The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 30, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

Belly Band as a Concealment Option on the Xd9mm 4"?

Wanted to find out what you think about the belly band concealment wrap.
At this time the XD9mm, 4" Service pistol will be my primary concealment weapon. Later I will invest in a small snub that I can pocket carry, but until then my carry weapon will be the XD9mm 4" Service.

Unable to wear jeans or pants 2" larger to accomodate the IWB Highnoon holster like previous thought of as a option. Stumbled across the belly band and planned to wrap it underneath my pecs on my upper chest region.

What are you thoughts or views on carrying a pistol of this size and have any of ya'll used this method? Didn't realize how getting this pistol would affect my ability in carrying concealed. How would the other members here suggest carrying this pistol if it is going to be your primary carry weapon?

Open to suggestions, ideas, and solutions.
Old March 30, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Grandpa Shooter

I used to carry using a belly band holster. I don't believe wrapping it around your upper chest would be comfortable for any length of time, and the lump of a 4 inch gun would wear you down quickly. The belly band holster is intended for under loose fitting clothes, when you can't risk having a holster seen.

Would a shouder holster work for you?
Old March 31, 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Mr.XD9mm

Concealing Help?

Unable to wear a shoulder holster either. Live in the heat of Texas and have not found anything that I can use to carry the Service 4'' version XD9mm concealed. My attire consist of bluejeans and either a button up polo shirt short sleave or any other button up shirt that I tuck in. Every now and then I wear a pull over shirt untucked. Didn't realize how hard it would be to conceal this size of pistol when I bought it originally. Should have went with something more compact or a snubbie that I could put in a pocket holster, but then I would still need a semi to qualify with for my CCW.

I want to be able to carry either or so thats why I went with the XD and thought with my large meaty hands the compact glocks would bite. Shot a buddies small glock and found no problems but chose the XD due to the dual safety features of being able to be locked and loaded and still have the benefits of a safety.

Anyone run across this issue with his or her carry piece eventually I hope to find a smaller snub to pocket carry but at the moment the Xd will be my carry piece and will need a way of concealing it based on the clothing attire I wear everyday.
Old March 31, 2008, 10:46 PM   #4
JustSteve

Hi, I use a Comp-Tac IWB for the XD45,it's kydex so it's not much bigger than the gun.I didnt have to "upgrade" my pants size to fit it and the adjustable height and cant help with overall coverage.If you look into them I suggest the "C" clip,it put's the weight of the gun on your belt,not on the waist band of your pants.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Mr.XD9mm

High Noon's Holster- Hidden Ally ? And Split Decision? with XD9mm -4"Service

Some of ya'll mentioned this holster earlier in the months.
What do you like or dislike about this holster? I sit at in my office at work at a desk most of the time wearing jeans and a button up dress shirt, but no jacket or tie. Don't plan on increasing my pants sizes by 2" to accomodate such a thin holster, what are your takes on this holster.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...dden_ally.html

Also I am considering this on Bare Asset but can someone let me know what the benefits are of having a 15 degree cant? What are your thoughts and which have you tried that are comfortable. Not wearing a holster I cannot see why one would choose cant over no cant.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._decision.html

Thanks for your suggestions earlier about the Comp-Tac holster looks good but really trying to stay in mid to low 30's. By the way I will be carrying my
4" XD 9mm Service pistol in these holster what do you think.

Last edited by Mr.XD9mm; April 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add pic for cant holster
Old April 2, 2008, 07:08 PM   #6
JustSteve

I have foud that the cant helps to keep the grip from sticking out too far when bending or sitting.Carry postion is something to consider when choosing type of holster.I like to be able to reholster one-handed ,so either os the Highnoons would be out for me.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Rufkarma

Belly Band - Good

I've worn a belly band for several years with an oversized [heavy] t-shirt. Wear it high and it's virtually unseen; just practice, practice, practice your draw and re-holster; it ain't pretty.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Alan Truism

Belly Band as Strapless Shoulder Holster

I've got an abundant gut and was thinking about trying to use the belly band as a shoulder holster.

If you look at this holster it does not appear to be much different than a belly band but it is a bit more expensive ....

Stoner Shoulder Holster

Video of Shoulder Holster

I don't know why a belly band wouldn't do exactly the same thing.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Vt.birdhunter

Quote:
I've got an abundant gut
Im a distinguished member of the same club

I love my galco belly band. I can wear a full frame auto or similar completely concealed in shorts and t-shirt.

It does feel restrictive around my aforementioned belly at times. More comfy standing or walking than sitting.

Rough textured grips (like glock RTFs) will cheese-grate you pretty good.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Alan Truism

Gut

I was thinking of trying it across the chest, above the gut.
Old February 1, 2012, 03:21 AM   #11
fivepaknh

I recently bought my first belly band and found I can't conceal anything much larger than an LC9. I prefer to use my Smarycarry holster in clothing that doesn't have a belt. I can even wear the Smartcarry in looser jeans. It hides everything up to a full sized 1911.
Old February 1, 2012, 08:55 AM   #12
tet4

I found that wearing a belly band as a shoulder holster didn't work, and that's with a sp101. The problem is that the elastic, if tight enough to actually hold the gun in place, is going to squeeze your lungs - it's just ver uncomfortable. If you think this type of carry will work for you, try the kangaroo carry holster as the strap is not elastic, and it supports the gun with a shoulder strap.

I use a belly band at the waist, appendix cross draw. I found that I needed a fair amount of room in the pants to make it comfortable, so instead of buying all new jeans, I lost a few pounds and am planning to lose more. I know it's the hard way to go, but if you have about 10-15 pounds to spare, you might find carrying iwb the most comfortable way to carry. Once I realized this, it dawned on me that I could probably carry just about anything iwb if I worked a little bit at finding the right spot.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:07 AM   #13
ragwd

I have a belly band and it conceals nicely, my draw back is speed of the draw. Its very slow to get out from that far under. Some will dissagree, but I never got the hang of getting it out fast.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:30 AM   #14
dyl

I have both IWB and belly band. The only time I would use the belly band is for jogging with a snubbie since gym shorts don't have belt loops.

That being said I have stuffed my compact semi auto in there and it fits. It isn't as secure as a molded IWB holster - names mentioned above are great, I'll add Theis Holsters to the mix (shipping included was a plus). If you do choose the belly band remember that it can be worn down low just like an IWB holster but usually they can't be canted. Aside from canting to aid concealment the added benefit is that if you wear around 3 to 4 o'clock position the V between grip and slide allow you to bend sideways instead of poking your ribs.

For comfort I recommend IWB hybrid design. The wide leather slab really distributes pressure against your skin. I can really feel the contours of my pistol in a belly band, and a revolver cylinder really digs in as mine is not cushioned or reinforced. Cannot recommend belly band for daily wear in a snubbie. Good thing is that most belly bands accommodate a range of pistols so you may find use for one eventually. When I do use the belly band I wear it down low because the snubbie digs into my ribs I'd I don't.

And don't forget the itching and sweating and having it shift around.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:51 AM   #15
dyl

If you have to do it, you just have to but I think the discomfort of belly comes from: lack of cushioning combined with nature of the design. Belly bands cause a constant pressure - and constantly press your gun against you at all times. In contrast, IWB / belt systems only resist when whatever is on our belt tries to leave your waist. Belt systems don't unconditionally press against you. It would be like someone following you all day long pressing a slab of metal against your side in contrast to just holding it there.

Yep, you can see I don't like them but I have one for rare use.

I didn't alter my wardrobe for carry. Some of my jeans work fine, some don't. For the ones that don't I actually don't button them and the zipper may even be open a tiny bit. The belt holds them up without a problem all day and my shirt overlaps enough.

Need cheap clothes? Try the Goodwill and you can experiment with jeans/ khakis of all sizes for just a few dollars each.
Old February 10, 2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Roger G

OK U ask
I got a band type Holster from STONER HOLSTERS in Ohio. In fact I have 2,one Im wearing and One in the wash. I use it in an under my left arm cross-draw config. I carry either a COLT 38 detective(which is my favorite) or my Glock 19. I forget I have it on sometimes. I have seen and felt a Desert Eagle in this band and its comfortable. The fabric Im told is what they use on Burn patients in the hospital. IT breathes. The closeure is true VELCRO. They cost about $44 bucks. I love mine. I wear it above my Tee shirt and then a shirt over that,but it can be worn against the skin and a tee shirt over if you desire.STONER has a video of this holster on their website.
ROGER

Last edited by Roger G; February 10, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Alan Truism

Kangaroo

http://www.kangaroocarry.com/air-marshal-ii-holster

Nice Jugs