The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 10, 2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Cuban_Homer

Gun Safes? What size do I need?

So if I will only be getting my first Handgun in the next few months. What do you recommend as far as storage goes?

Just browsing a bit online, the safes I saw were MASSIVE. I think I would do fine with a lock box for now. Can anyone point me to some brands or websites for people who will just have a handgun and possibly a shotgun and that's it?
Old March 10, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2
JWT

You might want to go to a gun store or sportings good store that has a decent selection of various sized gun safes and actually look them over. Have the safes opened and look inside them. Check out their construction, dimensions, and weight. Then you'll be in a better position to determine what will best suit your needs.
Old March 10, 2009, 12:55 PM   #3
curt.45

if all you ever intend to have is one handgun and a shotgun, maybe look at a handgun lock box and a cable or chain lock for the shotgun.

otherwise I wish I had gotten the biggest safe I could afford way back when I bought my first of three safes.

you can always use the extra space for other valuables.
Old March 10, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Mello2u

What are the purposes of a gun safe in your mind?

Most gun safes are actually "RSC: Residential Security Container. The minimum rating which should be used to protect assets from theft. This rating is usually not accepted for business use. Ability to withstand 5 full minutes of rigorous prying, punching, chiseling, and tampering attacks by UL technicians with a hammer and screwdriver."

They do not provide much fire resistance. A metal case will prevent someone from seeing your weapons. They can secure your weapons from your children and friends.

You are buying time or delay. Real safes are costly over $5,000 for long arms. A TL-15 safe costs many times what a non-rated RSC costs.

"TL-15 (E Rate): Successfully resist entry for a net assault time of 15 minutes when attacked with common hand tools, picking tools, mechanical or portable electric tools, grinders, drills, or pressure devices. Approximate insurance rating for up to $10,000 cash or liquid assets, or up to $100,000 in merchandise. DEA approved for drug storage."

I got a lot of info from this site: http://www.zykansafe.com/ratings.html
" Frederic Bastiat
Old March 10, 2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Cuban_Homer

I think when I say gun safe I mean more like Gun Storage. Basically a place to store them safely when not in use. I do not have any children in my house but I still would like to think they are secure.

I know some people have lots and lots of weapons to store, but such a huge/expensive case is not practical for me. I'm not really worried about theft of my firearms, but rather safe storage of my firearms. In case the friends or family come in with their kids.
Old March 10, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
curt.45

http://stackon.com/securityplus/gun_...s/gc-8rta.html

or a trigger lock should be enough
Old March 10, 2009, 02:43 PM   #7
sholling

For what you're asking for (pistol) I'd just buy a Gunvault and bolt it to the night stand. It won't keep anybody from stealing it but it will keep it safe from kids yet handy for an emergency. Those are the two most important things. (~$100)

A second option if you own your home and are handy with tools is a between studs wall gunsafe. Again it should be in your room and have both an electronic lock and a backup key to gain access if the electronics fail. Avoid biometric locks - they tend to fail when you really need to get in. (~$300)

If you're going to get just one shotgun you can also do an in-wall cabinet and hide it in a closet. Stack-On and Sentry makes freestanding gun cabinets but thieves just take the whole safe because they weigh nothing. Walmart.com sells a small easy to steal 5-gun gun cabinet for $200. Natchez sells a small Stack-On non-fire resistant 175lb safe for $469 with free freight to the curb - you get it inside. They're out of stock but should get more in. Finally Costco will sell you a real fire resistant safe for $800. Personally I'd just use a trigger lock on the shotgun unless I was going to spend at least $700 on a too heavy (400lbs +) to steal safe.

Last edited by sholling; March 10, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old March 10, 2009, 02:46 PM   #8
M1911

Figure out how many guns you'll ever want to own. Get a gun safe at least twice as big. That way, it will be at least a few years before you have to buy your second gun safe.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:10 PM   #9
sholling

Quote:
Figure out how many guns you'll ever want to own. Get a gun safe at least twice as big. That way, it will be at least a few years before you have to buy your second gun safe.
Ain't that the truth! I'm about to order my 3rd safe.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Maromero

Keep in mind you can always store other stuff in your safe along with the guns and ammo. Passports, jewelry, bonds, cash, birth certificates and any other documentation or item you would like to keep away from an intruder while you are way. They do take some space.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:49 PM   #11
M1911

Quote:
Ain't that the truth! I'm about to order my 3rd safe.
I'm on my second. I've taken major pay cuts in the last 5 years, so that's why it still has room.
Old March 10, 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Cuban_Homer

Good suggestions. I think I'll start small and if my collection goes then I will invest in something heavy duty.
Old March 10, 2009, 08:08 PM   #13
bangbangshootshoot

I recently installed this in-wall safe & am quite satisfied with it. It's not super security, but it keeps your pistols out of 'young hands' and you can install it anywhere you like.
http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus.../pws-1522.html
Old March 10, 2009, 09:02 PM   #14
S&W-Keeper

Be careful, it is easy to get one to small.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:25 PM   #15
guns and more

How big? No one ever got a safe too big. Many got one too small. The collection will grow.
I have a Champion 60" x 36" x 23" and so far it's just right. Of course, I started off looking for something smaller. I'm glad I went bigger, you will be too.