The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 7, 1998, 02:56 PM   #1
Doc Lisenby

I have misplaced the subject blocks for my Unertl Rifle Scope that fit on my pre-64 Win Model 70 with heavy varmint barrel (243 Win). I called George Mitchell of Mitchell Optics 'cause he is the only one I know who makes these type 'scopes and he is sending me a pair which he thinks will work and he gave me a name of a guy who makes them. If you have ever tried to mount a 'scope on a Winchester Mod 70, you know the hassle of getting the right set of internal adjustment mounts, now I'm trying to get the external ones. I know they are around here somewhere (famous words of old gunsmiths). George, have you heard of anyone who might have a set? The ones in GPC aren't the ones. Doc
Old December 7, 1998, 10:40 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sorry, Doc. I don't know of anyone right off hand. I'll keep my "strained" eyes open for you though and if I run across anyone I'll give you a shout. George
Old December 8, 1998, 11:00 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I was reading Jeff Cooper's latest, and he mentioned development efforts on ext-adj mounts for fixed-power scopes. Reminded me of the old Stith mounts, used with B&L scopes some 40 years or so ago.

I went to my Wild-Animal box, and Lo! An old Stith. Heavy & clunky. If somebody can use it, I'll ship it UPS COD-shipping or some such. I don't need it...(And, no, I don't know what sort of rifle it was on. Maybe, just maybe, a Model 70, but maybe a Mauser 98.)

Apparently there's a developing market "out there" for a lighter-weight, cleaner-lined adjustable mount. Talk to Jeff...

Best regards...
Old December 12, 1998, 10:29 PM   #4
GLV

Talked to Jeff Cooper on the subject of external adjustment scopes late last month. He stated that there may be something in the, perhaps near future -- and that was all he would say on the subject. GLV

------------------

Old December 12, 1998, 11:21 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Talk about being a**backwards. I inheirited a scope which needs just those types of external adjustment mounts. If I keep the scope, I have to buy the mounts and a rifle to go with it. Maybe I can convert the 10/22 since I just got a heavy barrel?