The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 27, 2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Runs With Fire

Seeing Progress

I'm gradually getting over my flinching problem and improving my accuracy. I've brought the groups down from 6" to under 2" at 100 yards. Saturday, I went to the range with my ruger american .308 topped with a Vortex Viper HS. The last time I shot it, I thought I had it fairly zeroed, but I was also flinching and a bit shaky. First, I went with PPU 145 grain FMJ BT. It needed a smidge of adjustments, an inch up and three quarters inch right. I shot only five shot groups at somewhere between 97-101 yards. There was no wind, so it was a busy day at the public range. There's something about reports on all sides that just calms my nerves. After I the first group, which was about two inches, I adjusted my scope and fired two more. The next two groups were nearly identical. The I shot 5 rounds with maeby 20-30 seconds between shots. Both 1.5" and smidge left of center. The fifth round was the farthest out, and low right each time. I tuned the scope one click to the right. The next five rounds I shot at a price of electric conduit someone left in the ground. It was about 45 yards. Hit it four times. It was a blast to watch it wobble as I shot it. Next up was the Winchester super X 180 grain SP. It shot 2" five shot groups at 100 yards, but 2.5 inches high and 1.5 inches left of center. Still, some of my best shooting yet! My shooting position was kneeling behind a pile of dirt with the rifle rested on the dirt pile. I'm very excited to finally see better results!

Last edited by Runs With Fire; November 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM.