The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Looking for a recommendation on a case for a new to me gun

so I'm looking forward to getting my first shotgun, which will likely be an A390ST. It has nice wood, so I'd like to protect it as best I can.

Which hard case would you recommend?

I would prefer to store the shotgun with the barell off, but I will consider a long case as well.

So, those who carry these things around - what's a good reasonably priced option?

What should I be staying away from?

I have seen a few with a molded plastic side on one side and foam on the other (Beretta cases). Are these kind to the wood, or should I look for something that is all foam?

Thanks
Old July 21, 2011, 02:04 PM   #2
oneounceload

Beretta's plastic hard case is a decent product - my A400 came with it. For more money, Americase makes a variety of excellent cases; Cabela's sells their "Bulletproof" series; then there is always Pelican

For just going to the club, I use a soft sided case
Old July 21, 2011, 04:15 PM   #3
BigJimP

I use Browning / hard sided take down cases ...and I think Beretta has their own line of cases ..../ most hard sided take down cases are around
$ 200 - $ 300.

The better soft side cases / where you leave the gun assembled - are around $ 100.

I don't store guns in their cases / I store them put together standing up in my safe. Cases to me -are just to go to the range or for traveling.

Last edited by BigJimP; July 21, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:39 PM   #4
zippy13

I have to disagree with my friend, 1-oz, on the Americase. It's had a basic design flaw since its inception. While other cases open fully or have a latching hardware restraints (hold-open), Americase uses a cheap piece of fabric. This may not seem like much, but open the case outdoors and a slight breeze will slam it closed. I learned this the hard way and when I contacted Americase, they couldn't have cared less -- worst customer service I've encountered. The purpose of a gun case is to protect you gun, not provide the unnecessary potential for damage and/or injury.

I have just about every style of shotgun case: fabric long and take-down styles (Bob Allen); un-lined all-plastic (Remington); lined hard plastic (Perazzi); luggage style (Beretta); lined aluminum and plastic (Americacase) and lined all metal (Nasco). They all have their strong points and weaknesses. The soft cases provide minimum protection and security, are easily soiled, and feather light. The all plastic cases will blemish your wood, so you'll want to use a rag wrap, have no metal locking device, but are lightweight and easy to keep clean. The lined plastic and luggage cases have metal locks and provide more protection. But they are a little heavier and the fabric interior will easily stain (also on the outside on the luggage style case). The all metal case offers the maximum protection, but it's heavy enough to cause a greybeard a hernia.

Something often overlooked is the hardware. Have a look at the hinge, it is full length or flimsy? The typical case has a 2 or 3 standard latches with a combo or key locks. These can be mysteriously damaged by baggage handlers. My heavy all-metal case uses drawbolt latches which are a little more robust. If you're going to be shipping your gun a lot, look for a case with recessed latches, or put duct tape over the latches to prevent them from being snagged.

Don't overlook the possibility of a do-it-yourself case. If you're reasonably skilled, you can put together exactly what you want. One of by buddies made cases that looked like they came from Holland and Holland and he said it wasn't that difficult.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Drummer101

Just to note, I have a 390 with 28 inch barrel.

In the case it just BARELY fits in the trunk of the car.

Just something to keep note of...
Old July 21, 2011, 04:50 PM   #6
BigJimP

Drummer is right ....you have to think about space / especially if you take 4 or 5 guns to a tournament / or you travel with a couple of kids ....and gun and shells....it does take up some room ...

The hard side - travel cases - stack pretty well in a decent sized trunk or in even a smaller suv ...

or you can go a little nuts ...and look at a built in "gun vault" into the base of a trunk or an suv ...if you want.

Americases are heavy too ..../ and I've only made one gun case ...out of cherry and black walnut ....and while it was pretty / its way too heavy - and way to nice to give to an airline ...or slide into a trunk. I made it as a gift for a buddy retiring ...but they aren't practical ..../ they just get scratched up. Now I suppose you could make it out of plywood and cover it with canvas ...
Old July 21, 2011, 07:16 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
Just to note, I have a 390 with 28 inch barrel.

In the case it just BARELY fits in the trunk of the car.

Just something to keep note of...
Wow, I can fit my assembled 32" Browning in a soft case in the back of my MINI, with all my other stuff

Zippy - I do not own an Americase, so I'll bow to your experience - I was going by my old group of shooters when I lived in NV - at the time, they were considered the Cadillac of cases (and priced like them), so I went with Doskocil and a Bob Allen gun slip
Old July 22, 2011, 07:28 AM   #8
maierar

A more economical way to go: http://www.opticsplanet.net/gun-cases.html
I have several of these: http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-mo...ase-76080.html (they work very well, fit in the back of a C5 Corvette, but the foam is a little thick and has to be trimmed)
and these: http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-mo...oam-46521.html (which I like for long-barreled, heavy shotguns like my mono-trap)
Old July 22, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

Just buy a Pelican and be done with it
Old July 22, 2011, 01:16 PM   #10
mete

Transport but don't store your gun in a case ! Condensation can cause rusting.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:30 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

I will tell you what NOT TO BUY; the ProMax Take Down case pictured below that I got for about $30 with shipping. I have one for my synthetic 870 Express and I got about what I expected for the money. It tends to allow the two halves to touch and for an inexpensive gun it may be all right, but I wouldn't get one for anyting with nice wood and bluing.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pro...oduct%20search

That said, I like a take down case for space in the car trunk.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Rugerismisticness

Don't buy a take down case. I have 3-4 that mostly just sit because it is too much of a pain and strain on parts to take them down after shooting. Use a full size case from Fleabay or somewhere like that. When your in a tournament, and you need to move from field to field, your not gunna want to even hear the term take down case.
Old July 23, 2011, 02:18 PM   #13
zippy13

Rugerismisticness,
I don't know if I follow your logic. The competitors I've shot with use break-down cases. Some of the stick gun folks may use a full length case but they are a small minority. During a tournament, when moving from field to field, there's no need to case your gun. Doesn't your club have gun racks at each field?

As far as causing additional pain and strain on the parts: Whatever your case type, you're going to break your gun down for cleaning after you shot it. After cleaning, just put it in the case broken down, then give it a fresh lube before you assembly it right before your next shoot. How does this add to the pain and strain? If anything, using a break-down case promotes better lubrication which prevents pain and strain. All of the factory cases that have come with my guns have been of the break-down style.

My first shotgun was an inexpensive pump with a fixed barrel, so I got a monster full length case for it. My neighbor's wife had seen me move the case to and from my car several times. Eventually she asked my wife if I played trombone in a band.
Old July 24, 2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Sea Buck

I use a "leg of mutton" takedown case for storage in the Jeep to the camp.(Cabela's and LL Bean,they come in two sizes) In the field giong from cover to cover,in and out of the vehicle many times during the day, I use a full length soft case,which folds up and packs along with the rest on my gear.Can't wait for fall.
Old July 28, 2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Gun Casket

Home defense safe meets travel case

Take a look at www.GunCasket.com. I work there and we've got some great fast opening safes that are amazing for home defense purposes and they are a nice all around gun case as well. It might be a good solution for what you are after. It's designed mainly as a safe and completely wraps your gun in foam. Good luck!