The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 17, 2012, 01:34 AM   #1
marbill

need suggestions for a scope mount

I recently bought my first AR. After shooting a couple hundred rounds thru it I decided to mount a scope. I had some rings that would mount directly to the upper rail. My question is, can someone suggest a mount that would hold its zero if I choose to switch back and forth with my open sights.
Thank You. Bill
Old August 17, 2012, 01:59 AM   #2
jephthai

The LaRue cantilever mounts are well-regarded, but pricey. You might be looking at $230-$260, maybe. But some report return-to-zero within a click or two (Todd Hodnett won't stop talking about them!), and that's with a QD attachment, so you don't need any tools!

On the cheaper end, I have two pair of the Burris XTR rings (about $60 each), and I've popped a scope off and back on a few times and always been within .5MOA. They advertise return-to-zero, and when i emailed Burris about them, they said to expect about a half minute, so my experience may be normal.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old August 17, 2012, 06:04 AM   #3
jmr40

You can spend a ton of money and end up with more money in accessores than your rifle cost quickly. I bought one of these.

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=130

And used some QR rings I already owned to do this

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=001-2.jpg

I have another AR set up in a similar fashion, but with Weaver rings and a 2 piece riser. They need a scewdriver to remove, but come off pretty quickly.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=002-1.jpg

I've been using Weaver rings like this for 40 years on many different rifles. I've taken scopes off and returned them dozens of times with no loss of zero. It works fine, for very little money, don't believe what anyone else tells you.

You can spend a lot more and look more tacticool, but it won't work any better.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:29 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

I use both one piece mounts and Warne QD rings on AR flat tops. Both well hold zero when removed and reinstalled. The one piece mounts are easy to setup but add extra weight.

The Burris PERR mount is priced fair and a very nice one piece. You can find good deals on the Nikon M223/P223 mounts. There are two versions of the M223, one has 20moa built in.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:26 PM   #5
marbill

Thank you for the replies. I will look into each of the options suggested.
I dont want to spend a arm and a leg . Thanks again. Bill
Old August 18, 2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Baylorattorney

I like the Nikon mount m223. Rather than two rings its two rings on a base and the base mounts to the rail. Stays pretty zeroed.