The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2001, 03:13 PM   #1
KilgorII

I plan to take a whitetail or two with my SKS this upcoming season. Yeah I know it's really early, but I want to have my load worked out well by then.

First, I think a 150 grain pill will be better on whitetails than the standard 125 grain pill. I have found two factory loads with 150 grain bullets and their data seem to bear this out:

Corbon: 150gr JSP 2300fps 1762ftlbs

Black Hills: 150gr JSP 2200fps 1612ftlbs

Remington, Winchester, Federal, and PMC 125 grain soft points all give about 1500 ftlbs. So I think a heavier bullet with more energy is a better idea for whitetail. Anyone disagree?

I have heard people say a 150 grain bullet robs the 7.62x39R of too much case capacity to be effective. The numbers above seem to disprove this. Also I measured a 150 grain bullet versus a 125 grain bullet and the 150 grainer was only 0.070" longer. Not much.

Hornady, Sierra, and Speer all offer 150 grain .311" soft points.

So it is my plan to work up some loads to match or exceed the Corbon and BH loads. I can't afford to buy enough of their rounds to assure myself that it is reliable and accurate enough for me to carry into the deer woods. Also I can't tweak those to my rifle for best accuracy.

So after all that and spilling my thoughts out through the keyboard I come to my question. Does anyone have any experience loading 150's in 7.62x39R? My reloading manuals only list 125 grain recipes. Also do you have any opinions regarding the use of 125 grain loads vs. 150 grain loads.

Thanks guys!

KilgorII

Old January 13, 2001, 04:46 PM   #2
zot

I use Lee's reloading data for a 160 gr. gas checked lead
bullet made from a Lee mold,with 23.5 gr.s of H 335 supposed
velocity from Lee is 2000 fps. and thats with Winchester brass and primers. this round works in all my AKs and SKSs.
I've thought of trying some loads with Sierras .303 150 gr.
SP its .311, using H335 25,5 gr.s velocity is 2132 fps,
these are max according to Lee.
Old January 13, 2001, 07:55 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, one box of Corbon means 16 to sight in and practice with, and two per deer. Some ol' codgers would get all gripy and say one per each is plenty.

You can always load any old 150-grain bullet to get yourself in tune with the rifle. 50 or 100 ft/sec ain't gonna show up in the recoil, and the trajectory will be close enough for government work. Sights is sights, so you do all your training with the cheap stuff.

Re-sight in for the Corbon, then, and be happy.

Unless, of course, ya just gotta tinker, and there's sure nothing wrong with that. Got a chronograph, or access to one? Without it you can't know how you compare to the factory stuff...Anyway, it's a good program to keep you out of the beerjoints and away from the Vidiotbox.

, Art
Old January 14, 2001, 02:44 PM   #4
PDshooter

Save yourself a LOT of TIME! Buy a box of SP. I would not wast my time reloading 7.62X39. Less time at the press more time at the range!