The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 4, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Lanc

Looking for some help/info about a German Luger.

I don't know much about guns but I was cleaning out my Fathers basement and found a gun my Grandfather brought back from when he was stationed in Italy in WW2. It looks to be a German Luger. On top it has in scrolly letters WML all parts say 58, has 1921 on top and n. 9858 on it. It is very clean, my father said he had it professionally cleaned about 10 years ago. Also has two clips one that looks original and an extra that does not but fits the gun. It is a 9mm from what I can tell, I've been scouring the comments etc. so I'm trying to educate myself quickly. I'm looking to sell this gun as I dont really use guns or anything. Can anyone help with information.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Chipperman

Quote:
On top it has in scrolly letters WML
That should actually be "DWM"

Quote:
all parts say 58, has 1921 on top and n. 9858
The parts have the last two digits of the SN which is 9858. If they really are all numbred 58, then you have an all-matching gun. That increases the value considerably.

If the magazine also has 58 on it, that increases the value more.

Condition will be the real test.

Post pictures.

Value could be anything from $800-2000+
Old September 6, 2009, 01:44 PM   #3
P5 Guy

Pro Cleaned?

I hope it wasn't refinished. If it was the collector value is shot, so to speak.
You have a commercial DWM P'08 with matching numbers. If the original finish is in 95% to 98% and the wooden grip panels have nice sharp checkering you are looking at about $1k. If refinished you have a $5/600 shooter.
Is there a holster to go with the pistol?
Old September 6, 2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Tom2

Too bad you want to sell, it sounds like a primo war booty souvenir heirloom that I sure would love to have gotten! Well also besides all the other stuff that these experts have said, provenance, or a good war story, can sometimes add value to the gun. I believe that soldiers had to have some sort of capture papers, or a document issued by the military to be able to officially bring it home or send it home to the US. If you have a document from the military referencing the pistol, that adds value. Otherwise, if you can have just some document that attests to the soldier that captured or found (or whatever) the pistol and his unit, the circumstances, anything of interest about how it came into his possession, that adds provenance and some value. Everyone that has those old war trophies sets around and muses over "what stories this could tell..." well if you got a real story with it, that adds interest to the item.
Old September 10, 2009, 06:50 PM   #5
gyvel

If it's dated "1921" on the chamber, then the gun is not commercial, but one of a small number of guns manufactured for the post WWI German Army as permitted by the Treaty of Versailles. As I understand it, these guns are dated either "1920" or "1921."
Old September 11, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
P5 Guy

Didn't Know That

I had a DWM 1921 and the local Luger expert told me that the pistol was commercial, and offered $400 for it. Can't trust anybody when it comes to Lugers.
Old September 11, 2009, 01:05 PM   #7
PetahW

An original magazine will be serial numbered to the pistol.

If one of your two magazines does match, the "all matching numbers" value increases considerably.

As it stands, a 1921 DWM Parrabellum (Luger) can be worth $2500 to $3,000.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977392449...lice_Luger.htm

Old September 11, 2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Lanc

Looking for some help.

I just want to thank everybody. I have some more information.

All pieces are marked #58
I can't confirm the magazine's.
One looks not original and is labeled 42 (655).
The other one is metal but has a wood end that looks like it matches the wood of the gun but no numbers. It looks like it goes with the gun perfectly.
I don't have papers. All I know is that my great grandfather brought it back from Italy where he was stationed during and after WWII.
The checkering on the handle of the gun is almost perfect and the gun was not refurbished but it was cleaned professionally 10 years ago.

I will try to post photos. Does anyone know any place to sell this or if it is even legal to do so?

Thank you.
Old September 11, 2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Lanc

Pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GL_2.JPG (44.6 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg GL_5.JPG (41.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg GLMAG_1.JPG (38.8 KB, 245 views)
Old September 25, 2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Winchester_73

PM sent