The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2001, 12:18 AM   #1
Slish

Mossberg 590 Sight Upgrade?

I have a Mossberg 590 purchased used about 5 years ago. It has an extended magazine, sling swivels (with integral bayonet lug) and a bead sight. The receiver is drilled and tapped with three holes.

My question is this: with the existing holes (three on receiver and front bead) can ghost ring sights be installed without any new holes being drilled and tapped?

Forgive my ignorance, but in the group of "gunnies" I run with, we don't know much about shotguns.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Slisher
Old November 24, 2001, 06:35 PM   #2
Mannlicher

I sure hope some one answers this one. I have the same problem.

Seriously, I talked to Mossberg the other day about this. You need to order the #95300 sight kit from Mossberg. It comes with the ghost ring rear, and the proper frong sight.

The rear holes are ok for the kit, but the front sight needs to be silver soldered on, the barrel then needs to be refinished. That is from the horses mouth, for what it is worth. I am debating if it is worth the money, about $60 for the kit, and then the gunsmithing fee.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 24, 2001, 10:29 PM   #3
Mo_Zam_Beek

As with all things - how much do you want to spend and what do you want?

Top-o-dee-line (or close enough) = MMC ghost ring.

Good sight without breaking the bank = Call Mossy and ask them to send you a ghost ring set up (that come on some 590's) and have your smith install them. Or send your weapon back.

May want to speak with Ashley for a tritium front to go with that ghost rear.

Good luck.
Old November 24, 2001, 10:34 PM   #4
Mo_Zam_Beek

I am debating if it is worth the money, about $60 for the kit, and then the gunsmithing fee.

Depends on what you want to do with the weapon. Yesterday I fired 35 slugs between 50 and 150 yrds - offhand - snapshots. I highly doubt I could have done as well with a bead sight.

If you fire the weapon occassionally, don't shoot many slugs, and dont shoot much beyond 50 yrds - no they probably are not worth it.
Old November 24, 2001, 11:40 PM   #5
SamAdams

I just shot mine for the first time on Friday. I got the beaded sight too...

The way I see it, it's only for 10 yards max based on that's the longest stretch of hall in my place.

Regardless of the sight, man does my shoulder hurt. hehe but in a good sorta way
Old November 26, 2001, 08:56 PM   #6
Slish

Thanks, All!

Thanks for all who answered. At that price, without the need for gunsmithing, I'd probably do it. I don't know enough about gunsmiths in this area yet to know who I would trust.

Slisher
Old November 26, 2001, 09:43 PM   #7
Mo_Zam_Beek

Saw a Mossy Ghost Ring set on www.ebay.com for $26.00 today.

Look under "Mossberg"

Good luck