The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2013, 05:48 PM   #51
Chettt

What is a safe time or direction to point a gun that may fire when taking it off safety to unload? Also if Remington offered a 1911 pistol with the same Walker trigger, would you carry it cocked and locked?
Old February 20, 2013, 06:16 PM   #52
eldermike

Newer remingtons will cycle while on safe.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #53
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chettt
What is a safe time or direction to point a gun that may fire when taking it off safety to unload?
Depends on where you are. Goes back to Rule #2 and Rule #4

Use some common sense, ask yourself "will this bullet go through that?". In a pinch, it is usually not to hard to find good old planet Earth as a safe direction.

Then again, like I said, Remington will fix the pre-1982 triggers, and hasn't made a rifle that needed to be off safe to unload in thirty years, so that is not (or should not be) a concern any more.

I wouldn't hunt with a rifle that needed to be off safe to unload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chettt
Also if Remington offered a 1911 pistol with the same Walker trigger, would you carry it cocked and locked?
It wouldn't be a 1911 then, would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike
Newer remingtons will cycle while on safe.
Right, since 1982.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:51 PM   #54
Metal god

I keep hearing guys say you need to keep your 700 properly maintained . I clean the heck out of my guns every time I get back from shooting . I almost never do anything with the triggers in any of my guns . Mostly cus you can't really get to them . I don't take my bolt guns out of the stocks after I have them shooting well cus I don't want to mess with the torque on the screws again . My other guns that I can get to the triggers . I might give them a quick shot of air and light nylon brushing but not much . ( light lube )

How much more should a guy do to keep that area clean . I don't want to be taking the FCG apart to clean each piece . I'll never get it back together. I have a .22 model 60 I would love to take apart and replace the springs and clean everything real well but it looks like I'd be opening a can of worms If I took that trigger assembly apart . Whats a a proper amount of cleaning that will not create more problems .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 20, 2013, 10:00 PM   #55
eldermike

Thanks Emcon5, I didn't remember the year. For me that still seems like yesterday
Old February 22, 2013, 07:46 PM   #56
steveNChunter

Neither of my 700's have ever had this problem, one is a pre-'82, the other a model 7 from the 90's. A few years ago I got my gunsmith to teach me how to properly adjust the trigger on a model 700, and he told me about a few instances where he either saw first hand or heard about a 700 that had fired when the safety was flippped off with no trigger pull. He said that in each and every case, the trigger had been adjusted to around 2 lbs. or lower. So I took his advice and adjusted mine to 3 lbs. to be safe. That's light enough for me as mine are both hunting rifles. If they ever cease to suit me at that pull weight I'll just buy a timney.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:25 AM   #57
Prof Young

Heard it from an LEO in person.

I was having this discussion at the range with an LEO. He said they'd had Rem 700s that would fire when the safety was disengaged . . . so they just stopped using the safety.

This issue is why I don't buy Remington anything anymore. They have or had a serious problem and have never stepped up to the plate in an honest fashion and dealt with it in terms of those who were hurt and even killed. There has never been a recall and their first decision to continue manufacture when the problem was first diagnosed is nothing but greed.

We should expect better of our Arms Manufacturers.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 23, 2013, 06:50 PM   #58
emcon5

Quote:
I was having this discussion at the range with an LEO. He said they'd had Rem 700s that would fire when the safety was disengaged . . . so they just stopped using the safety.
What did Remington say when the rifle was returned to them?

That's what I thought.........
Old February 24, 2013, 04:52 PM   #59
ShamrockArmory

Multiple people have returned their 700s and all Remington says is "Everything is fine, you must be crazy."
A1 customer service, that.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:48 AM   #60
jehu

Almost everyone who owns Remington 700's are going to defend them but just because they've never had the problem dose'nt mean they don't need to have their rifle checked by Rem. or replace with a Timmney or other trigger. If it's even remoetly possible that a certain model rifle could discharge by disengageing the safety or without pulling the trgger, even if it's never happened to you as a owner, you should have it checked out or replace the trigger IMO. Makes me glad I own all Sako's.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:30 PM   #61
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If I had a concern, I'd do some testing. Cock the rifle. Put the safety on. Pull on the trigger. Release the safety. If nothing happens, try it again a couple of times.

Bounce the butt on the floor but not brutally, of course. With the safety off and the rifle cocked, it should not go "click". This usually means a trigger pull of right at three pounds or maybe more.

FWIW, I rarely use the safety. Mostly, I have the bolt handle up if there's a round in the chamber and I'm sitting around waiting for Bambi.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:13 AM   #62
emcon5

Quote:
Cock the rifle. Put the safety on. Pull on the trigger. Release the safety. If nothing happens, try it again a couple of times.
Also put the safety partway between safe and fire and do it again. That is where many of the complaints were, and that is a problem Remington acknowledges exists.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:42 AM   #63
ScottRiqui

I've seen recommendations for the Timney trigger as a solution to the problem. Is it true that the factory Remington X-Mark Pro trigger uses a different design from the original, and isn't susceptible to the unintended firing problem?
Old February 26, 2013, 02:31 AM   #64
natman

Quote:
I've seen recommendations for the Timney trigger as a solution to the problem. Is it true that the factory Remington X-Mark Pro trigger uses a different design from the original, and isn't susceptible to the unintended firing problem?
Yes on both counts. Replacing the Walker trigger on older guns fixes the issue and newer guns use a different design.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:21 AM   #65
jughead2

700 rifles

does the 7400 fit in this category please
Old February 26, 2013, 11:46 AM   #66
ShamrockArmory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8kLT7IRPg

I like how Remington's response only covered a guy that was on the show for all of five minutes. Nevermind the fact that they interviewed the original designer who agreed that it is unsafe. lol

Old February 26, 2013, 02:25 PM   #67
emcon5

Quote:
I like how Remington's response only covered a guy that was on the show for all of five minutes
That is the teaser, the whole rebuttal is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2YFIwoZsWHk

They pick pretty much all of it apart.

Quote:
Nevermind the fact that they interviewed the original designer who agreed that it is unsafe. lol
Well, no. That is not what he said.

The whole interview, all Walker really said was he advocated for a firing pin block on the safety, and Remington did not do it because of cost. He also said some of the parts were out of spec.

The Walker interview portion is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iis8nxGl-hQ

I covered the other crap they claimed about Walker back in post 42.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:51 PM   #68
reynolds357

I think all of you need to get rid of your Remingtons real cheap since you are so scared of them. Sell them to me cheap and I will gladly assume the risk.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:32 PM   #69
ShamrockArmory

Would it be safe to say that there are about the same number of Ruger 10/22s on the market as the Remington 700?
How many "meritless ND" cases have been filled for the 10/22 vs the 700?

It could be because this is the only gun I've ever heard of something like this happening to, besides the Bryco company which ended up going bankrupt because of the lawsuit, but I find it hard to believe that one type of rifle is more prone to "user idiocy" than another.

Old February 26, 2013, 03:59 PM   #70
reynolds357

A 15 lb trigger is much less subject to user idiocy than a 3 lb trigger. A cap pistol is much less subject to user idiocy than a real hand gun. The more practical an item is to someone with common sense, the more prone to danger it seems to be for an idiot.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:41 PM   #71
emcon5

Quote:
Would it be safe to say that there are about the same number of Ruger 10/22s on the market as the Remington 700?
How many "meritless ND" cases have been filled for the 10/22 vs the 700?
Can any numbskull with a jewelers screwdriver tweak a 10/22 trigger to the point it is unsafe?
Old February 26, 2013, 05:10 PM   #72
shurshot

"I was having this discussion at the range with an LEO. He said they'd had Rem 700s that would fire when the safety was disengaged . . . so they just stopped using the safety".

Yeah, ok. And I'm guessing no one frigged with the trigger systems or called Remington either? How Come the US Military doesn't have that issue? "LEO"...? Ok, sure...
Old February 26, 2013, 05:58 PM   #73
restlessnomad

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the Marines build and machine their own "700's". That being the case I would guess they don't have issues with triggers.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:41 PM   #74
emcon5

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the Marines build and machine their own "700's". That being the case I would guess they don't have issues with triggers.
I don't know if they build their own, but they do have the Walker trigger. The Marines did put a memo out saying not to adjust the triggers, right before they ordered a bunch more rifles.

I think this was covered in the Remington "This-so-called-news-is-a-load-of-horse-shieat" video I linked above.

On Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2YFIwoZsWHk Fast forward to ~6:45

Last edited by emcon5; February 26, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:58 PM   #75
shurshot

Emcon5, don't bother trying to defend Remington with links of fact based info. I tried earlier in this thread, and several last year. There are certain individuals on here who would prefer to listen to the emotional presentation from left wing CNBC / MSNBC and lawyers, instead of reading objective facts and evidence presented by an American Arms Company. Unreal.
Closed Thread