The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 14, 1999, 09:27 PM   #1
Will Beararms

Recently, while getting the deer lease ready for the gun hunt, I had the opportunity to take a break on the target range. I was able to run about 100 rounds through a good friend's brand-new Beretta 92FS 9mm. Using the El Cheapo Winchester 115 grain ball ammo, I was able to put four, three-shot groups in the bull's eye area of a 10-ring at fifteen yards! The amazing thing was that the first shot of all four successful groups was in the double action mode! The double-action pull was not nearly as smooth as the usual fluid motion of the Sig Sauer but for some reason, I had no problem transitioning to the single action configuration and stayig on target at the same time. I have heard several unsavory stories about the M 9 but the more I am around them, the more I like them.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old October 15, 1999, 11:03 AM   #2
Joey

I've been shooting the M9 since 85-86 when the base I was at transistioned over to them from the M15. They are excelent pistols and for all the abuse and misuse have very very few malfunctions or parts breakage. I purchased one back in 93 and the wife has taken it over for her carry pistol.

Old November 6, 1999, 12:05 AM   #3
ghostsix

The M-9 is easy to shoot well.It is not a 1911.
Old November 6, 1999, 12:38 AM   #4

The Beretta is a fine pistol and after much experience with it in poor conditions, I'm quite impressed. There are only two drawbacks I've found. One, the grip can be too large for some folks which is meaningless if it fits you which it does me. Second, the pistol is overly large for the caliber which could also be seen as a positive.
So I guess in my opinion, this is a great pistol and even the negatives are meaningless.

------------------
TJS
Old November 6, 1999, 01:59 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The M9 is a good pistol - but as its bigger than the 1911 - there was the Sig option fo rthose who would be issued it. So now you have two pistols - instead of just the one.
I was issued the Old .45 and when I was given the option - stayed with the .45 until I was discharged.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 6, 1999, 11:28 AM   #6
cdf

The M9 is a reliable sidearm with much potential. Early reports of exessive breakage after the initial batch was issued were due to an alloy mixing mistake at the foundry. The design is a good one, evolved over many decades.

------------------
E4
Old November 6, 1999, 05:08 PM   #7
STLRN

I have been issued five M-9 in my short time in the in the military. The first one was issues at The Basic School, It was almost worn out, when it was shaken, it rattled badly, and was not all that accurate, it did not group well , so as the range started to increase it got hard to hit the center of the target. The second when I arrived in the fleet, a so so weapon, It was a little better than my previous issue, but again, the finish was almost completely worn off the weapon. My third, I never had the chance to fire it had a crack locking block so I never had the chance to see how accurate it was. My fourth and fifth were both amazingly accurate, It was no problem keeping the rounds center mass at 25m. One big problem was always the magazines, they seem to always be the weak part of the system, anything other than new ones never wanted to work well. One thing I have noticed whenever a M9 was at the range it was drenched in CLP. The armorers do that to ensure they function, even with that you do see allot of stovepipes (probably from the magazines) I have been told by the armores if you did not drench the weapons with lube there would be about twice as many malfunctions.
Old November 7, 1999, 09:51 AM   #8
James Montes

The M9 is not a bad weapon...

Its open slide design makes it a reliable feeder and its fixed barrel helps with accuracy...

It's no 1911 however!

I would trade it for a 1911 .45ACP any day of the week as a military sidearm.

The trigger is not that of a SIG obviously, but owning SIGs and being issued the M9 I can say that going between the two, though disheartning, is not a problem.

The SIG P228 & P226 (both 9mm's) are both issued in some circles of the military. The P228 is designated as the M11... The P226 in 9mm is the standard issue of the US NAVY SEAL teams.

Believe it or not the 1911 .45ACP and S&W .38spl. revolver are still seen in certain circles of the military as well!!!

In short the M9 is a good weapon like lots out there...

But I would not spend money on one...

Heck that money could go towards another SIG, or better yet another 1911 custom!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited November 07, 1999).]
Old November 7, 1999, 12:08 PM   #9
cdf

STLRN, Never trust an armorer. They're a sneeky lot. I liked the M9. The one I played with behaved well. But no, the M9 isn't my first choice for a standard issue sidearm. I'd sign a contract with ParaOrdinance for the P18. If given the budget, I'd go straight to the best and contract with HK for the USP...Probably in .357Sig.
Old November 19, 1999, 09:17 AM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

cdf,
If changing calibers from Nato Nine - Why not change to a bigger bullet?
.40 is a proven caliber with a lot of potential. The 135 grain load from CorBon is down right devistating.
.45 is a US Military STANDARD for YEARS. Why not go back to that?

The idea of a USP is a good one. Even in Nato Nine...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 19, 1999, 06:06 PM   #11
Will Beararms

Word on the street is the Army will no longer order anymore M 11's (Sig 228 9mm) in favor of a Beretta M-9 variant. Any confirmation on this?

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old November 20, 1999, 04:18 AM   #12
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Nope... But makes since in a way. Which is surprising.
The reason they got the Sig - was that the M-9 was too big for many shooters... Now Beretta makes the Couger which is easier for smaller handed troops to handle.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE