The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2000, 11:50 PM   #1
Ron L

I own a Winchester 140 semi-auto 12 gauge with the 28 inch field barrel and Winchokes. This past year, I got back into deer hunting in our area which only allows shotguns in the firearm zone. I borrowed a friend's shotgun because I don't have a slug barrel.

So, what would my options be? Is a conventional slug barrel available? Would it have sights? What about a scope? Does anyone offer such a barrel with a cantilever scope mount, or would I be able to mount a scope to the receiver?

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society

Old January 13, 2000, 09:23 PM   #2
2shots

Well Ron, here goes. I take it that your guns is a 1400? If so, check the barrel section of Gun List. They often have ads for shorter slug barrels made for the 1400. These are smooth-bores with rifle sights. Forget the cantilever mount for a 1400; they don't exist. Also, the 1400 has an aluminum receiver, so tapping it is asking for trouble. Millett, I believe, makes a saddle scope mount for the gun and I think BSquare does too. That with a shorter barrel could make a good slug gun.
Old January 17, 2000, 03:37 PM   #3
Ron L

Thanks for the info.

The gun is a model 140, which is a lower grade finish version of the 1400, that was usually sold through department or discount stores like KMart or Walmart. The wood isn't finished quite as nice as the 1400, but it's been a perfectly serviceable gun and has hundreds of rounds through it.

I checked and both Millet and B-Square carry receiver mounts so I'll check into them both.

Thanks again.

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society