The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Fireman179

Encore

Does anyone have an encore pistol in .357 or .30 carbine? What are they like to shoot? The reason I ask is the look to be a load of fun and my interest is peaked.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
feets

I shoot 22-250, 308, and 460 out of my Encore pistols. Lots of fun once you learn how to hold them.
If you're going to play with the 30 carbine or 357 stick with a Contender. The lighter weight will be nice. Minimal recoil in those two rounds.
Encores are too heavy for such pipsqueak loads.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Hammerhead

I had a custom 9" MGM .357 barrel for my Encore a few years back. I used it mostly as a test barrel with scope for silhouette loads. Lot's of fun at 100 yards from the bench, a bit too heavy for more than a few shots off hand. I liked the 9" .44 Rem mag better.

The G2 was more realistic with the .357.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:36 PM   #4
SVO

I have Contender barrels in both calibers. Both are good choices in the Contender. The 30 Carbine is pretty pleasant to shoot recoil wise with factory ammo but has a pretty good muzzle blast that may bother others shooting around you. With the 30 Carbine, if you reload, you are not stuck with using typical RN carbine bullets. The 357 is a versatal round in the Contender, allowing you to load up or down as needed for hunting or target shooting. As far as use in a Encore, I think the real question would be are either caliber available in a factory barrel or would one have to go to a custom barrel.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Fireman179

.223 looks very interesting considering ammo cost. Anyone have one in .223?
Old October 10, 2012, 05:52 AM   #6
darkgael

Encore

I have an Encore .223 barrel, 15 inches (and a .308 Win. and a .500 S&W).
The .223 is a sweet shooter. I have a 4x Trijicon ACOG on it. I made a little hand held monopod about six inches long. Sometimes when I am shooting another rifle in the prone position, I will set the Encore down nearby and shoot it between sets. Using the little monopod, with one finger wrapped over the barrel, the gun barely moves when fired and is MOA accurate. Eye relief is not a problem since the gun moves so little. But, y'know, with a 15 inch barrel, it's not terribly different than a carbine. Somewhat more portable.

Pete.

Last edited by darkgael; October 10, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I have all 3 calibers in Contender barrels ( the Contender is the Encores little brother... designed around lower pressure cartridges, which the 3 listed fall into ) & all 3 are fun to shoot ( though I get my kicks out of the bigger cartridges like the 45-70 )

it's very addicting these change barrel single shots... I have more Contender barrels than I can count, so I've been dragging my feet about getting an Encore... but a .308 or one of the other bigger cartridges would be even more fun... see where this is going... next would be 7mm mag, then...

also... beware... you'll find the scopes add up fast as well $$$
Old October 10, 2012, 09:04 PM   #8
darkgael

Huh

Quote:
the 3 listed fall into
low pressure?
The .357 runs at 35000psi
The 30 .Carbine has a SAAMI avg. max pressure of 40,000 CUP
The .223 Rem has a SAAMI avg. max pressure of 55,000psi.
Low compared to what?
Pete
Old October 10, 2012, 10:39 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

460 cassull and the super magnum rifle cartridges.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

DARK...

I've forgotten more than most ever knew, as I have many other things to shoot...

I used "pressure" as an easy to use term... more proper would be breech thrust, or one of another scientific terms... for pressure 4exerted against the mechanism ( it has as more to do with case head diameter, & pressure, in some kind of formula, that just chamber pressure )

since you have the pressures handy, or cared enough to look them up... TC did make Contender barrels for 375 Winchester, but "rumor" has it, that's the max that TC feels the gun can handle safely with repeated use, they do not make barrels in 444 Marlin, but some after market companies do, so that one is just over what TC feels the gun can handle, & the 375 is the maximum ( pressure / breech thrust... whatever ) they do not make barrels in 220 swift, 22-250, .308, 30-06, or any of the magnum cartridges ( that I know of )

that is what the Encore is for ( the Contenders bigger brother ) ... in fact you can get Encore barrels in the likes of 416 Rigby, 300 Win Mag etc...
Old October 11, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
darkgael

ah.

Breech thrust limitations. That I understand.
Pete
Old October 12, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12
SVO

Hi pressure breech thrust stretches the Contender frame, which then affects the lock-up of the barrel, A single mis-loaded round can be enough to ruin a frame. Did it once with a 7-30 Waters barrel.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
jmohme

I have .223 in a 14 inch contender. One of my favorite callibers. Cheap ammo and very accurate and consistant.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:37 AM   #14
kcub

Another happy .223 guy. Rifle accurate, tolerable recoil. I don't know why it wouldn't drop a deer with a neck or lung shot though I've not done it. Long ago my first deer was killed with a .222 Remington and a neck shot. He dropped dead right where he stood.