The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 13, 2005, 02:55 AM   #1
Helwan

Henry Big Boy's for Cowboy Shooting

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone uses or knows someone who uses the Henry Big Boy in .45 colt for Cowboy Action Shooting. If so, how does it compare to all the marlin, cimmaron, and winchester lever guns? Thanks for your replies.

-Helwan
Old September 13, 2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Quantrill

I have a Winchester model 94 Trapper in .45Colt. I bought it new. Then I had to send it back to the factory, twice, and then with it still not being fixed, I took it to the gunsmith who finally fixed it properly. It has worked great since then with full kudos to the gunsmith. I do not think highly of Winchester, it's service and the lever guns in particular. When I received it back the first time from the factory, it actually fell apart when trying to work the lever action. Quantrill
Old September 13, 2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Gewehr98

One thing you'll definitely notice about the Henry Big Boy...

Is how heavy the gun is compared to a comparable Winchester or Marlin levergun. I was handling the .44 Magnum/.44 Special version not too long ago, and was amazed a pistol-caliber lever carbine could weigh so much. I understand a lot of that mass is in the heavy barrel, but wow!

Neural Misfires