The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 08:44 PM   #1
jim.greenesr

Ammo prices.

Was at a small gun show at Elks Hall today. I noticed one dealer had a large selection of Tula Ammo, 7.62x39, 124gr, FMJ, 20/Box. I was, until all this madness started, paying 4 dollars and some change per box at Walmart. This dealer had a price of 15 dollars per box. I have plenty of this ammo already, but I had to bite my tongue because I really wanted to tell him what I thought of him. Was I wrong to be upset.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
BIGR

Nope, let them try and sell their high dollar ammo and price gouge. Just remember who they are and in the future buy from others. Unless I am completely out and need ammo I am not paying ridiculous prices. If someone else needs it and wants to pay top dollar for it then go for it.

It is supply and demand. Hard to get the goods so the price goes up, but I must say there are some ridiculous prices out there.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Sarge

I have an affinity for the 7.62×39 cartridge and the rifles that shoot it. The cartridge is model of design efficiency that gives near 30-30 performance in a compact, easy-feeding package. For decades, it was widely available at prices so low that reloading was out of the question. I can clearly recall buying 20 round boxes of Norinco Chinese FMJ for under a dime a shot; softpoint was marginally more, but still ridiculously cheap. As a wider variety of FMJ and hunting loads became available the price climbed a little. After the 2009 insanity, the price climbed more and in late 2012 I paid $4.99 for Tula FMJ and grumbled, but only a little because it held under 2 MOA in my Romanian AK clone.

At this moment, you can’t find 7.63×39 Tula locally or online. In January I saw Tula FMJ at the Stover, MO Gun Show priced at TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS per box. I’ve seen Tapco AK mags, which I paid $9.00 for in November, priced at FORTY FIVE DOLLARS each at a stocking retailer in the same area. I love the gun and cartridge, but I will not pay scalper prices to keep shooting it. When the ammo becomes as expensive as 30-30 ammo, I’ll go right back to using my Model 94 for everything.

The Gun & Ammo Famine of 2013
Old February 10, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
BIGR

I did see some PMC 20 Rounds of 123 Grain FMJ 7.62x39 Ammunition the other day for $18 or $19 a box. Thats bad.

Heck, I remember years ago buying .223 ammo for around two to three dollars a box for 20 rounds. Never ever again....
Old February 10, 2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Sarge

The beauty of the steel-case 7.69x39 is that it gave acceptable performance at a great price. Brass case 7.69x39 is just as good and reloadable--assuming you can find your cases--but it isn't substantially cheaper than similar loads in hunting calibers.

If they are able to suppress the import of steel case Rusky, they will effectively suppress the rifles that fire it. And Lawd knows they hate those.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

I'm buying 7.62x39 brass right now, no ammo. At recent show, a kid had the remains of a full case of lacquer ammo, 500 rounds, with a $350 price tag on it. Not much else on his table, either. He spent the morning justifying his price to the shoppers, at end of day it wasn't sold, I hope he takes it home with him, little punk wanted to cash in and wasn't.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

It's not price gouging if there are people more than willing to pay for it, especially if it is a non-essential item. (yes, I know - there are those who would argue that ammo is an essential good). Are sellers on Gunbroker price gouging if they sell a Mosin Nagant for $300 or a Ruger 10/22 BX-25 mag for $100 a piece?
Old February 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
bustersmaster

Stopped at a couple shops in the Lansing area friday. I'm not looking for more until and if the prices come down, but one store had Wolf 7.62 for 9.00 a box, the other had the same for 12.00 a box. Still too high for me.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Sarge

Same applies to gasoline, OA. IF we only drive to work, the doctor and the store then all else is non-essential.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
Onward Allusion

RE: Gasoline - and that is why it is rationed in times of emergencies. Essential use only... Also, one doesn't need ammo or guns (according to the government) to stay alive.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
ScottRiqui

Starting to see ammo show up again at the local Marine Corps Exchange. After being dry for weeks, they have Magtech 5.56 ammo, $22 per 50. There's a three-box limit, but that's still 150 rounds, which is nice.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:42 AM   #12
arch308

Around here .223 is almost $1 a round, if you can find it! Now that's scarry. I'm glad I still have a good stock from many years ago of both .223 & 7.62x39. I must admit I don't shoot much of it, mostly my own reloads.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Sarge, your explanation of social factors is dead-on. Gun owners are creating and perpetuating the problem.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:29 PM   #14
YankeeSpirit76

Price gouging, or, free market Capitalism? I see no harm in what some people do. Why is it any different than the stock market game, you know, buy low sell high? Something is only worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it.
If they are asking too much, not many people will buy it, causing him to lower his price. Supply and demand in action.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Sarge

Thank you, Tom.

Today I rationed myself 30 rounds of Tula .40 FMJ for some skill maintenance with the Glock 23, at 15 and 25 yards. The targets were a particularly unreliable old range stapler, an empty shaving cream can (Old Spice Original, of course) and some 6" falling plates. I only missed the plates once, a product of 'riding the reset' too hard and a too short front sight I should have replaced sooner. With the price and scarcity of ammo these days, a man has to make every shot count.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:37 PM   #16
oldgunsmith

Still not sure I understand the logic behind waiting for a panic to start worrying about how much ammo you have.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:49 PM   #17
Dr Big Bird PhD

Hahaha ^^ great point.

I just think most people dont realize whats going on, or how much they need ammo, until the panic happens.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 12, 2013, 06:40 AM   #18
spacecoast

Quote:
I noticed one dealer had a large selection of Tula Ammo, 7.62x39, 124gr, FMJ, 20/Box. I was, until all this madness started, paying 4 dollars and some change per box at Walmart. This dealer had a price of 15 dollars per box.
I guess that 200 rounds of 7.62x39 we shot last weekend was worth $150.

I think there is still hope that supply and demand setting a fair price will still prevail in the long run. I don't understand how people are willing or can continue to ask/pay these ridiculous prices. However, my local range was more crowded than I have ever seen it on Saturday. Maybe the LGS is accepting food stamps.