The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 24, 2017, 12:09 AM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

moving targets

My range has the ability to have targets to move up/down/side to side. For now this is how I practice. Does anyone else have range practice doing the Same??
If so, do you like it and do you use this to help hone your skills?

Doc
Old March 24, 2017, 02:01 AM   #2
tipoc

No my range does not have that ability.

But I do occasionally run the target out, pluck the wires it runs on to get it bouncing and swaying and shoot.

tipoc
Old March 24, 2017, 05:37 AM   #3
mdcmn7

No, but that would be good practice

I always enjoyed pop ups when I had access to those ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old March 24, 2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Ramey

My former range did not allow "tactical" shooting. Drawing from a holster was also banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 24, 2017, 12:39 PM   #5
RickB

We can rig targets to swing back and forth, pop up and disappear, or run in any direction, but they must be set up individually each time we want to use them, so are available only for scheduled events.
Old March 24, 2017, 01:00 PM   #6
Slopemeno

Our steel league had bobbers, 90 degree runners, etc. You don't have to lead them much- the speeds are low and the distances close. It was fun, I can tell you that. It was like a pachinko game with a .45.

Find steel league, or a USPSA league.
Old March 25, 2017, 04:46 PM   #7
g.willikers

Mine are mostly spinners.
My favorite is a target that bobs right to left and back, like a pendulum, especially when set up behind no shoots.
Very challenging.
Some NRA action matches, (when you can find them) use a mover that spans the range usually from left to right.
It starts and ends from behind a vision barrier at pretty good speed.
Old March 25, 2017, 05:04 PM   #8
FITASC

One club uses a Texas Star, they are fun.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 25, 2017, 05:53 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a shooting buddy with you, there's a great way to try your hand at moving targets.

Buy a cheap radio controlled car (You can find them in the 20 to 30 dollar range) and attach a lightweight rod or wire upright on the car. I use an old fishing rod. It should be between 4 and 6 feet tall. Put an alligator clip on the top of the rod, and clip a balloon to it.

I almost forgot that it's important to get a car with a wide wheel base so it doesn't tip over during turns.

Have your buddy run the car out to the distance you want to shoot, and have him run it in an unpredictable zig-zag pattern.

Then try to hit the balloon (try not to hit the car ) It's loads of fun and never gets boring.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 25, 2017, 11:10 PM   #10
Doc Holliday 1950

What's a Texas Star FITASC?

Captain Charlie, in a million years I would not have thought of doing what you suggested. Unfortunately, where I live is pretty citified.
Maybe if I go to the Everglades, I could tryout your suggestion.
When we lived in Tn. that would have been easy to do. South East Coast Southern Florida is a different animal.

Now this is very cool. I wish more people would post responses on this type
of training and shooting.

Thanks so far,

Doc

Doc
Old March 26, 2017, 08:45 AM   #11
g.willikers

Youtube has plenty of examples of the Texas Star in action.

Another way to have fun with the RC car is in the garage with an airsoft pistol.
Old March 28, 2017, 06:41 AM   #12
Don P

Quote:
My range has the ability to have targets to move up/down/side to side. For now this is how I practice. Does anyone else have range practice doing the Same??
If so, do you like it and do you use this to help hone your skills?
We utilize moving targets at our competition matches. Swingers, drop turners, clam shells, polish plate rack, and the Texas star. The plate rack and star can be ammo burners for some folk
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 30, 2017, 06:45 PM   #13
stephen426

There are a lot of limitations at most ranges and what is allowed on those ranges have little "practical value" in real world situations. Some practice is still better than no practice. The crazy thing is that I had never done IPSC before and did pretty well my first time out. The skills gained from being able to draw and fire, engage multiple targets, rapid fire (in a controlled manner), rapid reloads, low light drills, and shooting while moving will prepare you for any real world encounters far better than slow fire from a stationary position at a stationary target. Try and stick to the more "practical" shooting disciplines rather than fully tricked out guns since it is best to practice with what you shoot.

I was very fortunate that my sister's friend invited us to shoot with the club she is a member of. We get to practice all of the drills mentioned above (minus low light since we shoot in the morning) plus shooting from retention, strong hand, weak hand, shooting while moving forward, shooting while retreating, Tueller drills with a dummy coming towards us, shooting from cover, Bill drills, turning and shooting (turning, then drawing, and shooting), plus more I'm probably forgetting. They focus on shooting what they actually carry and make sure to avoid "gaming" up the training. Good hits are more important than outright speed, but you don't want to be the last guy shooting either.

Moving targets would be interesting. The problem is the RC car would have to be fairly robust to handle carrying a target and moving quickly enough to present a challenge.
Old March 30, 2017, 07:04 PM   #14
FITASC

Here's a You Tube of a Texas Star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke5uW8jhDjQ
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 1, 2017, 06:50 PM   #15
rjinga

Does this count? Yesterday I was shooting at the range and the wind was 12-17 mph with gusts up to 24 mph. When I went to shoot my target at 100 yds, I noticed that the upper left corner had become loose and the wind was blowing it down and back randomly. It was like the enemy soldier was ducking down and then popping back up. I still managed to get eight out of ten shots on him from a standing/leaning position with the iron sights.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old April 2, 2017, 10:48 PM   #16
jmorris

I have a number of moving and reactive targets.

It helps to be able to adjust speed and/or presentation times.

Here are a few of mine working in tandem.

I have also used my running target as a rolling shooting port that completely changes the dynamic of static targets.

Old April 2, 2017, 10:57 PM   #17
jmorris

I also have a few star targets as well, makes them a little more challenging if you start them off spinning but once you figure them out they become a bit less of a challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02FNsp4-6NQ

I also built one that had no shoot targets the counter rotated behind the plates. When I used it in a match it was shocking how few misses there were vs a regular run. Amazing what people can do when they take the time to aim.

You can also run them strong hand only and weak hand only to add to the challenge.