The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1
striker55

newbie, is there a program

I noticed that in reloading manuals they usually suggest a particular case, primer, powder with a certain bullet. Is there a computer program where you can enter which case you want to use with the primer you want, bullet and powder and then the program tells you how much powder to start with?
Old May 30, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
TimRB

I don't know of any such program, and I would guess you're on your own (which is not really so bad). I don't think the databooks are "suggesting" components so much as they are saying something like "Here are the results we got with *these* components in *our* rifle on the day we tested them. YMMV, so use caution."

Tim
Old May 30, 2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
Is there a computer program where you can enter which case you want to use with the primer you want, bullet and powder and then the program tells you how much powder to start with?
Not that I know of, and if there was you would still have to test the load suggestions. Reloading manuals contain load data, meaning they went out and tested the components stated, but if you change anything you may get different results. Typically, you can change the brand of cases, primers, and/or bullets shown in a reloading manual and still get similar results.
Old May 30, 2008, 05:37 PM   #4
steve4102

First you must understand that load data is NOT a recipe and should not be treated as such. Load data is merely a set of guidelines. It is impossible for any load data to be followed to the letter. To do so one would need to have the exact same components as those used in the manuals. That would mean the same powder, primer, brass and bullet including the exact same lot numbers of these components. It would also require that your firearm be the same. Not one just like it or similar, the exact same firearm or test barrel. As we know this is totally impossible. Not to mention the affects of weather, altitude etc.etc.

As I said load data is only there as a set of guidelines, not recipes. You are free to substitute brass, primers, bullet brands(same weight) as long as you follow the #1 rule of safe handloading. That is, any time you change a component you must back off your powder charge and work back up.

There is a program that will calculate these things for you. It is called QuickLoad. QL has a huge powder, bullet and cartridge database and you can plug in just about anything you want. It does not give you the option of selecting brass by manufacturer as this is irrelevant to loading pressures. It does however require that you know the capacity of your brass in grains of H2O. Internal case capacity is relevant to pressure not what is written on the headstamp.

QuickLoad is also not perfect and anything you calculate with it should be varified by other sources and as always, Start low and work up.

Here is a link to QL
http://www.neconos.com/
Old May 30, 2008, 05:48 PM   #5
wncchester

"First you must understand that load data is NOT a recipe and should not be treated as such." Amen.

Perhaps understandably, beginners often think this is a "science" in which this, that and the other will predictibly add up to a specific answer. It doesn't take long to find that's just not the truth. Far to many unknown variables.

Cases, power, primers and bullets are made in large lots. The makers strive to keep things consistant and they generally do pretty well. BUT - things do vary, including our chambers, and sometimes even the components within a given lot change somewhat so we must learn not to "over coolk" our "recipe" and there is no way to predict what will happen until we try it!

Staying well inside the published max limits is the only intelligent way to reload and even that takes trial as we approach the listed max charges.
Old May 31, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
RidgwayCO

The only program I know that does what you want is QuickLOAD. It doesn't differentiate between primers, but can do just about everything else you asked for.

But remember, no software program should be considered the gospel. You need to examine its computations carefully, comparing them to whatever printed reference materials you have available, and proceed with caution.