The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
DarthNul

Sig P6 firing pin with flat tip

I picked up a surplus Sig P6. The DA trigger pull with the stock 28# (police) hammer spring (milspec is 24#) was really nasty so I got a Wolff hammer spring tuning set with 16,17,18,and 19# springs.

At 16 and 17# I got lots of light strikes. Sometimes they'd go on the second try and sometimes not. So now I'm at 19 and still getting a few no-go strikes. Looking at the primers that fired, I noticed the strikes were not very deep. No surprise there. I also noticed that the dimples left by the firing pin were much wider than what I've seen from any other gun.

I took a close look at the tip of the firing pin and it is pretty much flat: no rounding or tapering at all. The tip is smooth so I doubt any bits broke off. No sign of any mushrooming that might indicate it flattened out from use, or from being too soft. The gun appeared to have very little use overall when I got it.

So I plan to put a slight taper on the pin and round off the tip, making it more like the firing pins on my other Sigs. I'm thinking this will cure the problem by generating smaller but deeper primer strikes.

Anything else I need to consider here? Would the firing pin need to be hardened after this bit of filing?
Old May 7, 2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It needs to be rounded to correctly ignite a primer. Use a small file, and give it a spherical end, but make sure you don't shorten it.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
nanewt02

If the pin itself is round you can throw it on a drill press or drill and do as Dixie said for a perfect round tip
Old May 8, 2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
but make sure you don't shorten it.
That's for sure.
Might be better off getting a firing pin in the long run. If the pin is worn, and you reshape it to get it to fire, you may find it won't fire reliably or with certain ammo.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:10 AM   #5
DarthNul

Thanks for the input!

I'll narrow the last 3/32" or so and round off the tip. I'd buy a new pin if I could find one but they're not in stock at Brownell's or Midway. Can't find a reduced power firing pin spring for it either.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
jmstr

don't be afraid to frequent the sig forum also. Do a search for it. Lots of very pointed experience over there with sigs only.