The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 6, 2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

What’s happening here?

I’ve seen enough ballistic gel videos in slo-mo to know that this is not normal.

What is the explosion after the bullets exist.

Any thoughts as to the cause?
Old February 6, 2019, 05:40 PM   #2
mehavey

You're going to have to find a new link.
Reddit thinks (whateveritis) should be "CENSORED - CENSORED - CENSORED"
Old February 6, 2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

OK. I'll try but basically it's a 7 sec slo mo vid of a HV bullet hit what looks to be 18" of ballistic gel.

It does a straight pass-through length-wise and as the bullet tumbles out of the other end, there is a flash in the temporary cavity which is clearly a small explosion to the point that when the cavity collapses again, grey smoke is expelled from the entry point!
Old February 7, 2019, 12:50 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I've seen that in a few gel videos.

When the gelatin collapses, the air inside the cavity is compressed extremely rapidly. When you very rapidly compress air in the presence of anything that is remotely flammable, the heat generated can rise to the point of causing the air/fuel mixture to burn.

Here's a good example of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4ODh1g4eM
Old February 16, 2019, 01:57 PM   #5
F. Guffey

Quote:
When you very rapidly compress air in the presence of anything that is remotely flammable,
Things have changed, there was a time when atmosphere was compressed moisture became visible. Some of the most interesting effects I have seen came off the end of propellers in what looked like a screw effect on humid days.

F. Guffey
Old February 16, 2019, 02:00 PM   #6
F. Guffey

And then there was one of the most interesting pictures ever taken; it took years to be appreciated in the gun world but it won a prize in the world of art.

F. Guffey
Old February 20, 2019, 11:29 AM   #7

Since Clear Ballistics Gelatin has a large percentage of paraffinic oil (which is quite flammable) within its composition this sort of thing is hardly remarkable. Rapidly compress a volatile, flammable vapor and you get adiabatic compression ignition (aka: dieseling). Pretty cool to watch though...
Old February 20, 2019, 11:57 AM   #8
pwc

If this is caused by the diesel effect, yhen why hasn't it been seen, over the years, before in other slo- mo vids? What is the particular "fuel mixture" cause with this bullet caliber / rifle, hel composition, weather condition that would cause that? Surely, one of the bullet / powder mfgrs could find out.
Old February 20, 2019, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc View Post
If this is caused by the diesel effect, yhen why hasn't it been seen, over the years, before in other slo- mo vids? What is the particular "fuel mixture" cause with this bullet caliber / rifle, hel composition, weather condition that would cause that? Surely, one of the bullet / powder mfgrs could find out.
It has been documented for quite some time, numerous videos exist dating back 5, 6, 7 or more years. A little google-fu turns up lots of videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LhBBCOIjkiM

The fuel mixture is the paraffinic oil vapor that arises under the reduced vapor pressure and atmospheric O2 produced by the bullet's entry into the test medium, compression (thanks to the ideal gas law) increases pressure as the temporary cavity collapses and by extension of that law temperature increases proportionally causing auto-ignition to occur.

Last edited by 481; February 21, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old February 20, 2019, 02:55 PM   #10
Nanuk

And here I thought it was the mini nuke effect of the 10mm I keep hearing about.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 26, 2019, 05:30 PM   #11
F. Guffey

In the mid 50s there were 500 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder engines that had a hemispherical piston design. It seemed it escaped the notice of most mechanics but the exhaust manifold was mounted on one side of the engine and the Intake manifold was installed on the other.

I understand none of this means nothing to reloaders but the mechanics rebuilt one of engines and then decided it did not need all of that plumbing so they left it off

Then came the time for the road test; they had to take the truck off the highway because it would quit running after a few miles. It bothered me to see that magnificent old truck confined to the yard for moving equipment locally.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; February 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old August 18, 2020, 12:37 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey View Post
Things have changed, there was a time when atmosphere was compressed moisture became visible. Some of the most interesting effects I have seen came off the end of propellers in what looked like a screw effect on humid days.

F. Guffey
What changed? Laws of physics?
Old August 18, 2020, 12:40 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey View Post
In the mid 50s there were 500 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder engines that had a hemispherical piston design. It seemed it escaped the notice of most mechanics but the exhaust manifold was mounted on one side of the engine and the Intake manifold was installed on the other.

I understand none of this means nothing to reloaders but the mechanics rebuilt one of engines and then decided it did not need all of that plumbing so they left it off

Then came the time for the road test; they had to take the truck off the highway because it would quit running after a few miles. It bothered me to see that magnificent old truck confined to the yard for moving equipment locally.

F. Guffey
Amazing it ran at all with the intake manifold left off.
Old August 23, 2020, 11:24 AM   #14
Ricklin

The laws of physics are inviolate

Some things NEVER change. We learn and understand more about them, they do not change.