The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 10, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Orion6

Winchester 70 - Featherweight or Sporter

I'm getting nervous as I've read some rumors (hopefully just that) that the Model 70 will soon be no more, even from the new SC production.

So it might be time to bite the bullet and order one.

I hunt in the east and it's mostly mixed woods, pines and hardwoods with a few open areas.

I have always loved the Featherweight stock (barrel length 22") but also like the classic look of the Sporter (cheek piece, 24" barrel).

What do you guys think? I am leaning towards the Featherweight but since this will likely be the most expensive deer gun I ever buy I'd like some experienced opinions.

Thanks!
Old November 10, 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
PetahW

I prefer the FW for most hunting - although IMHO the SuperGrade is head/shoulders above both the FW & the Sporter.

I once restocked a .338 Win Mag Sporter with a FW stock (I only had to re-inlet the chamber area of the bbl) that turned out to be a decent larger North American game rifle.

Old November 10, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
ltcboy

I'm getting nervous as I've read some rumors (hopefully just that) that the Model 70 will soon be no more, even from the new SC production.

So it might be time to bite the bullet and order one.

I just bought mine. It was made in 1961. Came with a Weaver K4 scope. Fun times.

Mike
Old November 10, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4
jmr40

In standard calibers, Featherweight. In a magnum, Sporter. You don't need a 24" barrel on standard calibers, the slightly lighter weight is an advantage and the cost is a bit less on the FW. The longer barrel and extra weight are an advantage on the Sporter.

My personal preference is the Extreme Weather, but if I wanted wood/blue I'd buy the FW.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Orion6

I guess what I meant was the new SC produced rifles might be going away. Not that the Model 70 would soon evaporate everywhere. Ha ha!
Old November 10, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
coyota1

I prefer the handling of a 24" barrel, and that extra lb for off hand shooting/hunting. Better balance, a little less muzzle blast.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
taylorce1

It really depends on what you want to get the rifle chambered in. If you go with non-magnum cartridges I'd go with the FWT. If you go with a Magnum I'd probably pick the sporter. If you get a FWT rifle in a Magnum caliber you are buying is a sporter contour 24" barrel in a the FWT stock. The slim profile of the barrel and the trim stock is what makes a FWT IMO, I don't mind the looks of the FWT stock with a sporter contour barrel but it just isn't quiet a FWT.

As far as production leaving SC, I doubt it happens anytime soon. Plus if it does I'm sure the M70 is here to stay as I think sales have been going pretty well for them since they came back. They gave up trying to compete for the low end of the market and have placed themselves solidly in the middle, without making a whole lot of compromises to their product. The whole reason that they went to SC was to avoid the Unions that pushed them to bankruptcy.

Of course with the current political climate one never really knows what will happen next.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
gak

I too hope it's not so. Regardless, Featherweight. There are millions (I exaggerate) of Sporters out there--Pre 64, XTR push feeds, Classics (Connecticut) and now FN...you'll always be able to find something...But for me the slim, Schnabel forended (XTR, Classic and FN) Featherweights are the ones to get/"invest" in if you have any concern. Again, non magnum as others have said. JMO.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
30Cal

I like the Featherweight. If you're carrying the rifle all day, it's a big deal.

It's going to recoil more, but you won't notice it when hunting.