The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2012, 08:39 PM   #1
rhs77430

ar15 gas block

hey so i have a DoubleStar StarCAR heavy barrel 16" carbine. I was wondering what gas block i could replace the a-frame front sight with. i want a low gas block with rails, or just a gas block without rails, but no front sight. suggestion? I don't know what diameter i need either. is it .937" .750" or .625" ? also, I need to know how to install it once i get it. or how much i should expect to be charged for installation by a gunsmith?
Old February 25, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
gunmoney

Larue, Troy, PRI, Yankee Hill, and it is most likely .75.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
DnPRK

Measure the barrel diameter where the existing front sight based is pinned.
I like clamp-on gas blocks.
http://www.egwguns.com/gas-blocks/ar...picatinny-top/
or
http://www.egwguns.com/gas-blocks/ar-gas-block/
Old February 26, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
rhs77430

so clamp on is better than set screws?
Old February 26, 2012, 04:07 PM   #5
ihctractor

Yes, clamp on tightens around the whole barrel vs. set screws that tighten in one spot. Clamp on holds better and won't leave set screw marks in the barrel.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Mobuck

Cut the sight tower off the current gas block, grind to contour, smooth the edges, and blacken the bare aluminum with a sharpie=15 minutes with a Dremel and a marker.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:34 AM   #7
rhs77430

can i do that? that seems ghetto as ****
Old February 27, 2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

You CAN do that, but I'd advise against it. If you decide to change your mind, you can put your factory one back on no problem. If you cut it down, you might need to get the holes reamed for a new gas block.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
Cut the sight tower off the current gas block, grind to contour, smooth the edges, and blacken the bare aluminum with a sharpie=15 minutes with a Dremel and a marker.
Front sight block isn't aluminum. Should be forged steel. You can cut it down, and smooth it, and then cold blue or even Rustoleum oven paint it. A rifle without iron sights isn't really worth much, in my personal opinion.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:05 PM   #10
rhs77430

it will have iron sights, i'm going to put a quad rail on it, it will be slightly shorter sight radius, but going to put flip up front sight at front of rail, buis on back of rail, eotech in between, and vertical grip on the quad rail
Old February 27, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
thesheepdog

the daniel defense clamp on is the best I have used to date.
Get some rocksett too to hold the screws in.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Destructo6

I cut down my front sight base to fit under some free-floating 10" handguards. Used a Dremel cutoff whell for the major work, then a file and Dremel sanding drum for most of the final work. A Dremel buffing wheel finished it off smooth. Finally, I sandblasted the whole deal.

I refinished the sight base and barrel with a bake-on finish from Brownells or such.

This worked extremely well and the price was right.

Keep all of them clean.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Crow Hunter

Quote:
it will have iron sights, i'm going to put a quad rail on it, it will be slightly shorter sight radius, but going to put flip up front sight at front of rail, buis on back of rail, eotech in between, and vertical grip on the quad rail
So why take it off at all?

You are removing the most durable/repeatable front sight out there and replacing it with a folding front sight with a shorter sight radius?

I could see it if you were going with a magnified optic or getting exended (rifle) handguards that will go way out over the front sight and give you an extended sight radius, but an Eotech and a carbine handguard?

Why do you want to remove your front sight? With an Eotech you are going to have a "lower 1/3" cowitness anyway, so your dot will be over the front sight base.

Before you get carried away, you should probably try it out 1st.

You should be shooting with both eyes open looking at the target, and just putting the dot on the target. Unless you have some type of wierd eye problem, you won't even be able to see the front sight if you are doing it right. Just like putting your right hand over your eye with both eye open, you "see through" your hand.

I have a standard FSB with my Aimpoint, and I don't even notice it.

As a matter of fact, I have a fixed Larue rear sight.

I find it is very useful to drop down a little bit and verify that my "dot" still matches my sights.

(The same thing with that forward grip, you will probably realize it is extraneous as well.)
Old February 27, 2012, 10:52 PM   #14
DnPRK

If you plan to install a free floating rail, you will need to completely remove the front sight base to swap the barrel nuts. This means the existing front sight pins will have to be driven or drilled out. Failing that, you'll have to cut the sight base off.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:20 AM   #15
rhs77430

eh, i hate being able to see the front sight in the sight picture of the eotech, i know it sounds whiny but i just don't like it. And im not dead sure about the eotech either might go with a magnified option. either way, i just dont like having a front sight that is in the way, rather have it as a backup, but not always in my sight picture

Tags
ar15 , front sight , gas block , gunsmith