The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
lemming303

Firing pin puncturing primer/primer blowing out around pin

Hi yall, I'm new to this site and I found it because we have a problem with one of my brothers rifles. Its a PPSH-41 made by Wise Lite Arms. He just bought it the other day. Problem is that with every type of ammo the pin either is puncturing the primer and causing it to blow out or something else is causing the primer to blow out on the firing pin, puncturing it.
He took it to the gunsmith in Fort Worth and they said take it to the manufacturer, but supposedly the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore. I sent them an email today, but I haven't received a reply yet.
Anyway, we are at a loss as to what we should do now. He paid 1200 for the rifle, and we would definitely hate to have to sell it for cheaper because it doesn't work. Thanks for the help yall.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:44 PM   #2
brickeyee

Sounds like an over sized firing pin hole.

It is possible to bush the breech face on most rifles and then bore a new hole.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Joat

Can you post pictures of the punctured primers? It would help in diagnosing the problem.

Two possible causes are that the fp hole is too large as stated earlier or the fp is too long. There are other causes but let's start with those.

Joat
Old March 5, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
brickeyee

The problem is that the recoil spring is barely providing an real pressure when the gun is in battery.

The mass of the slide is far more important.
You have to overcome its momentum to start it moving, and the spring is really designed to slow it down gradually and then supply work to load the next round.

You could try to increase the spring strength enough to help with keeping a blow back closed longer, but it requires careful matching of the ammunition impulse and the spring strength.