The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 4, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Sefner

MI bill to allow carry on college campuses

Here is a link to the sponsoring Senator's statement:

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/s...27&District=17

Basically the bill would make it no longer illegal to carry on campus, into dorms, etc etc. It looks like this is a recurring trend around the nation.

As a college student in MI, this is relevant to my interests.

If anyone is in MI, contact your Senator and email them about it here: http://www.senate.michigan.gov/

This is a very controversial debate amongst a lot of people (even here on TFL), so if we're going to argue about it, let's keep it civil
Old September 5, 2009, 07:47 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Now if only Idaho would pass this kind legislation.... Or maybe I should finish school in MI.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
langenc

It aint anywhere near passed in MI. We still have handgun REGISTRATION and CEZs -one of which are certain restrictions on college campus carry. In the case of 3 state universities they pretty much do as they will regarding CCW/CPLs.

Students/employees are always subject to different rules than friends, parents and other visitors-expelling/firing, you know.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Don H

FWIW, there haven't been any problems with campus carry in Utah to this point. All publically-funded educational institutions, kindergarten through university, must allow on-campus carry with a concealed carry permit. Note that the weapon does not, legally, have to be concealed.
Old September 5, 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
raimius

I hope MI can pass this.
Similar legislation died before it got to a House vote in TX (the Senate passed it).

Colorado allows CC on campus, but there is no preemption, so only one college allows it. Same thing in VA, if I am not mistaken.

Oregon had some issues, recently. I'm not sure if that case was ever resolved.

I wish we could go toward the Utah model!
Old September 5, 2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Sefner

Quote:
Colorado allows CC on campus, but there is no preemption, so only one college allows it.
This is of concern to me being that my college is treated almost like a municipality when it comes to making local law and policy. What was the process of preemption in the schools (board of regeants, etc etc)? Was it even mentioned during the debate in Colorado?
Old September 6, 2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

College and business interests will sabotage the bill, IMHO. They are both in sync on liability issues. Even progun legislators find $$ to bow to the private property lobbies.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:07 AM   #8
RDak

I already contacted my Rep's and Senator to pass this bill.

Doesn't MSU already allow carry on its property? (Not in class though.)

If so, I don't think it is too far fetched to see this type of bill pass in Michigan.
Old September 8, 2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Sefner

Quote:
Doesn't MSU already allow carry on its property? (Not in class though.)
Yes, MSU does allow it on property but not in class. This is a recent change, only happened a month ago if I remember correctly.

Also, as far as liability is concerned, would there be a way to mitigate that in the bill? Like the offending party can't sue the property owners if they were indeed found to be committing a crime?
Old September 9, 2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, bills could have provisions that cover the institution against liability if some student and/or employee carries and then does a bad thing.

But then how could lawyers make a living? :barf:
Old September 9, 2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Yellowfin

Quote:
Yep, bills could have provisions that cover the institution against liability if some student and/or employee carries and then does a bad thing.

But then how could lawyers make a living?
Quite simple. Throw in a liability clause making schools and any other places liable if they don't allow carry. We should turn damned if they do around on them to damned if they don't. Quite honestly I don't know why Virginia Tech's board of trustees hasn't been sued for every dime from their families 3 generations back and 3 generations forward, as they sure deserve to be.
Old September 9, 2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

VT was more vulnerable on failing to deal with Cho's problems and IIRC, they settled out of court.

Schools put much social pressure on victims' families to support the school, school spirit and community - memorials to the victims to short circuit family rage and law suits.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:04 PM   #13
Yellowfin

And as such, we the firearms community need to put pressure on schools by witholding funding via contributions to them until they change their policies. My wife and I do. We have told them that until they rescind their policies against campus carry they will not get a single penny from us. I highly recommend everyone here do the same. Every single school that forbids campus carry or obstructs it in any way deserves to be choked out until they comply.
Old September 25, 2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Ejh28

Michigan no longer requires registration for handguns. That changed at the beginning of this year.

As a fellow college student, I can dream of this passing, and I would like to point out that I helped vote Randy in, he's a good man. But being realistic as I am, this won't make it through. On most campus's it's legal to carry on the grounds, but not in any of the buildings, or the amphitheaters. Some (like MSU) have a straight up ban on firearms on any school owned properties. Large enough schools have the power to regulate the rules on their campus'. So this could pass, and nothing change for us legal to carry CPH'ers.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:23 AM   #15
RETG

You say MI does not require registration of handguns. Do you mean they do not require the so-called 'safety check' of handguns, performed by a person who did not even know if the weapon was loaded, at the local police department? Per MI law, as of March 2009, it states that you still need a license to purchase, unless you have a concealed weapons permit. However, even with a concealed permit there is still a required Pistol sales record that must be sent to the police.
This in effect is a type of registration, and looking at MI's state police site, it is still required. But, I no longer live in MI, so what I am reading may be old news.

I'm just curious if this is still correct. I know that Federal employees who legally carried weapons while serving in MI were still required to register their personal weapons at the local police department (not Federally issued weapons).

Also, noted that local LEOs were required to obtain a 'license to purchase certificate' to purchase their personal weapons, but if they had a concealed weapons permit, they did not require the license to purchase. That I could never understand.
Old September 27, 2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Ejh28

You need a permit to purchase without a CPL, and a copy of your paperwork goes to the local police, you no longer have to take a handgun into the local PD and have them check it.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:08 PM   #17
JuanCarlos

DOH!

Last edited by JuanCarlos; October 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Ejh28

Yes, I was talking about Michigan State University. I live in Michigan, and this bill is about carry on college campus' in Michigan.
Old October 4, 2009, 12:29 PM   #19
JuanCarlos

Nevermind. I guess I'm getting older and need to turn down the resolution on the ol' monitor, because MI totally looked like MT to me (still kinda does).

I wish y'all best of luck on this one, then!
Old October 21, 2009, 03:03 AM   #20
Icanseeyourbits

A similar bill here was proposed, where teachers (typically, former or current LEO or military) were actually legaly allowed to use their CCWs and carry on several of the larger collage campuses... and everyone in the local media subsequently...
-F- -R- -E- -A- -K- -E- -D-
-O- -U- -T-

Sadly, it died in committe, without a proper vote.

*sigh*
Old October 21, 2009, 10:46 AM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

The committee death is interesting. What I gather in TX is that 'pro-gun' legislators will talk up the bills to get support from the gun folk. But they are heavily lobbied by business interests (liability scuzzbuckets with money for YOU), not to pass the bill - so they engage in committee shennigans to keep the bill in committee. The business interests reward them and then they can complain to their citizens how they supported it but the process screwed the little guy. Send a donation and they will fight for carry the next time. :barf:
Old October 21, 2009, 11:07 AM   #22
bambam1723

An armed society is a polite society. By banning guns on campus, all they're telling these nutjobs who are considering going on a shooting spree is "You will be the only one on this campus with a gun".

I recall hearing once that once a shooter, such as one on campus, gets engaged by Officer's with guns, they typically take there own life.