The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2016, 09:48 PM   #1
osbornk

My first pump

I took a late 40s J.C. Higgins Model 20 12 gauge pump shotgun in a trade today. From what I can tell through looking at it and with some research, it apparently came with a PowePac choke on it originally but it doesn't have one now. It look darn good for being my age (68) and it performs much better than I do. The barrel says Mod on it. Would that mean it would have a modified choke?

I know it is worth very little being a store brand of Sears and made by High Power. I had a 12 gauge single shot when I was a teenager and I have a 16 and 20 single shot now. I inherited them and they are also from the 40s. I have always wanted a pump shotgun.

A man and I had agreed on the price of my 1962 Fairlane 500 that I have had over 27 years. It has been sitting in the building and hadn't moved in nearly 15 years. When he came to pay me, he was a little tight on money and offered me the old shotgun and some ammo as part payment. I subtracted $200 from the price for the shotgun , 22 shotgun shells (bird shot) and 1,685 rounds of 22LR. I figure I have a good but cheap shotgun. I shot it a few times and it performed flawlessly.

I bought the 62 Fairlane because it was made the year I god my drivers license and I have a shotgun that was made the year I was born.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:01 AM   #2
g.willikers

Very nice.
Enjoy.
When you use it, don't forget to pump.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:58 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

It was manufactured by High Standard and is their Model 200. Manual is here.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_20.pdf
Old June 21, 2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Rob228

I've got the same one (my grandfather gave it to me)

If I pump it too vigorously, 2-3 shells fall out of the magazine. Still love it for sentimental reasons.