Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 4, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1
chadio

Historic bolt rifles... current fascination

Enfield
Arisaka
Mauser
k-31

There is just something about the history and the rifles that I find fascinating. I guess the inspiration is from a co-worker friend of mine, I got to shoot an Arisaka and truly appreciated the rifle and history behind it
Old March 4, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
tahunua001

I agree with you on most of them, at least partially. I love enfields, especially number 4s, great sights, high capacity, good balance and not so bad triggers. I love my savage no4 and have been slowly but surely putting together a fazakerely no 4 in 45ACP, extraction is an issue and still need to fine tune the head spacing but it is dead quiet and great fun.

also own a pair of arisakas, a type 44 and type 99. the 44 is the most accurate of my milsurps hands down but for as compact of a gun as it is, it sure is heavy. the type 99 has a super gummed up bolt, like someone tried soaking it in linseed oil. boiling and vigorous cleanings have loosened it up to the point that it fires most of the time but still has light strikes from time to time. actions are nice though, butter sooth. only issue I have is the sights, the type 99 has the peep sights but are too far forward to offer much advantage over the leaf sights and the type 44 has mauser style sights that have horrible sight picture.

mausers? well the sights are horrible, even for leaf sights. the cock on open designs like the 1896 and other swedish variants have the advantage of smoother operation and speedier action than the cock on close like the much more popular 1898 actions and 6.5 is a much flatter shooting round than 8mm but mausers as a whole, I just never cared for them, US mauser inspired designs just appeal to me more for some reason.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3
tahoe2

mauser fan

2 Yugo's, and a German 98, and 2 Spanish (long rifle & carbine), still want a couple Swedes M96 & M38 and a couple of Argie's ( 1891 & 1909).
The list goes on and on but the check book does'nt. ha ha
Old March 5, 2013, 01:22 PM   #4
DMK

I really love No.4 Enfields. I just wish I could find affordable ammo for them.

I have a real soft spot for 1903 Springfields as well.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
chadio

I'll have to admit that the no. 4 Enfield earns points with the sights and availability of ammo (at least in my area).
Old March 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Rainbow Demon

Probably the most useful of WW2 bolt action rifles would be the very limited shortened and lightened M1917 rifle developed at the Chinese Infantry School in the ICB theatre.
These were otherwise standard M1917 rifles with barrel shortened and front sight ,fore end , and band with bayonet lug set back. Barrel length was around 22 inches.
Similar shortened P-14 rifles had been experimented with by the British.

The No.5 Carbine was developed and in limited issue at the end of WW2. With its ten round magazine theres a capacity advantage over a shortened M1917 with its six round magazine.
The shorter No.5 barrel requires a flash hider that makes OAL the same.

While some shortened P-14 rifles survive in collections, I have not heard of any of the shortened M1917 rifles showing up anywhere.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

just got my milsurps on the wall...

6.5mm Jap carbine with a full mum
Beretta 6.5mm ( mental block on the lil Italian carbine )
Swiss K-31
got a couple sporterized Czech Mausers both in 8x57, & a couple sporterized Enfields

then they switch to semi autos

would like to finish out the bolt section... including an '03 sprigfield in the future
Old March 6, 2013, 07:27 PM   #8
DE Shooter

Folks are getting into Mosin Nagants too!
Old March 6, 2013, 08:34 PM   #9
leadchucker

Grab one of the Soviet refurb Mosins while you can. They are a hoot to shoot!
Old March 7, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

You could make an entire, large, collection of Mosin Nagant variants alone.
Also, right now there are a couple variations of the Steyr M95 available. Another interesting strIght pull bolt rifle to add to the K31.
Of coures If you have the bank to cover theme there is the US military bolt guns like the ,Krag, Springfield 1903, and 1917 Enfield.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 8, 2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Garycw

Historic bolt rifles... current fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Shooter View Post
Folks are getting into Mosin Nagants too!
I've a newfound liking to the mosins. Had a nice 91/30 given to me as a gift and recently acquired a m44 carbine to throw some flames. Ammo is is relativity cheap & still available too

Sent from iPhone

Last edited by Garycw; March 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:26 AM   #12
Gebirg

Dont forget the G.33/40 Gebirgskarabin - i love mine...

When i blast away with my german Gewehr 33/40 1940 mod. somethings happens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kopi (2) av 20120620_160426.JPG (138.8 KB, 38 views)
Old March 9, 2013, 05:16 AM   #13
recon14

Re: Historic bolt rifles... current fascination

A pair of Swedes, rifle and carbine, both with all matching numbers. So much fun to shoot.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:10 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

All the different Mausers have very interesting history, The Yugo, Czech and German all have a long recorded history. The Italian rifles are often over looked but they are pretty nice rifles, ammo is a problem. The Swiss have a good history but not a lot of in theater action. The French MAS used during war2 is another good shooter. The Type 38 and 99 Arasaka are interesting, history is little thin on them.

The Lee Enfields, what can I say, other than I have over thirty now and all are different.

With my USGI stuff it adds up to 55 rifles. So much for having a small collection.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:57 PM   #15
BoogieMan

I love the history that is in the rifles as much or more than the rifle itself. When you cant shoot it its interesting to research them. (im also new to the milsurp) i inherited a Enfield, a sportorized mauser 30-06 and just bought my first. a Steyr M1985 made in Budapest, 8x56r. The looks I get at the range when I pull out a rifle with a bayonet on the tip are priceless.
All 3 of mine tend to like a stout push when closing the bolt rather than gently sliding it home. Is that common among mil-surps or are mine just well used?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 22, 2013, 03:44 PM   #16
fenderguitar007

I love the history behind the old bolt action guns. There is just something about shooting a gun that shaped world events. Great to teach the kids and get them interested about history! I have a 91/30 Mosin, K98 Mauser and a 1903A3 Springfield. I am looking to get the Lee Enfield next, but right now am partial to the Springfield....but that can just be because it's the newest addition to my collection.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:17 PM   #17
kilimanjaro

I have a K98 that was rebarreled to .30-06 by Norway after the war. Nice 1940 byf, probably came in the country with the 1940 invasion and turned in after the war, then converted to the new US/NATO round for defending Norway against the Red menace.

Another is a K98, captured by the Russians, presumably, and given to the Israelis in 1948, then rebarreled to .308 in 1962. Probably saw use on a kibbutz all that time.