The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 12, 2017, 01:59 AM   #26
TMD

Quote:
What kind of distance can I expect from off the shelf ammo in this caliber?
Should be good for a mile and a half, meybe even two miles with the right abount of holdover
Old February 12, 2017, 10:17 PM   #27
ThomasT

Quote:
Why couldn't a 30-30 be a good target gun? If one reloads hornady gmx bullets I don't know why one couldn't expect good accuracy. It seems that maybe the 30-30's reputation suffers from being used in levers that aren't usually scoped and so people and shorter sight radius'? I've heard the same thing about the 7.62x39 Russian as being an inheritantly inaccurate round but I've found that not to be the case when one puts some effort into a good platform and reloading.
Most 30-30s are found in lever guns. They normally have slightly oversized chambers and a rear lock up on the bolt. They also have a tube under the barrel that exerts pressure on the barrel. The pressure is reduced as the gun is fired and the tube gets lighter from the rounds being used up. The guns are designed to be reliable and accurate enough for deer hunting. I have on a few occasions got around 1" groups with Marlin 336s. But that was the exception and not the rule. The normal groupings are around at least 1.5" and more likely 2.5" at 100 yards. Plenty good for shooting deer.

I have read an article by John Wooters and he used a Remington 788 bolt action with spitzer bullets and got less than 1" groups with several loads.

The round can be accurate in the right platform. But there are much better guns for target shooting. And I am a real 30-30 fan. Its one of my favorite rounds and I will buy any 30-30 I can get a deal on. But I know the best use for them.
Old February 13, 2017, 10:37 AM   #28
Jim Watson

Your Marlin will be fine for casual open sight shooting. A receiver peep sight will help but I don't know if they were still drilled and tapped for it as late as 1978.

You may want a recoil pad. The .30-30 is not a Monster Magnum, but the gun is light and the butt is narrow.
Old February 13, 2017, 01:44 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

"...bolt action 30-30's that exist..." Mostly(and sadly) not made any more. At least not the most common tack driver by Savage. If you can find a Savage M340 in decent condition grab it.
"...a 30-30 be a good target gun..." Lever action triggers and factory sights are decidedly poor. From any maker. Like Pathfinder45 says, all rifles are target rifle, but not all of 'em are match rifles.