The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Rampant_Colt

Clint Smith on Shotguns--telling it like it is!

Link HERE

Highlights from the new Thunder Ranch Defensive Shotgun DVD hosted by firearms training expert Clint Smith. He tells it like it is! You guys new to firearms or shotguns should check out his videos [or go to Thunder Ranch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"I don't need a $1000 shotgun; I need know how to run the gun i've got"

"The shotgun you have is the right one ... As long as you know how to use it"

"if you look like food you will be eaten"

~ Clint Smith
This dude knows his stuff and is qualified to share it with us
Old June 16, 2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Colt

Thanks for the info. I believe Clint is one of the most interesting men I have ever met. This said, I think Louie or John S are truly shotgun gods who actualy carried the gun in harms way. Clint is a great instructor and his real strengths are MP-5, carbine, rifle and 1911 pistol.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old June 21, 2008, 08:50 PM   #3
.351winchester

I'd love to get that whole series. The one involving the defensive use of non-'combat' weapons looks really interesting too. I think Clint had a big part in where the carbine is today for LEO and civilians, love to meet the guy someday (pref. as a student). I'm sure for the knowledge and skills you can pick up on these (which make all the difference), particularly for someone who cannot afford or travel to TR, are a bargain but these DVD's cost enough that I have not gotten any yet, was hoping to find used copies for sale here, but never had any luck. Definately want Awerbuck's dvd too, after learning alot from him on the shotgun, in print.

I should make good instruction a higher priority, will before spending on excessive hardware. The shooter, not the gun, you know. Which is also what Smith seems to be about- on a higher level than most, I've noticed.

Clint is one of the most original thinkers out there, (look at how he's bringing back larger frame revolvers as legit defensive weapons, you can see them making a real comeback), and from what I've seen in Outdoor Channel show clips and reading articles, an excellent teacher. Seems like he wants you to understand the why's, not just go through the motions. Catches what others miss. The great quotes and mottos. The Col. Jeff of today for sure.

This shotgun one looks very interesting, would hope to see his demo's of singles and doubles which he's advocated (as acceptable, or or even more than that).
Old June 22, 2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Zombie Steve

I love the coach gun with the flashlight rubber banded to the barrel!
Old June 22, 2008, 06:28 PM   #5
nemoaz

He should have had one of these. http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=5 I laugh every time I see a pic of that product. Those are tactilame.
Old June 22, 2008, 06:55 PM   #6
YukonKid

Clint is awesome, I hope to travel to TR within the next year, it is quite a bit closer to me now

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old June 22, 2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
"I don't need a $1000 shotgun; I need know how to run the gun i've got"
He said basically the same thing about handguns as he demo'd with his fully engraved Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Laz

Quote:
He said basically the same thing about handguns as he demo'd with his fully engraved Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special.
Of course, the corollary would be "If you do have a $1000 handgun, you still need to know how to run the gun you got".

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old June 24, 2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Slopemeno

Well, to be fair you see him using a Colt Official Police with stag grips in one of the montage sequences as well.
Old June 25, 2008, 08:07 AM   #10
RDak

Does anyone know where I can buy a good ammo holder (one that wraps around the buttstock) for my coach gun?
Old June 25, 2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Slopemeno

The leather ones you see on the double and the H&R single barrel you Clint shooting are Milt Sparks Cold Comfort models, I think.