The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Niantician

Ruger Single Ten or Mark III Hunter?

As a casual plinker and sqirrel killer, I would have taken the semi auto until Ruger came out with the Single Ten. But now the race is close. They both have attributes I like. I love a quality single action revolver. But I think they look stupid with anything other than regular sights. The Mark on the other hand, is nicely complimented with a little reflex sight. Both are fun to shoot in their own way. Both look great in their own way, Both command the respect and reputation they've earned through decades of hunting and target shooting. I guess I'm gonna go to the gun store and buy whichever one my gut tells me to. What do you think?
Old December 29, 2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Mobuck

Unless you just like the single action, I'd go with the semiauto every time. I'm a big fan of the 22/45(MK series slightly less) and after having about 15 of them, can truthfully say I never had one that wasn't a good shooter.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3
BerdanSS

I have a single six in .17hmr it's a 7 1/2 inch barreled stainless hunter model. It is currently wearing a 4x20 matte stainless pistol scope (yes it kind of makes it look like han solo's blaster). But you want to talk about tack driving, varmint snap'n, blast at the range, dandy of a pistol.

But I'm a single action guy, If I could only have one out of those two..I'd pick the single six. Nothing more fun to me than being back in the woods at the backstop with a single action plinker in a western rig, blasting everything from spent casings to glass bottles and rotten veggies (for hours, and for less than 10 minuets of shooting with a center fire would cost). but I do have both +.....a plain tapered barrel MKI, an MKII and a bull barrel 22/45 with target sights that I like very well also.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Erno86

If you want to spend the extra bucks...I would pick the Ruger Single Action Hunter: Six shot 22lr/with an extra 22 mag six shot cylinder, V notch rear sight, gold blade front; along with Ruger scope mounts for the notched Ruger barrel.

I prefer shooting my Ruger SA Hunter, over my Ruger Mark Three. I bottom the gold bead in the Hunter V notch rear sight for a 50 yard zero, level the front sight with the top of the rear for a 100 yard zero. The Hunter is an accurate pistol. I shoot metallic spinners, tennis/golf balls at 100/200 yards; at our range {AGC of Marriottsville, in Baltimore County, Maryland}. It's an art form --- in the function of loading and unloading a SA pistol --- that's one of the reasons why I love shooting single action pistols so much.

It sports a 3X Nikon scope --- for even better accuracy.

All I can say is good things about Ruger Repair Service --- fast service, no repair/shipping fee. I broke the anti-reverse paw on my Hunter, about 4 months back. They rebuilt the whole revolver: new hammer and springs, and two new 22lr/22mag cylinder's.

Last edited by Erno86; December 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Erno86

BerdanSS-- Glass fragment's from broken bottles...can cause forest fires, which can magnify the sun's rays.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
weblance

I have a Single Ten, and 4 Mark Series pistols, all target models. The Single Ten is just as accurate as the Mark pistols. I would never have believed that, but I have first hand knowledge of that fact. I like the Fiber Optic sights on the Ten. They really help me get a good alignment. I think either gun will suit you just fine, as a plinker, and hunter. I have 6 Groundhogs with my Single Ten. One was about 60 yards.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
BerdanSS

Erno:

think you meant

can magnify the sun's rays, ...which can cause forest fires.

My entire range area is 6-12" of stone, and some of us like to police brass and keep our ranges clean by picking up targets (and pieces of them) when we're finished shooting.

OP, they are both great pistols, and will give a lifetime of fun and a great tool for training no matter which one you get. There is just something extra special about a well made single action .22....especially when it can do both LR and Mags.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Erno86

BerdanSS --- Thank-you, my bad....and I apologize. I just wanted to bring forth, the dangers of broken glass {in relation to forest fires} on this forum.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Niantician

Its a tough call. They both cost about the same and they both do what they do well.. I really like the mystique of the single action revolver and loading one. But Im leaning towards the Mark III. Like I said, I think I wont make up my mind till Ive got one in each hand though.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:04 PM   #10
weblance

Buy your Mark III Hunter, and then get the Single Ten when you can. Its always nice to have a choice when going to the range.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:54 PM   #11
BerdanSS

Unless you already have...I would handle both of them for a while at the shop when you go to get one. I love my single six, and my little ruger auto loaders. But some people find the grip of the MKII, IIIs (and I) to be uncomfortable or "pinchy" I don't find it to be an issue, but my Dad doesn't care for the grip at all. He got a 22/45 instead of the MKII after shooting my MKII and he likes my single six better than both. He also had a BuckMark camper, which are very nice little auto plinkers as well (but that's another story all together)
Old December 29, 2012, 09:09 PM   #12
BerdanSS

The only gripe I have about the ruger SAs is the loading gate being opened allows the cylinder the rotate instead of having a half cock, and the stops....are miles from positive. This may have been fixed in the new model Ruger rimfires, I believe it was in the center fire SAs. All my ruger sixes are older ones.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:47 PM   #13
9mm

Single 10 is going take you a while to reload, and you gotta push that plundger a bunch of times too unload.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:48 AM   #14
TriumphGuy

Have a look here to solve your problem with the sights. http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_improvements.htm I did this on my MK III with very good results. If you're not planning on filing the rear notch, order a size lower in the front.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Pahoo

No bad calls, here !!

As you have pointed out, there are trade-offs. You are talking about the high end of the MK-III family. I regularly hunt squirrels with a long barrel MK and carry one extra magazine. Personally I would not exchange it for a SA revolver.

One thing that concerns me about the Single Ten or any multiple round revolver, is the potential of losing, "Timing", especially as it wears. I had a DA-Nine and the machining really get fine. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2013, 02:24 AM   #16
jmstr

Remember everyone, the Ruger Mark III Hunter IS a single-action. It just happens to be a semi-loading single action, instead of a single-action revolver.

Sorry: Captain obvious flew through the room.

I am more of a bottom-feeder guy than a wheelman. And I am more inclined toward DA/SA revolvers than single action. That said, I would like to add a single-ten to my family of handguns someday, right next to the Mark II 22/45 and SP101 .22lr 8shot.

All will do the trick you are aiming for. Get the one that you feel the best holding.

I like to load 5 magazines at once and then focus on my shooting with my 22/45, but I also find it relaxing to reload the cylinder and think about my trigger technique.

One last thing I think was mentioned: the revolver allows the use of shot-shells for snakes. Shot-shells won't reliably work the action on most semi-auto handguns. Just a thought.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Pahoo

Versatility, as required !!

Quote:
One last thing I think was mentioned: the revolver allows the use of shot-shells for snakes. Shot-shells won't reliably work the action on most semi-auto handguns.
As well as Shorts and Longs.
Yes, there are still some of us that shoot these ......

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2013, 11:02 AM   #18
jason_iowa

I would go with the single 10. No need for magazines which add up fast cost wise. I have double action 22s 9shot Taurus and 10 shot Smith and like em both more then any 22 auto I have used.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:02 PM   #19
MrBorland

I'd go with the MkIII.

Reloading a 6-shot SA revolver is, IMHO, a royal PITA, so regular reloading of a 10-shot SA revo is out of the question for me.

OTOH, if the choice were between a MkIII and a 10-shot DA/SA revolver (e.g. S&W 617), I'd go with the DA/SA revolver. Besides, I've found my 10-shot 617 (and my MkIII for that matter) to be more accurate than any Ruger rimfire SA I've tried.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:16 PM   #20
TennJed

Quote:
Single 10 is going take you a while to reload, and you gotta push that plundger a bunch of times too unload.
I actually find the Single Ten (& Six) to be quicker to load than the MKIII. Once you do it a few times you realize it can be done fairly quickly. Loading those little 22 magazines are a PITA to me.

Unloading the single actions do mot take as long as some may think to unload it, but it deffiantely is not quick
Old January 5, 2013, 10:16 PM   #21
Deaf Smith

My brother-in-law just got a Single-ten for his 12 year old son (supervised shooting of course.)

His son already had a Henry .22 lever action and it seemed me be best idea since both have hammers and normally cocked or un-cocked.

Now I see no difference in accuracy between the Ruger simi-auto .22s or revolvers so it's a matter of what you need it for.

Deaf