The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
The_Covenant

115gr 9mm FMJ..

So I am new to reloading, and I found this site. I bought all the equipment that was listed in the sticky thread, to the T. all the way down to the akron bins.

That being said, I am loading 115gr 9mm FMJ. I picked up some titegroup and varget really cheap at a local gun show. I cannot find any load data for a 115gr FMJ for Titegroup. There is data for a HPBT, but the grains are kind of strange compared to the next higher bullet weight..

So I found a 115gr PLATED bullet load chart that said for Titegroup, Min charge was 4.1gr, and NEVER EXCEED was 4.7gr.. I put in 4.2 to be safe. I'm kind of worried about shooting these. I've never shot any of my own rounds.

Secondly.. I am also loading .223 FMJ (55gr) and I'm using the Lee Classic press with Pacesetter dies for .223. I cannot seem to find an expander die to bell the case mouth as with the 9mm expanding die. The bullets seat okay, but I can notice .002 of run-out simply but looking at the cannelure and rotating it in my hand. Any way to fix this? Thank you greatly for your help!!
Old March 1, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

The Lee manual has Titegroup data for 115 gr jacketed 9mm:

4.5 gr min, 4.8 gr max, 1.125" Overall Length.

That makes sense when compared to your recipe for plated 115 gr bullets, since plated bullets are usually loaded conservatively compared to jacketed bullets.

As for your .223, you don't bell the case mouth for shouldered rifle rounds. The bullet should be a tight fit in the case mouth, even if you don't crimp afterward. I don't know why you'd be getting visible runout on your finished rounds.
Old March 2, 2012, 12:01 AM   #3
The_Covenant

lol..

guess I had better start pulling bullets!! 4.2gr of charge is too little...
I looked at the LEE manuals online and I couldn't find any data..

Thank you for your help.

I will also need a few tips on OAL for a 75gr Hornady A-max in .223 ... but I have ordered the reloading manual for Hornady, as I like their bullets the best. Sierra book coming next.
Old March 2, 2012, 12:54 AM   #4
chris in va

No need to pull those at 4.3. They'll be a bit mild, but so long as they cycle the slide I see no reason to tear them apart. Even 4.5 is showing over 1000fps.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:18 AM   #5
primerman

What is your overall length. I shoot precision delta 115g round nose bullets with Titegroup powder and I am somewhere around 3.6 to 3.8 grains of powder and an overall length of 1.115.

Tags
9mm , powder , titegroup , varget