The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 23, 2021, 05:43 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Just bought spares! Thank you

A few weeks ago I asked in this forum the following question:
What AR parts to hold as spares in case not available?

After the mess that just happened here in my neck of the woods, the President called for the banning of "assault weapons" 3/23:
President Joe Biden on Colorado shooting: We can ban assault weapons

so I just opened my wallet and loaded up on the spares that many of you suggested in that threat, I want to thank you for your advice.
Old March 25, 2021, 01:22 AM   #2
Urbanrecon

I hate to say this but how willing are you to take a chance of being busted for a felony?
Old March 25, 2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanrecon View Post
I hate to say this but how willing are you to take a chance of being busted for a felony?
zero willing, why you ask?
Old March 25, 2021, 02:27 PM   #4
Urbanrecon

Well, you're stocking up on items for something that you suspect may soon become illegal assuming sniffin-an-slippin Joe gets his way.

That's why I stated that I sorta hated to say. I don't want anyone to feel like I'm trying to put them on the spot but it is an issue we all might have to deal with in the not so distant future, seeing how we're all law abiding folks.

Of course one could argue that we're also stocking up on parts to make our stuff legal should whatever changes in the law come about I suppose.

Or maybe they'll grandfather everyone in?

Otherwise it just looks like we intend to be law breakers rather than law abiders which I am sure you and I are not.

I know I'm saving up to make tomato stake posts for my garden.
Old March 25, 2021, 02:47 PM   #5
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanrecon View Post

Or maybe they'll grandfather everyone in?
That's what I was thinking. I understand that's what happened in 94 although no guarantee it would be the same.

If they do and then restrict sales of parts, I want to have spares for the basics that can wear out / break.
Old March 25, 2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Ed4032

They are not going to grandfather anything.
Old March 26, 2021, 11:33 AM   #7
9x19

Ex Post Facto

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/ex_post_facto

Perhaps the SCOTUS will actually apply the constitutional standard.
Old March 26, 2021, 01:07 PM   #8
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
They are not going to grandfather anything.
I hope you are wrong.

Anyway, interesting reading in this regard (although old, from 2013):

Takings Clause of 5th Amendment and Assault Weapons Ban
Old March 26, 2021, 11:37 PM   #9
HiBC

I'm not going off into worst case.

There are build parts(uppers.lowers.bbls,etc.) If you want to lay awake being P-noid,maybe if you order 6 or 10 sets you will be subject to scrutiny as some underground producer.

Just my opinion,which is what other folks have,opinions, a few maintenance parts, ie. an LPK, cam pin,springs,pins,bolt parts,detents, are not going to peg you as a black market arms manufacturer.

You do what you want...Scarcity could become an issue.

Yes,we have 2A concerns. Yes,a little prep is prudent. Past that,you get to set your fear and doom factor wherever you want. Its speculation and political theater.

No point in having your AR down over a boing zing thingy.

You are asking about legit,lawful purchases , Not felonies.

No one knows how this will go. All we have is now.
Old April 8, 2021, 09:05 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

We have is now.

Yeah, but not the people killed in the CO shooting we are talking about. They have nothing.

Not being flip. But clearly the anyone can buy masses of military guns that the two brothers from TX pointed out in their 6 murder suicide pact said, it's just too easy.

Here's a perfect example. We know nothing about the OP. Nothing.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; April 8, 2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old April 8, 2021, 09:37 AM   #11
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
We have is now.

Yeah, but not the people killed in the CO shooting we are talking about. They have nothing.

Not being flip. But clearly the anyone can buy masses of military guns that the two brothers from TX pointed out in their 6 murder suicide pact said, it's just too easy.

Here's a perfect example. We know nothing about the OP. Nothing.
I think that already, if you buy two or more guns in a single day the ATF gets notified?

Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

<<We know nothing about the OP. Nothing.>>

he he you know that I spend a lot of time posting on gun forums : )
Old April 8, 2021, 11:42 AM   #12
stagpanther

I just watched the president's press conference on gun control measures--other than a ban on 100 round capacity magazines he made no mention of any ban on AR's/assault rifles. He did bring up ban on unserialized home-manufactured weapons as well as a redefinition of AR pistol braces being effectively an SBR requiring licensing. My opinion is "we asked for it" and I have been expecting that to catch up with us for years. All of what he proposes doesn't really threaten me or what I shoot. The one possible exception to that would be the lifting of legal immunity for manufacturers; that one I see as being problematic from the standpoint that our domestic manufacturing base is precarious as is--all it would take is a major lawsuit or two to put most of them out of business.
Old April 8, 2021, 01:09 PM   #13
Metal god

Quote:
The one possible exception to that would be the lifting of legal immunity for manufacturers; that one I see as being problematic from the standpoint that our domestic manufacturing base is precarious as is--all it would take is a major lawsuit or two to put most of them out of business.
Naa , We would just need the SCOTUS to say sure that's fine but it applies to all manufactures of any and all products . Congress would get rid of that law quickly there after . Could you imagine if every manufacture was liable for how each and every one of there customers used there product . No way that would be able to stand , it's mind blowing all the things people hurt them selves and others with . If each and every accident or purposeful act can be blamed on the manufacture . No way that could fly .

In fact that's how are side should frame the debate . Insist if they try to pass something like that , it must apply to all industries and manufactures equally . Instead of defending the firearms industry , we force the anti's to explain why all manufactures shouldn't fall under the same guidelines . This should result in them making are case for us . They can explain why the makers of Buck knifes shouldn't be liable if my child gets "my" knife and cuts his or her self or someone else . Or the age old suing Ford for every car crash involving there vehicles . How about holding Budweiser liable for every bar fight or DUI accident . There is SOOOOOOOOOOO many examples we could come up with that would make are case for us if we just forced the issue .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 8, 2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old April 8, 2021, 01:48 PM   #14
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I just watched the president's press conference on gun control measures--other than a ban on 100 round capacity magazines he made no mention of any ban on AR's/assault rifles. He did bring up ban on unserialized home-manufactured weapons as well as a redefinition of AR pistol braces being effectively an SBR requiring licensing. My opinion is "we asked for it" and I have been expecting that to catch up with us for years. All of what he proposes doesn't really threaten me or what I shoot. The one possible exception to that would be the lifting of legal immunity for manufacturers; that one I see as being problematic from the standpoint that our domestic manufacturing base is precarious as is--all it would take is a major lawsuit or two to put most of them out of business.
<<he made no mention of any ban on AR's/assault rifles>>

He did!
He assured the audience that it was only the "first step" and that he wants legislation to ban "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines".

About magazines he just said "nobody needs 100 rds magazines" but it was a rethorical expression, he did not say that High-capacity = 100+ rds.

The lifting of legal immunity would require legislation too, but I agree that it would be most concerning if they got it passed.
Old April 8, 2021, 01:53 PM   #15
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
Could you imagine if every manufacture was liable for how each and every one of there customers used there product .

There is SOOOOOOOOOOO many examples we could come up with that would make are case for us if we just forced the issue .
Butchering and steak knife manufacturers would be in a world of hurt.

Chain-saw and ax manufacturers? Same thing

How about rope manufacturers? People can hang themselves using them. Window makers?