The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2006, 09:06 PM   #26
goste

I use a strange method. I use the Isso soak, in a plastic coffee can. I pour it back in the jug to reuse. I rinse and put them in a big thick sock. I tumble it in the dryer, with some dry towels, for a cycle. They come out shiny new. Works for me
Old July 17, 2006, 10:54 PM   #27
hodaka

Steamed or fried?
Old July 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #28
Foxman

"WRONG! corrosive primer residue IS hyGroscopic, that's why it's corrosive, it draws water from the atmosphere. However, corrosive primers have not been made for over 50 years. Primer residue from primers used now-a-days do not draw moisture from the air,(hygroscopic).

The carbon left inside cases is nearly impossible to measure. And it does not build up. Unless, of course, you are loading with black powder or pyrodex.
"
Well Snuffy, nobody metioned corrosive primers except you. THe residue from modern primers and the powder is by its nature hygroscopic ( Typo in last reply) and the effect is not to corrode away the case or rifle, but it does change the burning characteristics, the residue tends to build up in the corner of the case near the primer hole at the head. I have sectioned many cases and it is there, The bottom line as I said before, is Factory ammo has a new clean case every time! So for the sake of a few minutes work its worth removing any variable you can. We really dont need to get to the " I store my dirty cases in a hot cupboard" or whatever, our friend is looking for sensible advice not points scoring.
Old July 21, 2006, 07:39 PM   #29
snuffy

"THe residue from modern primers and the powder is by its nature hygroscopic ( Typo in last reply) and the effect is not to corrode away the case or rifle, but it does change the burning characteristics, the residue tends to build up in the corner of the case near the primer hole at the head."

And your source is? This is the first time I have ever heard that residue from modern smokeless powder and/or primers is hygroscopic, either on the internet or in the many shooting magazines I have read. If it IS hygroscopic, it would cause corrosion, both in brass cases and barrels. Well it don't so it's not hygroscopic!

As for the residue building up, it should be measureable. It would DEcrease the capacity of the case with each sucessive loading. So do an experiment, take a new, unfired case, measure it's capacity of water, load it with whatever powder you choose, then fire it. Then measure the capacity again, load it the same way and fire it again, repeat a couple more times. You will see a small decrease after the first firing, but will see no more increase after that. Determining the water capacity should be done BEFORE you re-size the case.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 21, 2006, 09:04 PM   #30
GLShooter

I used rice for a long time when I first started shooting IHMSA back in 1976. I used a standard Thumblers Tumbler at that time. It left a nice clean case with a slightly less bright patina. I eventually bought the big Dillon and have been using it for about the past 13 years. I picked up another Dillon last fall along with a 550 press for $50.00 total (I did buy some components and lots of FACTORY loaded pistol/shotgun ammo for another $50 just so I wouldn't feel TOO guilty!! I also picked up an extra Thumblers Tumbler at a swap meet in CA several years ago for $5 but I did have to buy a new barrel for $20.

I started using ground walnut hulls when I went to the Dillon with some additional liquid cleaners. I now use Nu Finish that I get from the auto parts stores to charge the walnut. I did buy some corncob stuff but I tried it on some rifle cases and it tended to build up in the interior. Poor choice of media for those. I found it works well on pistol brass though.

I never tried the rice on the Dillon. I , for some reason, was afraid the vibrating action would break it down too much. I may just fire up that second big Dillon and try it. Rice is even cheaper than walnut hulls from PetSmart so what the heck!!

Greg