The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 8, 2005, 08:06 PM   #1
Garand Guy

P. Sauer & Sohn Mauser

I am restoring a Mauser for my wife's uncle. He said it was a German mauser, but the stamping says "P. Sauer & Sohn Suhl 1916" I am looking for any information in can get on this rifle. Thank you. Garand Guy.
Old August 8, 2005, 09:49 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The information is correct. Sauer & Sohn was a German arms maker for both military and civilian guns. The rifle was German army issue; 1916 is the date of manufacture and was, of course, right in the middle of World War I. Probably the rifle is (or started out as) the standard Model 1898 rifle, but we would need more info and/or pictures to determine if it may be a less common variation. Also, if the rifle has been cut down or "sporterized", its restoration would be very difficult since almost no original parts, such as stocks, exist for rifles of that vintage.

Unless it was altered, the caliber is 8mm Mauser, also called 8x57JS or 7.9mm.

Jim
Old August 9, 2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Garand Guy

The gun is in the original configuration (non-sporterized). On the left side of the gun, under the company stamp is the number "8115" which I assume is the serial number.

On the left side, on the front barrel band is the number "4896"

On the right side under the company stamp are the letters "R" "M" "D" with a crown or something above each letter. These letters are very faded.

On the right side under the rear sight is the stamp "S/42G" and two "war-bird" stamps, side by side with the stamp "W_A411" under each one.

Over all, the gun is in pretty good condition for its age. There is some surface rust and the bolt is missing. Does anyone know if a K98 bolt will fit here? I'm not looking to restore to firing condition, but his wife wants it to look nice for a wall hanger.
Old August 10, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4
jacobtowne

As Jim said, it was originally a Gewehr 98 with a 29 inch barrel and volley rear sight (looks like a ski ramp). After WWI, it was converted to 98k configuration with flat leaf rear sight and shorter barrel. The S/42G signifies that the work was done at Mauser Oberndorf.
JT