The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 6, 2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Nagano21

Cops

Anyone just see cops on Court TV. Anyway cops responded to a robbery in progress arrive and find the dead BG behind a condo complex shot. Home owner at first denies shooting the BG, then later tells detectives he shot him when he was confronted with him in his dwelling. Pretty good self defense case IMO, wish cops gave more into the stories, such as aftermath, for ones which are interesting like this... Esp since when they found the dead BG he was face down with a hand gun next to him with no Mag inside it... until the homeowner owned up to shooting him they thought another guy was involved in it... Pretty crazy
Old February 6, 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Maser

I don't mean to sound anti-LEO here, but the COPS show is so freaking fake. There is so much editing they do. I know a friend who has an older friend who was on COPS before. No, he's not a BG. He was a cop. He told us both that they edit the show a lot and that in some cases the BG actually gets paid to "resist" arrest. I am NOT lying here. Just telling what I was told.
Old February 6, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3
G-Cym

Why would anyone expect to be taken seriously if they going to change their story to the police when involved in a fatal shooting?
Old February 7, 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
tlm225

It's not too surprising that the homeowner denied shooting the burglar at first. He had taken a human life, an act that most people, no matter how justified, find a bit overwhelming. Yes it does hurt his credibility, but in this case the physical evidence and other facts uncovered in the investigation may verify his final account.

While I have no doubt that editing is done to the COPS episodes (gotta eliminate the 98% of boring material) I would need more than a "friend of a friend of a friend" account of suspects being paid to fight.
Old February 7, 2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Vince13

I know they do editing, it's TV, and I know they have to tell everyone about the camera man before hand, and have them sign a waiver after taping, it's TV.

But they don't pay people to resist. It's not Jerry Springer. "An older friend of a friend's cousin's second uncle in law told me" is not good enough, try again.
Old February 7, 2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Maser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm225
I would need more than a "friend of a friend of a friend" account of suspects being paid to fight.
Well, I for one believe it. I mean come on. What BG is going to REALLY resist arrest when there's a huge camera in their face and can easily be identified if they were to escape. The only real COPS episodes were the early ones. It's just like how it is in boxing. Used to be real, but now has got so commercialized, that rather than being real, they just do what the people want them to do. Just think about it for a second. If you had to sit through 2 episodes of COPS and 1 episode was nothing but BGs being arrested without incident or violence, or an episode action packed and with BGs resisting arrest? Which would you choose and which would get the higher ratings? I'm not saying everything is fake now in that show, but most of it has got to be staged. For one thing, when do cops really treat a BG with as much respect as they do on the show? That's nothing compared to them dashboard camera videos that always get leaked to the public where the cops are cussing and yelling like crazy at the BGs.

I hope I don't come off sounding anti-LEO or pro-BG. Just stating my oppinion and what I been told.
Old February 7, 2007, 08:50 AM   #7
akr

You can tell when the LEO's are concious of the camera. They turn on their politeness to the law-breaker a little bit too much. He he he
Old February 7, 2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry folks; Hollywood or not, it's a TV show and has little bearing on us in tactics and training.

Off topic & closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread