The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 03:41 PM   #1
sirbassist

44 mag help

has anyone used, or know of a recipe, using 180 gr jacketed bullets, and AA #9? i cant find any published data, but thats what i have on hand
Old February 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

44 mag help

Closest I can find is for 200 gr XTP which should be safe for the lighter weight 180 gr. from Hornady 9th it shows AA9 at 20.5 - 24.5 gr.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
buck460XVR

While Accurate gives load info for a 180gr bullet in .44 mag using AA#7 and 4100, their lack of a recipe for it with AA#9 makes me suspect it is not a good combo. Will it work? Probably, but it's also quite probable there's a good reason there's no info out there for it. Loading and shooting poor performing ammo is not what reloading is about. Iffin it were me, I'd wait and get a more appropriate powder.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
02bigdogs17

Accurate does not publish a recipe for that bullet and powder combo because AA No.9 is made for the heavier bullets. Most people load heavy hunting rounds with AA No.9 I personally would not use that powder for anything less than 240gr bullets.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:49 PM   #5
jtmckinney

Probably not dangerous to use the data NWPilgrim gave you. but I agree with BigDogs and Buck that AA#9 is for heavier bullets in the calibers it is recommended for. If you are shooting it from a longer barrel revolver or even a carbine rifle maybe you would get better results. If there is a problem it probably would be excessive muzzel blast and lost efficiency.

But Hey! You said it was what you have. If you do try it let us know the results.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old February 23, 2013, 06:17 PM   #6
sirbassist

ill get around to it in a week or so. ill let you know how it works
Old February 26, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

According to QuickLoad calculations it shows a maximum load of AA9 to be about 23.5 gr for a 180 gr Sierra JHP and COL = 1.600". This is less than the Hornady data maximum for the 200 gr XTP so I would use this as a guide.

QL's disclaimer:
Quote:
W A R N I N G !
The data predicted by QuickLOAD CANNOT be used as a substitute for information gained from standard handloading manual references; further, it CANNOT be used as a substitute for conventional handload development - ALWAYS start load development by choosing a charge that is about 10% BELOW the MAXIMUM, but never below the MINIMUM suggested load in a modern data manual, then work up to a (maximum) SAFE load while carefully watching for signs of excess pressure. QuickLOAD cannot consider all possible internal ballistic effects resulting from any of the following: particular gun vagaries; or production tolerances in powder, bullets, primers, and cases; or resulting from peculiarities in handloading and techniques.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 26, 2013, 02:26 PM   #8
black mamba

With the 180 gr XTP in my 629 classic 6", I use 16 grains of HS6 and CCi-350s for about 1550 fps and 1" groups at 25 yards. This is about as good as I can shoot anymore, so the load is probably even more accurate. Almost no recoil at all, but a pretty good "pop"!!
Old February 26, 2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Sevens

First, I will totally agree with all that has been posted. Accurate simply must have a reason that they don't publish data for the 180 grain jacketed slug with AA#9 in .44 Magnum. For some reason, it must have produced really poor results for them, or it actually showed them something they did NOT like, perhaps even unsafe.

I think a phone call or an e-mail to them might bring some answers, but I'm not sure.

But I'll also say this: I have some 180gr XTP's in .429" here also, and a big jug of AA#9 and I also went looking for load data. Like many, I always, always keep my older powder guides, published references and load manuals. And I have a few older Accurate guides. The '92 guide specifically lists AA#9 and has "NR" next to it. They specifically listed the powder, then specifically did NOT list a powder charge. They didn't like it back in '92.

However, my Fourth Edition guide from 1989 does actually list a viable combination.

.44 Mag, 180gr Hornady JHP in IMI brass that they must have gotten as new component brass, because they list the primer as IMI also. (I have IMI brass on hand, but I've never even heard of an IMI primer, so I'm assuming they got component primed brass in this instance)

They show a start charge of 23.0 grains of AA#9 returning 1,300 FPS
and a max charge of 26.5 grains of AA#9 returning 1,525 FPS
when fired from a 7.5 inch barrel Ruger Blackhawk. They do not list any COAL.

They also note clearly that "Slow burning propellants for handguns perform best under maximum confinement and bullet pull. No.9 powder should be loaded full charge with very heavy crimp. Failure to do so could result in poor ignition."

As always, myself nor The Firing Line will be held responsible for anything you take from these discussions, so please use this info with caution.

This is published load data and I have triple-checked what I've entered here, but I don't know who, if anyone, triple-checked Accurate when they published this guide in 1989.

Please report back! I may try this in the future and I will do the same.
Report in this thread!
Old February 26, 2013, 07:54 PM   #10
SSA

The Sierra manual that's on the disc with the old Infinity ballistics program I have shows
20.6 to 25.6 grains AA-No.9 with the 180 grain jhc.