle seems as though maybe they're taking production efficiency a bit too far.

I've never thought Colt was a very smartly run operation, marketing-wise, and now that CZ is in charge maybe they'll rethink how they leverage their historical equity. Dunno. So two points:

1. I kinda want a traditional 20-inch Colt AR-15. I just don't want one that says "CARBINE" in the side.

2. Call me crazy, but if Colt insists that all lowers carry the same markings, how 'bout this: "AR-15." After all, they — and only they — can use that marking, and its name recognition is unequaled in the segment.

Rant over (for now). Any thoughts?

Last edited by Brownstone322; April 20, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old April 20, 2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Hopefully CZ clears up nonsense like this
Old April 21, 2021, 09:55 AM   #3
Chipperman

They're just trying to trick you into getting a 16" upper for it too.
Old April 22, 2021, 01:29 PM   #4
Skans

As long as it has the pony. It can be marked "Assault Lead Hose", but it doesn't have the pony, it's not a colt.
Old April 18, 2022, 11:19 AM   #5
Brownstone322

Here it is a year later, and at some point Colt reintroduced the "AR15A4" SKU, and I took delivery of one last week. And the markings on the lower say ... "AR-15A4."

The only difference between my new 20-inch AR-15 and one from a few years ago is that the markings are laser engraved these days rather than roll marked. Whether that looks better or worse is up to you, but I can't fault Colt for going away from traditional roll markings.

I dunno if Colt is still offering the CR6700A4 rifle with "CARBINE" markings. That'd be pretty stupid, but you just never know with them.

(I wish Colt still made an A2, 'cause that's what I really want, but I'm down with what I have.)