The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2008, 01:02 PM   #26
flhidetan

When we first got into tanning, we started brain tanning. It didn't take but 2 and decided there was no way between the smell and the outcome. We also tried different kits but nothing ever came out consistent. Some you will be very happy with but others you'll want to throw them away.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:33 PM   #27
JonnyReb

Glad to see this thread. My taxidermist charges me $60.00 or so for a hair off hide tanned. She sends them off somewhere and it always takes until the next season to get them back. I always wondered about the time and money and see that both are justified...J.R.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:47 PM   #28
armedandsafe

If you are interested in tanning your own, I recommend a copy of FoxFire 3. There are recipes for several methods and a good explanation of how to prep the skin.

I use the soda-alum method and find it rather simple. It does take a little work and careful attention, though.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old March 20, 2009, 11:58 AM   #29
e-bear

bringing it up to date

Pretty poor "soft tan". Be careful about sending a hide to this company. They claim soft tan but, hard tanned at best. Very poor quality on my wifes piebald hide.
Old March 20, 2009, 04:01 PM   #30
simonkenton

Are you saying you are unhappy with work done by Sebring Custom Tanning?
Old March 23, 2009, 12:22 PM   #31
e-bear

not sebring

I dont know anything about Sebring Custom Tanning. I do know that "Size Doesnt Matter Hide Tannery" promised soft tan, accepted my money then delivered a POOR quality hard tanned hide. I wish I had listened to Simon Kenton and sent the hide to Sebring.
Live and learn.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:13 PM   #32
simonkenton

OK, glad to get that straightened out.
As I have said, I have gotten 20 hides tanned by Sebring in 20 years, nothing but good results.
I don't know the difference between soft tan and hard tan.
All my hides from Sebring have soft leather, like you would use to make a coat with.
Hair on only.
Old March 23, 2009, 05:10 PM   #33
bswiv

Now you guys have me worried................

Have a hide off a very nice boar that should be coming back from them in a week or two. And a friend sent them a cow hide......yes a cow hide. And yes he shot it while hunting. And yes it was legal.

I'll post here when I see what comes back. I've got two hog hides here that were done by two different tanneries. Neither one is really "soft" but one of them is done far better than the other.

The nicer one is softer, though not as soft as a deer hide we have, and it's not at all greesie while the other one is stiffer and has a sort of sticky greesieness to it. Neither one looks bad and the hair is firmly attached to both. The softer one smells different, more like regular leather, but the other one does not smell bad, just different.

I'll post a review.....................

And lord I hope that cow hide turns out good because I told him about these folks and he shipped it all the way from Boston!!!!
Old March 27, 2009, 08:41 PM   #34
rcurry

Interesting thread! I may request that the next cow we slaughter that the hide be set aside for me to have it tanned. If any of you have photos of your hides after you have them processed and displayed please post them.
Old March 28, 2009, 02:16 AM   #35
troy_mclure

wonder how much a soft "blanket like" buffalo hide would cost?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 1, 2009, 12:00 AM   #36
dixie paint horse

Sebring Custom Tanning

I just picked up my hides (3) from Sebring Custom Tanning in Sebring Florida and I am very pleased. I dropped off 2 very large cow hides and a much smaller deer hide nearly 10 months ago. I called several times to check on them but they weren't ready yet. It took a couple of days, but they returned my phone calls eventually, if only to tell me they weren't ready yet. I think you just have to be patient. They will get it done. My hides were all "hair on". The fur finished very soft and the hide side was also soft and supple. They were well worth the wait.

No exageration, they must have 10,000 hides of every thing imaginable, gator, elk, moose, caribou, deer, exotics from Africa (stuff I didn't know). I'm told by other people, they are the only commercial "hair on" tanner in the world. Must be true, because internet search doesn't turn up any other names that do "hair on".

I don't make many recommendations, but I feel safe recommending them. I'll definitely use them again.
Old July 1, 2009, 08:00 AM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

They ain't the only one in the world nor even florida for that matter...
Quote:
Size Doesn't Matter Tannery here in Fl
Posted in a thread regarding a hair on hog hide that was tanned...
Brent
Old July 1, 2009, 09:17 AM   #38
simonkenton

Thanks for that report, Dixie.
I didn't know that Sebring tanned anything other than deer hides.
I would like to take a tour of the tannery. It is at the old Sebring race track, right?

Like I have said, Sebring will do a good job for you, and cheap, you just have to wait 10 months.
Old July 2, 2009, 06:42 PM   #39
W. C. Quantrill

What color is the hide when you get it back? Is it natural or is it dyed some pee-yellow color that isnt usable for any projects?
Old January 7, 2010, 10:25 AM   #40
johnwilliamson062

I dug this up because I have a hide I want tanned.
I called the number given for Sebring and got through immediately. Spoke to a woman who seemed pretty knowledgeable. She certainly was not a poorly trained receptionist or such you run into some places. She was able to answer all my questions without any problems.
Told me up front it is a 10 month wait, which is a little inconvenient since i don't know where I will be in 10 months, but I will just have to have my parents hang on to it or something.

$25+return shipping.